Repower for Toyota T100

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Cackalak Han said:
I'd vote for a 3.4L w/ a TRD supercharger. No custom work necessary--just bolts up.
:iagree:... the best suggestion in this thread yet.

DaveinDenver said:
...the T100 will never be as capable as a 80 (or any solid axle Cruiser) because it runs leafs and IFS...

Personally I don't feel limited by IFS, but I'm just an explorer and not a dedicated rock crawler.
Said the guy who just pushed, pulled and drug his IFS & leaf sprung Hilux over the Rubicon... :coffee:

hinoranger said:
Anything in particular that makes the 4x4 T100 significantly less capable off-road than the LC?
Just the nut behind the wheel.... ;)

hinoranger said:
The extracab does mean a lot in terms of livability on multi-day trips.
Absolutely.

F'rinstance, a 45 qt fridge fits perfectly, and can be fully opened in the backseat of a T100. It's not a comfy seat to sit on, but you can pile plenty of duffle bags, sleeping bags, Thermarest pads, toolboxes, recovery gear and other items that need to be kept dry and quickly accessible.
I like your idea of a ute bed and/or camper. That's the direction I see mine evolving into with each bed dinger, dent and pulled apart pinch weld.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
kcowyo said:
Said the guy who just pushed, pulled and drug his IFS & leaf sprung Hilux over the Rubicon... :coffee:
Which is to the point that (1) IFS is really not that evil and (B) that I will try anything once. Next time Rubicon is done on two wheels or maybe just two feet... A rock crawler by heart would have seen my Rubithon as a challenge, I saw it as a reinforcement of my desire in truck characteristics.

HINO SG

Adventurer
Interesting thread. Thanks for putting up with my "ask questions first, google later" approach to the topic.
I hadn't really thought about the fact that the bigger V-6 might be a perfectly acceptable motor to begin with, and the supercharger sounds like turnkey option with a lot of potential.
Turns out the 4-cylinder was 2wd only (kind of knew that in the back of my mind) and the extracab didn't come along until 1995.

Interesting how, compared to the hilux/tacoma a lot of used T-100's are in really good shape, so they're not dirt cheap. Not a lot of xtra cab 4x4's for under $4k, even $5k.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
I have a 97 T100 with the 3.4l and a TRD S/C. I run 35" and 37" tires with 4.88 gears and have no problems towing my camper or 85 4runner truggy, o and i can light up the tire like i have a v8 under the hood :D. Although it would be cool have v8 under the hood i would rather put a diesel under there ,4 or 6bt but in Co.I can only put a d300 in it since the t100 is a "light truck".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior