Repower for Toyota T100

HINO SG

Adventurer
I've done minimal research on the subject but any thoughts on repowering the T100? Seems like there would be a lot of room in the engine bay and an older 4cyl. could be picked up for a reasonable price.

Anything in particular that makes the 4x4 T100 significantly less capable off-road than the LC?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
hinoranger said:
I've done minimal research on the subject but any thoughts on repowering the T100? Seems like there would be a lot of room in the engine bay and an older 4cyl. could be picked up for a reasonable price.

I would honestly hold out for the 5VZE V6, easy to upgrade, easy to source a low mile motor, etc. While I feel the smaller 3RZ (I4) and 3VZ (V6) are OK powerplant in the smaller pickups, I think they underpowered for the larger and heavier T100. If you could find a T100 w/ the 3VZ and a blown head gasket (notorious on this motor) you could have a killer platform for motor swap, I would opt for the 5VZ myself.

hinoranger said:
..Anything in particular that makes the 4x4 T100 significantly less capable off-road than the LC?

Not to take away from the T100 as I think they are great setups and can be built to be phenominal rigs. While you didn't specify which "LC" I'll base my comparisons off of a similar year, so say a 95' FZJ80. The LC has solid axle, a pretty stout motor, a killer weight bias, lockers F&R as an option, seating for 5-7, etc. Its pretty hard to compare the two, one offers a pickup bed and one offers passenger capacity though I think it completely fair to say they can both be outfitted to satisfy the needs of their owners.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
cruiseroutfit said:
Not to take away from the T100 as I think they are great setups and can be built to be phenominal rigs. While you didn't specify which "LC" I'll base my comparisons off of a similar year, so say a 95' FZJ80. The LC has solid axle, a pretty stout motor, a killer weight bias, lockers F&R as an option, seating for 5-7, etc. Its pretty hard to compare the two, one offers a pickup bed and one offers passenger capacity though I think it completely fair to say they can both be outfitted to satisfy the needs of their owners.

Very well said Kurt.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
cruiseroutfit said:
one offers a pickup bed and one offers passenger capacity though I think it completely fair to say they can both be outfitted to satisfy the needs of their owners.
This is really the bottom line. As capable and everything as an 80 is, it's not a pickup and will never quite fit if that's what you need. So Kurt is right when he draws that distinction. I personally had a FJ40 and never really clicked with it, too small and cramped in some ways, too much room in others. We never really found the right key to make it work. We came from a Super Cab Ranger to the FJ40 and followed the 40 with a XtraCab pickup, which fits us perfectly. That's why I've owned this one now 9 years and have no desire to replace it. It's important to know, we also don't have kids and I imagine that makes choice of vehicle different.

That said, the T100 will never be as capable as a 80 (or any solid axle Cruiser) because it runs leafs and IFS. The T100 is a hodge podge of parts, sorta the runt kid of the Toyota pickups. With a solid axle fabricated under one, I'm sure they could be pretty capable. But still compared to an 80, not much is as flexy. Personally I don't feel limited by IFS, but I'm just an explorer and not a dedicated rock crawler.

The T100 runs the same IFS as I have and the main advantage IMO to the Hi-Trac IFS is that it's a relatively simple and primarily a stout IFS. It tucks the torsions up high, is reliable, reasonably well protected ball joints and steering. It has a couple of weak points that are easily addressed (idler arm and lower rear frame truss). But it will never flex anywhere near as well as a coil IFS or any solid axle. Once you forget the holy grail of axle articulation and just drive it, it won't matter. It's comfortable on the highway and does OK within it's limitations. Bring an extra CV axle, maybe an extra upper and lower ball joint and it won't strand you under typical overland use.

I would look for the 3.4L ones at the end of their production or get one with a 3.0L and do the 3.4L swap (easier starting with a V6). Although I'm sure the 2.7L 4 cylinder is OK, couldn't be any worse than my truck with a 22R-E. But it's slow, don't expect miracles. Other swaps might be possible, there is a bit more room under the hood compared to the mini trucks like mine. So if they can fit in a 4.3L Vortec V6, small block Chevy, etc in a mini truck, then I'm sure it's possible to do with a T100.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
cruiseroutfit said:
I would honestly hold out for the 5VZE V6, easy to upgrade, easy to source a low mile motor, etc. While I feel the smaller 3RZ (I4) and 3VZ (V6) are OK powerplant in the smaller pickups, I think they underpowered for the larger and heavier T100. If you could find a T100 w/ the 3VZ and a blown head gasket (notorious on this motor) you could have a killer platform for motor swap, I would opt for the 5VZ myself.

Or how 'bout a 1GR-FE?..:jumping:

Kurt - Have you seen/heard of anyone that's tried this yet in any application?

shawkins

Adventurer
Having done a 3.4 swap myself, my advice would be to find a T100 that is factory equipped with the 3.4.

While the 3.4 swap is not very hard (The darn thing literally bolts right up to the motor mounts and the bellhousing. The 3.0 and 3.4 share the same block, making it one of the easiest swaps around), it is not worth the cost and the hassle since the T100's came from the factory with the 3.4 towards the end of their production run.

I only recommend the 3.4 swap for earlier 4Runners and pickups since the 3.0 is a dog and can have reliability issues, and they weren't offered with the 3.4 from the factory. I think that if the vehicle was offered from the factory with the 3.4, why go through all the trouble of swapping?

My '91 4Runner originally had the 3.0 and it kind of died at 250K. The 3.0would have been easily repaired as there was no internal damage but it was a great excuse to do the 3.4 swap. The vehicle now has over 330K and is still running strong! The running gear is pretty much the same between this generation of 4Runners, pickups and T100's so it just goes to show how long these vehicles last.

shawkins

Adventurer
Jacket said:
Or how 'bout a 1GR-FE?..:jumping:
Is that the 4.0L V6? If so, I know of a few swaps into early pickups and 4Runners, but it's not nearly as popular as the 3.4 swap due to the fact that you have to fab new motor mounts and you can't use your old tranny.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
^Yea I knew it would be more work. It's good to hear some experimenting is already going on with the 4.0. Probably while the 3.4's are still in abundance they will remain the most popular swap due to the ease.

HINO SG

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
This is really the bottom line. As capable and everything as an 80 is, it's not a pickup and will never quite fit if that's what you need. That said, the T100 will never be as capable as a 80 (or any solid axle Cruiser) because it runs leafs and IFS. The T100 is a hodge podge of parts, sorta the runt kid of the Toyota pickups. With a solid axle fabricated under one, I'm sure they could be pretty capable. But still compared to an 80, not much is as flexy. Personally I don't feel limited by IFS, but I'm just an explorer and not a dedicated rock crawler.

Kind of what I was thinking. Find the cheapest 4x4 T100 you can, replace the bed with an Oz- style tray or even purpose- built camper box, and start doing stuff with the drivetrain. perfect.

only thing is the $1000 T100 probably isn't going to be an Xtra Cab. The extracab does mean a lot in terms of livability on multi-day trips.

jim65wagon

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Most of the 4x4 T100's came with the 3.4 v6 so it would be bolt on depending on bell housings or any thing drivetrain related. I'm pretty sure the T100 was the first toyota in the states to have the 3.4 motor before or around the same time as the Tacoma, could be wrong on that though. My brothers 96 T100 came with the 3.4.

DaveInDenver

taco chaser said:
Most of the 4x4 T100's came with the 3.4 v6 so it would be bolt on depending on bell housings or any thing drivetrain related. I'm pretty sure the T100 was the first toyota in the states to have the 3.4 motor before or around the same time as the Tacoma, could be wrong on that though. My brothers 96 T100 came with the 3.4.
The T100 was made from 1993 to 1998, it only got the 3VZ-FE 3.0L V6 at first, then in 1994 got the 3RZ 2.7L 4 cylinder. In 1995 it got the 5VZ-FE 3.4L V6 and you are right, that happened one year before the intro of the Tacoma and the 3rd gen 4Runner. But there are two years where the truck had the 3.0L, so they are out there.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
DaveInDenver said:
The T100 was made from 1993 to 1998, it only got the 3VZ-FE 3.0L V6 at first, then in 1994 got the 3RZ 2.7L 4 cylinder. In 1995 it got the 5VZ-FE 3.4L V6 and you are right, that happened one year before the intro of the Tacoma and the 3rd gen 4Runner. But there are two years where the truck had the 3.0L, so they are out there.

It was close though, the Tacoma technically came out mid 95' as a 95' badged model (so it would have been produced late 94 or more likely early 95'). Its possible the 3.4l debuted at the same time in the T100.

DaveInDenver

cruiseroutfit said:
It was close though, the Tacoma technically came out mid 95' as a 95' badged model (so it would have been produced late 94 or more likely early 95'). Its possible the 3.4l debuted at the same time in the T100.
Yeah, obviously the 5VZ was supposed to come out with the Taco and so the T100 just got at the start of the model year rather than with the mid-year intro of the Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan