Required Parts for Expedition Jk

williard86

Observer
I'm curious to see what you guys carry in regards to parts for your JK or jeep in general. I'm speaking mainly of trail repairs. I'm picking up a spare serpentine belt but is a pulley necessary? What about a radiator hose? I don't think I'd be capable to repair an axle but maybe a u-joint. I also realize its dependent on terrain and duration. My next trip is about 10 days highway and desert.

I just wanted to hear some opinions and sorry if this has been discussed my search didn't turn up much.

timgr

Observer
Hi - not for the JK but Jeeps in general - I replace all the belts and hoses and keep the old parts as spares.

In the olden days, all Jeepers carried a spare fuel pump and water pump. Replacing a fuel pump in the field could be difficult on a JK, depending on where the pump is located. Possibly you could strap a spare inline fuel pump to the frame, that could be plumbed in if the in-tank (?) pump failed.

Mostly I would think about the kinds of problems that could strand you. The most common are no-start/no-run. These are usually due to loss of spark or fuel. The fuel pump mentioned above fits in here. Not sure what the problematic ignition parts are on a JK... modern systems are quite a lot more reliable than they were, but the vulnerable points can be a little mysterious. Certainly I'd carry a good multimeter and materials for wire repairs.

Tire problems are very common. I'd carry tire repair materials. In the old days, we'd carry a tube the right size for our tires. Certainly a puncture repair kit would be a good item to carry and know how to use.

This is a cmmon topic on the 4x4 boards - you should be able to turn up a lot of discussion with a search.

williard86

Observer
after some research, one of the more substantial problems that the JK is susceptible to is a broken/twisted/bent sector shaft. It's something that is not easily repaired on the trail for sure and it totally immobilizes the vehicle. I think a brace is in my near future. Does anybody carry tie rod ends? Pitman arms?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
........... Does anybody carry tie rod ends? Pitman arms?

I don't carry a spare pitman arm, as the chances of breaking one are slim (hit a big rock, just right, real hard, then maybe)

But for sure spare TRE's (Tie Rod Ends) and spare u-joints and axle joints.

Takes a while, and you will learn what the weak points of your vehicle will be.

It's hard to prepare for every scenario, but for sure bring any special tools you might need (not sure on the JK's) but on my TJ (and XJ/ZJ) it requires a 36MM nut for the front axle shaft, and a 13MM 12 point socket to remove the unit bearing bolts.

You want to make sure you have those 'oddball' tools that aren't in a lot of tool kits.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I keep a bunch of tools but currently no spares. I've been slowly trying to upgrade a lot of known week parts.
But I could easily throw in spare u joints, and pick up a spare synergy tie rod end I suppose? I have upgraded tie rod, track bar, sector shaft brace, sleeved and gusseted the front axle etc. My biggest concern at this point would be axle shafts but it will be a while still until I pick up RCVs and chomoly shafts for the rear. I do want to upgrade the transfer case shifter linkage or at a minimum carry metal bushings to deal with a potential breakage since its also a common problem.

scottman

Observer
Spare ujoints specifically for my JKs. Carried full inner/outer shafts for the TJ, but only joints for the JK. Also repair tape for hoses, spare fluids, and a full tool bag. Of all the trail breaks I've seen or been a part of the spare parts were not as important as knowing how to use the tools you have to get you off the trail...

will

Adventurer
Hey Brian - I've been researching upgrading the weak points of an AEV 3.5" JKU just as you have done. Do you have a recommendations of where to get the parts and the work to be done in the Portland area? I am short on space and tools so unfortunately I prefer a reputable shop if you could make a recommendation.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Unfortunately I really don't have any recommendations for work. I bought several items from northridge4x4, some things from pol performance, and installed everything myself.
I'm running the 3.5" AEV lift, AFE exhaust y pipe, tom woods front drive shaft, synergy track bar and frame side track bar brace w/sector shaft brace, synergy tie rod, synergy ball joints, EVO front axle sleeves, c gussets, control arm skids blah blah.

I still plan to get a synergy rear track bar, and upgraded axle shafts like I said. Most front axle gussets interfere with the AEV track bar bracket, so I ended up having someone else do all of the metal work, he cut the brackets to work together and welded all of the brackets on to the axle. It's tough with so much aftermarket stuff available, finding things that work together.

For what it's worth, I hear a ton of great things about northridge4x4. They are in Washington also.

Septu

Explorer
Honestly, not nearly enough. I pack some tools, wire, duck tape, fluids, survival and recovery gear. But then I'm always wheeling close to home, or with many other people.

will

Adventurer
Thanks Brian, I'll probably end up doing it myself too like I did with my previous Rovers. I'll just have to juggle some time around as always. I'm really interested in the Synergy track bar brace & sector shaft brace. It appears to be something that won't interfere with the AEV brackets on a 3.5" SC lift.

Rayholio

I try to keep mine as close to stock as possible.. mainly to lower the possibility that I'll need parts I can't get.... but the number 1 failures are always battery, and tire. Those are the 1st things you shoul prepare for... Spare belts and other things that are light weight, low cost, and have a higher than average probability of failure are next..... I personally wouldn't carry too many of the heavier parts unless I know for a fact that it's a weak point.. and that its failure would leave me completely immobilized.

You can only prepare for the unexpected so much... it's nice to have a backup plan. :)

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
The synergy track bar and brace doesn't interfere, and made a huge improvement on steering feel and response. I think it was around $400 for the parts and very much worth it. The tie rod and ball joints were a big help too, though it was around $575 for those parts. I wasn't sure the pintler wheels would clear the tie rod when I looked at the required backspacing, but there is no clearance problem at all.

null-15.jpg

will

Adventurer
That's sweet. Thanks for the picture, it helps a lot. Man this thing sure is turning into a money pit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle