Restoring the "Hummer" Brand to it's former glory! - H3 Build

plumber mike

Adventurer
The h1 was one of a kind due to it Indy suspension and drop down hubs. The h2 was a butt ugly overpriced 3/4 ton tahoe. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the h3 just a rebodied chevy trailblazer? Did they only come with a 5 cyl or was the 5.3 available in it? Just curious what sets the h3 apart from the blazer?

Thanks,

Mike

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
H3 was based on the Colorado pickup.

Five cylinders in the early years, the V8 was available as part of the Alpha package later on...

My only hate for the H3's is that I only see them in parking lots, squeaky clean.

Yours, on the trail, gets all the respect in the world!

Robert

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
The h1 was one of a kind due to it Indy suspension and drop down hubs. The h2 was a butt ugly overpriced 3/4 ton tahoe. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the h3 just a rebodied chevy trailblazer? Did they only come with a 5 cyl or was the 5.3 available in it? Just curious what sets the h3 apart from the blazer?

Thanks,

Mike

Virtually nothing is interchangable with the TB. Not sure why they did it that way, but they did. Would of prolly helped me build my TB since they have even less aftermarket support.

Very nice start to the H3 build. My buddy has a 5 speed one and loves it. He only added tires and it is surprisingly capable in stock form.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Basically, nothing swaps over from a colorado either. Frame is like 90% different.
ade7uneg.jpg

I find it funny how many people have zero knowledge on the h3, but run their mouth.

06-07 H3 inline 5 motors with automatic or 5 speed. Adventure models came with factory rear E lockers, 4.56 gears, 4-1 T case, and stock 33" tires.

08-2010 Had either 5 cylinders or 5.3 V8's. 09-10 adventure models had factory front and rear E lockers also.

With the price dropping on the h3 going to see alot more of them in the trail.

Fun fact GM had designed the H3 to run 35" tires but crash test they were too high for crash over small cars.

Schwarttzy

Observer
I now believe these things where meant to have 35's on them, and the torsion bars cranked up ever since I did it to mine.

Ron B

Explorer
not a fan of the h2, but like the h3/colorado comparison the h2 is not a tahoe with a different body

Schwarttzy

Observer
not a fan of the h2, but like the h3/colorado comparison the h2 is not a tahoe with a different body

I used to be one of the biggest anti h2 & h3 people you could meet. I still wouldn't want to own an h2, but everything changed when I went to Moab years ago. I would tell myself, "That H2 isn't going to make that" and it did just minutes later. After being wrong so many times with that statement, my thoughts shifted. I began to realize that it isn't the vehicle that sucks off-road, it is the driver. Also, Jeepers, and others, see the vehicle and think because doesn't flex and drive how their vehicle does, coupled with them getting stuck all the time, it's becomes easy for them to conclude that the vehicle is the problem.

But the H2 or 3 isn't the problem, the incompetence is all in the hands of the driver. Trust me when I say I have seen these things do some crazy stuff, it just that a ton of people bought the vehicle for show and not for go. That is Hummers down fall.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Thanks for bench rancing 4bt! Proving my point! Disregard all the beefier crossmembers and control arm mounts. Soo how come nothing from a colorado bolts over?

Last edited:

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
Thanks for bench rancing 4bt! Proving my point! Disregard all the beefier crossmembers and control arm mounts. Soo how come nothing from a colorado bolts over?

Actually, he's pretty much right. According to that pic, the only substantial differences are the integrated front bumper and the one additional crossmember for the CA mount, behind the engine.
The other stuff is fairly minor. Different body mounts for a different body, obviously. Different spring mounts for a little more ride height. Bigger bumpstops.
Doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's very similar to the Colo frame...
Robert

silvrzuki77

explorer
Never meant it wasnt based on a colorado frame (cant use any colorado parts) but being a rebadged colorado is a false statement. Since the hummer used v8 in 08 and redesigned the front frame also the colorado must of the hummer? Since the colorados came with a v8 in 09 and up?

silvrzuki77

explorer
I see you are a troll in almost all your post lol. No reason to be hating on people who can afford rigs you cant. Keepin on trolling buddy :) Lets do the OP a favor and stop cluttering his build thread.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman