Replacing Compass Bulbs in Center Gauge Cluster, Gen 2.5

jlocster

Explorer
Just wanted to add to the knowledge base.

If your compass backlighting goes dark...
IMG_20130301_172247.jpg

...you will need 2 of these. You can buy them from the dealer.
IMG_20130301_173105.jpg IMG_20130301_173159.jpg

Pry off both plastic screw caps on either side of the gauge cluster hood and unscrew both screws.
IMG_20130309_142855.jpg

Remove gauge cluster hood.
IMG_20130309_132257.jpg

Remove 4 screws attaching gauge housing to dash.
IMG_20130309_132009.jpg IMG_20130309_132021.jpg

Lift gauge housing and disconnect wiring connector.
IMG_20130309_131631.jpg

Flip housing over and unscrew 2 lower (outer) and 2 upper screws to separate gauge housing from dash trim.
IMG_20130309_131538.jpg IMG_20130309_131535.jpg

CONTINUED IN POST #2...

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
...continued from post #1

Remove 6 screws attaching clear plastic lens.
IMG_20130309_131140.jpg

Tilt compass forward.
IMG_20130309_125304.jpg

Both bulbs will be visible at the rear of the gauge.
IMG_20130309_125234.jpg

Turn bulb counterclockwise with a slotted screwdriver and remove. I had to use a small hooked pick to fish the bulb out.
IMG_20130309_125335.jpg

Installation is the reverse of disassembly.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
And if you want to replace them with LEDs you use these fellas here,I did that a few years ago and never had to worry about the fillament lamps blowing again

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/T4-1-SMD-Neo...CarParts_SM&hash=item4aaf0b3121#ht_2334wt_937
I wonder why they're only sold in Europe on eBay??

These look a bit cheaper via amazon.com... http://www.amazon.com/2-led-Lights-...F8&qid=1370277742&sr=8-2&keywords=T4+Led+bulb

Have you found LED's for the other instrument lights? Type 72 or was it 74?

Last edited:

GFO

Observer
Update: Those bulbs worked nicely, they looked a little too small at first, but they fit. One thing of note, the stocks were incandescent covered with a blue rubber sleeve, these are just white LEDs, so the compass is brighter now than stock. I personally don't mind it.

I found it easier to open up the compass box (push in the 3 plastic tabs in back carefully) than to fool around with tweezers trying to coax the bulbs out of the holes.

GFO

Observer
No problem.

I ordered some LEDs from amazon that I think will fit the instrument cluster, I'll update after the arrive/I try to install.

GFO

Observer
So I thought I'd update a little.

These: AGT 10x 194 168 2825 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb bought off Amazon worked great for the back-lighting on the instrument cluster and turn signals (total of 7 bulbs). They give the cluster a nice cool blueish glow which seems to look like something found on a much more modern car. I'll take and post a pic later if anyone wants. I also suspect one of these will work in the back-lighting for the compass-oil-volt cluster, I will be checking and swapping later.

These: T5 B8.3D Car 5050 SMD LED Speedo Dashboard Dash Side Gauge Light Bulb White bought from Ebay unfortunately did not fit in the cluster for all the other lights (gear selection, drive, parking brake, check engine etc. etc. etc. (total of 27 I believe), they were slightly too large. So the search continues.

redbugz007

So I thought I'd update a little.

These: AGT 10x 194 168 2825 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb bought off Amazon worked great for the back-lighting on the instrument cluster and turn signals (total of 7 bulbs). They give the cluster a nice cool blueish glow which seems to look like something found on a much more modern car. I'll take and post a pic later if anyone wants. I also suspect one of these will work in the back-lighting for the compass-oil-volt cluster, I will be checking and swapping later.

These: T5 B8.3D Car 5050 SMD LED Speedo Dashboard Dash Side Gauge Light Bulb White bought from Ebay unfortunately did not fit in the cluster for all the other lights (gear selection, drive, parking brake, check engine etc. etc. etc. (total of 27 I believe), they were slightly too large. So the search continues.

I would love to seem some pictures. I have quite a few lights that do not work on mine and am looking to replace/repair most if not all the lights while I'm at it.

JamesW

Adventurer
I would love to seem some pictures. I have quite a few lights that do not work on mine and am looking to replace/repair most if not all the lights while I'm at it.

Here's mine. Needed a different one for the inclinometer,as the spread wasn't enough. I'll have a look at what I have in the instrument lights and post back,I know the climate control takes the same as the compass

GFO

Observer
Excuse the glare, the camera on my phone is lousy. As I suspected, the rear illumination for the volts and oil pressure was the same bulb:

zu2x.jpg

So if you want to replicate this, you'll need at least 5 of the LEDs I used, or a total of 8 if you also want to LED the turn signals and the transmission "Hold" light, though they only seem a slightly brighter green and orange respectively and 2 of thesefor the compass.

The compass looks fine in person, it's about 25% brighter overall with the LEDs.

Last edited:

GFO

Observer
Here's mine. Needed a different one for the inclinometer,as the spread wasn't enough. I'll have a look at what I have in the instrument lights and post back,I know the climate control takes the same as the compass

James,

Did you LED the gear indicators, drive-wheels, battery warning etc.? If so, which bulbs did you use, I've been looking for an LED replacement for these:

6icr.jpg

Last edited:

Dwing

Observer
Good thread. I just had the gage cluster light go out on my Gen3. Looks like I have about 6 screws to remove but will need to get the bulb from the dealer unless anyone knows which bulb it is? My local autoparts dealer does not have listing for the bulb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998