Reskar's best bang for buck build.

reskar

Observer
So I got my CB installed. I'll be honest I splurged a bit on this one. The double din radio with no nav has really bothered me, it just seems like wasted space. Also the Bluetooth on the jeep radios is AWFUL so I made sure not to get it. This has made replacing that stock radio tempting. I gave in and had the radio replaced with a single din radio and a CB. I never use the CD player so not having one in the replacement saved me a fair amount of money. JVC sells a model (KD x320bts) that's Bluetooth, satellite radio that's steering wheel control compatible for $80. I may not use the satellite but the rest of it is a great deal. I also picked up the Cobra 18WST II CB radio which fits in a single din. Fits in nice as a replacement even if the CB is a little farther set back than I would like. Overall I am extremely happy with this setup.
CB_3.jpg
For the antenna I did alot of hunting. I went with a 3' Firefly stick and the fire ring 9' cable as I've read great reviews and think it looks sharp. Mounting points was a bit more tricky. You aren't supposed to mount it near a vertical piece of metal so that cuts out alot of choices including by the spare wheel. I finally decided that jeep probably knows best and tried to mount it opposite the radio antenna. Finding a mount for that was tricky but ultimately settled on the Comet RS-840 which was perfect for mounting to the hood.
CB_2.jpg
CB_1.jpg
I'm very happy with it's performance this weekend as I took it out into the woods on the Maine train trip! Everything I've changed worked just the way I wanted it to. I think I'm done with the jeep for a while, unless I break down and get sway bar disconnects. I do have my eye on a trailer build though.......
train_1.jpg

goofiefoot

Adventurer
So I got my CB installed. I'll be honest I splurged a bit on this one. The double din radio with no nav has really bothered me, it just seems like wasted space. Also the Bluetooth on the jeep radios is AWFUL so I made sure not to get it. This has made replacing that stock radio tempting. I gave in and had the radio replaced with a single din radio and a CB. I never use the CD player so not having one in the replacement saved me a fair amount of money. JVC sells a model (KD x320bts) that's Bluetooth, satellite radio that's steering wheel control compatible for $80. I may not use the satellite but the rest of it is a great deal. I also picked up the Cobra 18WST II CB radio which fits in a single din. Fits in nice as a replacement even if the CB is a little farther set back than I would like. Overall I am extremely happy with this setup.
View attachment 288093
For the antenna I did alot of hunting. I went with a 3' Firefly stick and the fire ring 9' cable as I've read great reviews and think it looks sharp. Mounting points was a bit more tricky. You aren't supposed to mount it near a vertical piece of metal so that cuts out alot of choices including by the spare wheel. I finally decided that jeep probably knows best and tried to mount it opposite the radio antenna. Finding a mount for that was tricky but ultimately settled on the Comet RS-840 which was perfect for mounting to the hood.
View attachment 288097
View attachment 288099
I'm very happy with it's performance this weekend as I took it out into the woods on the Maine train trip! Everything I've changed worked just the way I wanted it to. I think I'm done with the jeep for a while, unless I break down and get sway bar disconnects. I do have my eye on a trailer build though.......
View attachment 288100
I really like that CB setup. Can you elaborate how the stereo and cb fit into the double-DIN space? Is there a special bracket involved?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I really like that CB setup. Can you elaborate how the stereo and cb fit into the double-DIN space? Is there a special bracket involved?

x2, That is a great use of space! Nice work.
I can see what you mean about the CB slightly recessed, and agree that's a very small niggle for such a cool setup.
Great job! :beer:

JKU87

Adventurer
My Jeep is also modified with function>form and with budget in mind. I don't have a build thread but I'll run down some quick things I've done. Feel free to ask me questions on anything.

Steel C channel front winch bumper:

5D34E4C6-1500-4A06-99B9-90DA4633F2F1_zpsw5naiwm5.jpg

Pretty simple, cut C channel to length, drill 8 holes, bolt up. Added a Harbor Freight winch plate. Total cost <$100

Mile Marker SEC8 winch: Most affordable waterproof winch I could find. American company with military ties, but winch made in China. Doesn't bother me. <$400

Steel wheels and 33" Duratracs:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118122-Got-some-vintage-style-wheels-for-my-JK

You already have the wheels/tires figured out but this was my solution. Will go with 16s and a narrower tire next time around I think.

CB: Cobra 75/Firestick mounted to factory tailgate hinge:

6EA1FB2D-F949-4422-B381-B8D8CA010F60_zpssudmbczb.jpg

I just cut a notch in the plastic cover and used the mount that came with the antenna.

JeepKarma.com Aquabumper water storage system:

4D3AD712-BA45-49DB-8731-596B01539F39_zpshkwh8jrl.jpg

7 gallons of on board water. Can't beat that! $150

I don't meant to hijack this thread but I just got the same antenna and mount hooked up to a portable Midland unit. I mounted the antenna on my tailgate and ran a ground wire to the tub of my JKU. My SWR reading is very high. How did you ground yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reskar

Observer

It's a single din radio (any single din radio would work) plus that specific CB which I know has the mounting points and dimensions to fit in a single din, those two plus a double din bracket that fits the Jeep (you can get this at any car audio shop it's a generic piece) I also got the steering wheel controls adapter harness.

x2, That is a great use of space! Nice work.
I can see what you mean about the CB slightly recessed, and agree that's a very small niggle for such a cool setup.
Great job! :beer:
Thanks! I'm very happy with how it worked out and that the CB has it's own speaker so I can still listen to music while it's on.

reskar

Observer
I don't meant to hijack this thread but I just got the same antenna and mount hooked up to a portable Midland unit. I mounted the antenna on my tailgate and ran a ground wire to the tub of my JKU. My SWR reading is very high. How did you ground yours?

You can get a bad SWR if your ground plate is too large (the tub probably is) try grounding to the tailgate it's a much smaller piece of metal.

JKU87

Adventurer
You can get a bad SWR if your ground plate is too large (the tub probably is) try grounding to the tailgate it's a much smaller piece of metal.

Ok I'm going to try this on Saturday. So I wouldn't need a ground wire if I already have the antenna mounted on the tailgate, correct? Sorry, I'm an electronics rookie

reskar

Observer
I would probably still run the ground but I'm also a Rookie on this, just one who read a bunch recently on it. (it's not going to hurt to run the ground)

JKU87

Adventurer
[ QUOTE=reskar;1855575]I would probably still run the ground but I'm also a Rookie on this, just one who read a bunch recently on it. (it's not going to hurt to run the ground)[/QUOTE]
So where would I run the ground to? From the tailgate to what?

reskar

Observer
I'm assuming you have a ground wire that you can attach to the hinge (back out a screw a bit and clamp it down). In other words i would attach it to the tailgate as sometimes the mount itself doesn't provide a good grounding (usually because of the rubber isolaters)

MOguy

Explorer

Espo78

Adventurer
I didn't use a ground wire on my antenna. The SWR was slightly high but I haven't messed with it. It was awhile ago I don't remember the readings but they seemed mostlyu inline with where they should be. I've only used my CB on trails and it works fine. I tried it in a convoy of Jeeps and I had a very short range. Couldn't reach the lead Jeep and there were only 6 or 7 of us. My antenna was folded down like the pics though b/c I forgot to unhook it, so that could be why. I really haven't had many chances to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater