Replacement larger diesel tanks

half-cab

From the above post: I can fix a leaking steel tank in the field (soap, tire patch, RTV silicone, or liquid steel). I can't fix a leaking plastic tank, the flexing will defeat the soap, patch and RTV, and the RTV and liquid steel won't stick well to the plastic.

I would advise against using RTV to repair any fuel tank. I have a buddy that used it for a field expedient repair in his Jeep and he had no end of fuel line blockages. The fuel eventually 'ate up' the silicone and chunks of it ended up in suspension in the fuel. He ended up replacing his tank, filter, and fuel lines. I am also guessing that tire patch (depending on what type) could land you in the same fix.

Albin

Adventurer
I read the last two pages and miss your point. I've been pretty satisfied with TF in my vehicle.

The TF tanks don't just gravity feed, they have a computer that controlls the fill of the OEM tank, not the injector or 'fill tube' of the OEM tank.

The last two pages are a copy of a USDOT letter categorically stating that gravity feed of diesel fuel is legal per USDOT. Transfer Flow states on their website that gravity is illegal "... except ICC diesel systems." In other words, TF is lying. Or they are incompetent, of both.

If I had spent as much money as TF charges for an aux or replacement fuel tank, I'd probably defend them too, if only to save face for overpaying.

D

DEEZLPWR

if your tank is hanging down low enough to catch a twig lying on the ground then you have a problem. My dodge came with a stock plastic tank, ive beaten the heck out of it and it has only seen dirt spray. Unless your draggin the azz end all over the place and your tank is where a spare tire would be, then go steel or put a steel plate under the plastic tank.

I think there is too much fear of plastic as it cant take a direct impact on a rock and live. What if your steel tank does that and splits a weld seam...? stuff will happen with either tank, pros cons for both. I will continue to run plastic as in all the years ive driven off road ive never had a problem. Sometimes deforming around something can be better than taking the full brunt of impact and not live afterwards.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Albin, you are being unfair to SunTzuNephew. "He" is not defending TF but providing reasons for his choice of mfgr as well as additional info on TF and Titan products. Useful, I think to the OP.

Like SunTzuNephew, I made an eyes wide open purchase that I'm pretty happy with. Although I spent much more than he has quoted, what with shipping, tax, brokerage, exchange and being (probably) overcharged for installation. But that’s my reality - no complaints.

And the the beauty of the internet: you have no “face”. :peepwall:

Thanks

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
if your tank is hanging down low enough to catch a twig lying on the ground then you have a problem. My dodge came with a stock plastic tank, ive beaten the heck out of it and it has only seen dirt spray. Unless your draggin the azz end all over the place and your tank is where a spare tire would be, then go steel or put a steel plate under the plastic tank.

I think there is too much fear of plastic as it cant take a direct impact on a rock and live. What if your steel tank does that and splits a weld seam...? stuff will happen with either tank, pros cons for both. I will continue to run plastic as in all the years ive driven off road ive never had a problem. Sometimes deforming around something can be better than taking the full brunt of impact and not live afterwards.

All good points - but bigger tanks are bigger, and may hang lower. Also, if a steel tank splits a seam I can fix it temporarily in the field fairly easily, if a plastic tank gets a 'twig' through it, not so much. After all, the factory usually make skid plates available for a reason, steel or plastic tanks notwithstanding.

aquawolfe

Aerotanks

I had an Aerotank put in after about 10 other firefighters I work with did the research and liked them. It's 48 gallons. I'm getting 700miles out of a tank without my camper and boat. Haven't gone on any trips towing yet. The tank is steel, baffled, and has heavy duty brackets that are bolted to the frame and crossmember rather than just two straps. Cheaper than the Titan and TF as well.

Spur

Adventurer
My buddy put an aerotank in his '98 CTD. He's been really happy with it. He had it for less than 24 hours before we banged it up on a couple rocks. Apart from a couple scuff marks it seemed just find. Seems like a good product.

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
Extra fuel options

On '03 and later Diesel Dodges you can add 4+ gallons to the stock 34 gallon tank by adding vent hoses to the 2 expansion chambers on the tank...they are there for gasoline versions of the truck.

I have also looked at this quarter panel extra tank option: http://tourbuddy.com/. This could work well with any open pick up bed application.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I know that TF used to and may still test their product for compliance with both the DOT stds (mostly a drop test while AIR) and the EPA regs. They used to make a big deal about this. Have not looked at their page in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger