Replacement Ladder for My Rooftop Tent?

Myron

Hello everyone. I have an AutoHome Columbus that I've owned for a few years, and although I love my tent, I hate the ladder it came with. My son has a Yakima tent and it came with a telescoping/collapsing ladder, which seems like a better way to go. I'm interested in a telescoping ladder of max extension 8.5 feet and with hooks on the end that would hook onto the tub of my AutoHome. I've done some Googling around, but haven't found anything that seems just right.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Myron

000025260035.jpeg000025260035.jpeg

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Myron, what exactly don't you like about your ladder? From what I can see in your picture, it may flex a lot because it is at its limit - stop against stop. You might want to exchange it for a longer ladder.

Ladders seem to be an afterthought and not a lot of thought goes into them. I have something of a custom rooftent and I was looking for ladders that would be super light and double as a compression struts on either side. I got a couple AutoHome ladders because they were about half the weight and you easily modify to get it to lock at the exact heights you need.

Myron

Hi Lemsteraak,

Yes, thank you for your thoughts. I do like the low weight of the AutoHome ladder, but my current vehicle is rather tall as you point out so I must keep the ladder at its maximum extension. There are two things I don't like about it (well, three actually).

1) When it's on super flat terrain, the angle against the car/tent is acceptable, but if the terrain is at all uneven, the angle can become too vertical. It's not uncommon under these circumstances for me to have to prop the legs up on stones or wood. All of this leads to irritating instability.

2) When it is at maximum extension, it feels rather flimsy and janky.

3) Perhaps the thing all AutoHome customers complain about is the slipperiness of the ladder's hooks against the aluminum edge of the tent's tub piece. It is constantly sliding left and right while you are using it. Combined with complaints/conditions #1 and 2 above, it makes for an unsettling and dissatisfactory experience.

I'd consider buying a longer AutoHome ladder, but they are north of $400 and I am unconvinced that it would solve the combination of problems I'm experiencing.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
You are right, that isn't working for you. A taller ladder will help a lot.

I'd suggest starting with the folks at AutoHome and see if you can exchange your ladder for a taller one. They try to include a ladder that works for your intended rig. It is common to keep the tent when you change vehicles so you may need a ladder that is taller or shorter. I would think they would have a spare ladder they can exchange with you at a reasonable price. Yours looks like a standard height, for something like a Subaru, you need their tall ladder.

They really don't do a very good job explaining how the ladders work and why they are designed as they are. AutoHome tents were originally designed for expedition use, and in areas where you don't see much pavement. The first ladder I saw was a similar design to the new ones but made of steel. It was two parts and didn't lock. The idea is that the two half were designed to slide. You would set up the ladder, hook the ladder to the tent opening and then step hard on the bottom of the ladder. The bottom of the ladder would sink in as much as six inches into the soil or sand, locking it in place. The bottom was in place so then when you got to the top section it was suspended from the tent and as you would put your weight on it you would feel the ladder flex a little as your weight was now suspended by the vehicle. This was normal.

These original ladders were pitiful on pavement, they couldn't get a footing and would slide. Locks or binders were added for pavement on the newer ladders. The old ones were great, you could separate the two halves and use them as sand ladders in a pinch. They were steel so you would just bend them back after.

So, use the locks on pavement. In the dirt or sand, anchor the bottom of the ladder and you don't need to use locks. The new telescoping ladders that I've seen are really heavy, complicated, and don't like dirt in their locking mechanisms. I use AutoHome ladders even though I don't have one of their tents anymore.

Last edited:

Myron

Thank you, Lemsteraak! Your information is very helpful and I enjoyed learning the history of the AutoHome ladder. I do really like my AutoHome tent, and enjoy the heritage and legacy of the company. It's great to know you still use an AutoHome ladder even though you don't use their tents anymore! :))

JackW

Explorer
I use one of these 8.5 ft telescoping ladders - steps are much more comfortable than the steel Maggiolina ladder.

1711237417005.jpeg

My ladder has some hooks riveted to the upper section and I have section of T-slot aluminum bolted to the outside edge of my roof rack for the hooks to slip into for a secure connection.

Attachments

• IMG_20210415_125948198_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210415_125948198_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210415_092758977.jpg
    IMG_20210415_092758977.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Myron

I use one of these 8.5 ft telescoping ladders - steps are much more comfortable than the steel Maggiolina ladder.

View attachment 825862

My ladder has some hooks riveted to the upper section and I have section of T-slot aluminum bolted to the outside edge of my roof rack for the hooks to slip into for a secure connection.

Very innovative solution, @JackW. Fun to see someone using their Series Land Rover this way, too. We used to take ours on big adventures, but I confess I've gotten a bit old for that now.

Myron

I bought one for my tent. I really like it, way more comfortable with bare feet. The steps are at the correct angle to be flat on your feet and are wider to boot.

Thank you, @dcg141 -- very good to know. I have sent OK4WD a message and asked if they think the Alu-Cab bracket would go on my AutoHome tent.

JackW

Explorer
Very innovative solution, @JackW. Fun to see someone using their Series Land Rover this way, too. We used to take ours on big adventures, but I confess I've gotten a bit old for that now.
The roof tent is on my D-90 with the 300 TDI but I do have two Series IIA's - the 1966 109 diesel wagon in the background and a 1967 88" that I'm doing a frame up restoration on but it's on hold until.tbe new shop is done. Driving old Land Rovers helps me stay young at heart at age 72.

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_173508449_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_173508449_HDR.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 4

acg

Adventurer

View attachment 825862

My Baroud factory ladder is a similar two piece bulky design, ie, hard to stow inside the truck.

I changed to the telescoping ladder purchased on Amazon. I simply transferred Baroud's mounting hooks and riveted it to the new ladder as shown in the pic.

Attachments

• Baroud Ladder.jpg
    Baroud Ladder.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 2

alia176

Explorer
I'm late to the party but here's my .02 cents. I too have the Columbus Variant and tossed the ladder first thing, and got one of those telescopic ladder. Then, I upgraded to a second telescopic ladder from iKamper, because the rungs are bare feet friendly. Additionally, there are two eye hooks up top that allows the ladder to be attached to the side of my RTT.

The barefoot friendly might sound amusing or trivial to some, but I tell you what, it's the bomb diggity. We usually leave our footwear at the bottom and just walk up with socks or barefoot. Most ladders have sharp rungs that don't feel good but the rungs on this ladders are rotated just enough to make this process pain free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online