Replacing struts on James Baroud tent

acg

Adventurer
I have a Baroud Grand Raid XXL tent. Love it for the last 7 years that we owned it and it was used extensively for our family trips around the country.

The struts are appear to be getting old and hard to pop open the tent. I am thinking of tearing open the strut's fabric cover, and either replacing the struts and greasing the scissor joints.

Has anyone done this and care to share any tips? As well as sources for the struts please?

Thanks in advance!

acg

Adventurer
Quote from Baroud Portugal...

The struts are 56 euros EACH. Freight to Britsh Columbia from Portugal is 42 euros.

Ouch!

Looks like the aftermarket route is the way to go.

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
Quote from Baroud Portugal...

The struts are 56 euros EACH. Freight to Britsh Columbia from Portugal is 42 euros.

Ouch!

Looks like the aftermarket route is the way to go.

Find out the following, then order from Mcmaster carr
-psi desired. This one can be tough if you can't read that info off the sides of your current struts. I'd guess somewhere between 30-50psi per strut, but that's a WAG on my part.
- extended length
-compressed length
-mounting style at each end. if they're round "eyes", find out the ID of the holes.
www.mcmastercarr.com

acg

Adventurer
Find out the following, then order from Mcmaster carr
-psi desired. This one can be tough if you can't read that info off the sides of your current struts. I'd guess somewhere between 30-50psi per strut, but that's a WAG on my part.
- extended length
-compressed length
-mounting style at each end. if they're round "eyes", find out the ID of the holes.
www.mcmastercarr.com

Thanks for the guidance! I will post what I find out on this thread later on. There is not much info in the Web on aftermarket replacement struts for Baroud tents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger