replace tires for better all around performance

colotaco

Adventurer
Just bought a 2010 Tacoma DC, has an OME 3" lift with Dakar Leaf springs. The tires on it are Goodyear Duratracs 285/75R/16's they rumble and bumble and wanted some advice for a better size and brand for all around performance. I live in CO and do alot of off road / back country trailhead stuff, no rock crawling though. I am sweet on BF Goodrich AT's just dont know what size to get with the lift so truck wont look weird, i.e. lift with small tires= dork. BTW, current tires are too big for my tastes.

I did some searching but didnt really nail it.

Thanks.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
That is a huge tire. 255/85/16 is popular with the ExPo crowd, but not so much with the tire stores. I say go with something that is commonly sized and will help your gearing at the same time. 265/75/16 is pretty popular and looks fine with an OME lift.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I just went through this last year. You're essentially running a 33" tire; consider moving to a 32", like a 275/70 or 265/75. I did so and really like the results. I really like the look with my 3" lift.

Sent via fat thumb

Clutch

<---Pass
Check out Coopers.

I am looong time BFG guy, like 25 years! switched to Coopers, not going back.

Discoverer S/T is comparable to BFG AT

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T.aspx

you're fine with 285's they'll roll over obstacles just slightly better than a smaller size.

the engine is plenty strong enough to pull that size, if you want a little snappier throttle response
you could always re-gear down the road, don't think it is needed though.

Last edited:

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
He said the tire is too big for his tastes, why try to talk him into keeping it? I didn't like that size, either. Particularly did not like the throttle lag or the slight rubbing. Really like the 32" BFGs.

Sent via fat thumb

Clutch

<---Pass
He said the tire is too big for his tastes, why try to talk him into keeping it? I didn't like that size, either. Particularly did not like the throttle lag or the slight rubbing. Really like the 32" BFGs.

Sent via fat thumb

I like 32's as well...nothing wrong with 33's though, isn't going to be a huge difference in the end, barely tell any difference in 4-Lo.
Re-gearing is just a different approach/view to get the desired performance. Looks wise some think the 33's are better, re-gearing gets
the performance back.

Both the BFG AT & MT's 32's rubbed on my 1st gen, while the 32's Coopers STT's don't...go figure. :) I fricken love that tire, simply blows BFG MT out
of the water...wears like poo though. I "might" get 24K miles out of them...but that is ok, I'll take performance over wear. Think I just use my locker rather than pulling it into 4WD anymore. They are that sticky.

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
285/75 is a huge tire for a daily driver of a fellow already unhappy with that size. It is a lot of rolling resistance and it's heavy. Remember that going from a 33 to a 32 is only a 1/2 inch loss of ground clearance. If you are ever airing down, then the degree to which you do it will render the 1/2 inch pretty insignificant. So on a daily basis, a slightly smaller tire will pay benefits in power, economy and by reducing strain on the drive line. Even one as stout as on a Tacoma.

Having lived in Alaska for several years, I have to agree with Kermit - Cooper Discoverer ST's are fantastic tires. Got me everywhere be it over snow, rock or glacial silt. I enjoyed great life out of my set, but then again I don't wheel to wheel but rather to get somewhere, and 6 months a year were on snow, so results will vary. The BFG AT is a great tire too and has been around a LONG time. It's just not as great as the Cooper.

colotaco

Adventurer
I thought of another question and I dont want to clutter up this site. Has anyone come across a mod to mount a 285/75/16 spare in its spot under the bed? It will fit but rubs against the exhaust.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I'd look at Yokohama Geolandars. I've enjoyed nice success with them.

I'd stay away from BFGs. I've been extremely disimpressed with them and have no idea why they are so popular.

Yes, slightly smaller than 285 is what you are likely in need of.

Clutch

<---Pass
Having lived in Alaska for several years, I have to agree with Kermit - Cooper Discoverer ST's are fantastic tires. Got me everywhere be it over snow, rock or glacial silt. I enjoyed great life out of my set, but then again I don't wheel to wheel but rather to get somewhere, and 6 months a year were on snow, so results will vary. The BFG AT is a great tire too and has been around a LONG time. It's just not as great as the Cooper.

I was forced to buy them by BFG, since they quit manufacturing a 32" tire for a 15" rim, they were on back order for a year or so IIRC. Not sure if they started to
manufacture again in that size though, haven't checked recently.

I am glad they did "force my hand", it got me to try Coopers...love that tire. Going to try the ST next. Will have to finally break down and buy 16" rims though.

austintaco

Explorer
Before you replace the tires, make sure the suspension components are all working properly and that one of your tires or all of them are not cupping. I am just coming off of having some Cooper ST in the 255/85/16 size that have given me nothing but trouble over the years in balancing and wear pattern.

I decided to go with BFG MT for this round, and the ride, compared to the Coopers is phenomenal. The caveat to this is that I also just found out that my suspension was installed incorrectly up front, and that might have lead to an alignment issue and thus the issues with the Coopers.

Personally, my favorite all around A/T type tire is the Nitto Terra Grappler, but they don't make that in the size I like to run.

Clutch

<---Pass
Before you replace the tires, make sure the suspension components are all working properly and that one of your tires or all of them are not cupping. I am just coming off of having some Cooper ST in the 255/85/16 size that have given me nothing but trouble over the years in balancing and wear pattern.

I decided to go with BFG MT for this round, and the ride, compared to the Coopers is phenomenal. The caveat to this is that I also just found out that my suspension was installed incorrectly up front, and that might have lead to an alignment issue and thus the issues with the Coopers.

Personally, my favorite all around A/T type tire is the Nitto Terra Grappler, but they don't make that in the size I like to run.

No issue with my STT's. I rotate every 5,000 miles, every other oil change.

Like you said, cupping is a suspension problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger