richard310's 04 Xterra

richard310

pew pew
So after my little tail runs, not only did I end up with squeaky suspension, my alternator is deciding to go. The brake and battery light come on together intermittently but go away when the truck is warmed up. I do believe it hasn't been replaced and has been original for 170k miles. Luckily the same guy I bought my AAL and speakers from still has a Mean Green 180a Alternator rebuilt for sale. I'll be picking it up Monday and hopefully my truck will last until then. I do have a short trip with the AAV guys from 26-28, so I'll be crossing my fingers that everything stays no-drama until then.

richard310

pew pew

Alternator took a massive dump on the freeway. I was on my way to a trail run/camping trip and started getting warning lights all over my dashboard. Brake and Battery light, then ABS light. Then the airbag light went off and started flashing. Pulled off the freeway and the trucks electricals started to fade in and out. Turned around and started to head back home and see how far I get. Made it half a mile into a parking lot before it started stuttering and not shifting, and then shut it down. Got a tow from my girlfriend's dads shop and they diagnosed alternator as well. So I'm now truckless, trip-less and sad. Once those lights went off, I should've cancelled but they were intermittent and I didn't think too much of it. Now I know the hard way. Change a 170k mile alternator.

I'll be picking up a Mean Green 180a Alternator tomorrow morning and hopefully be back on the road Sunday afternoon.

hovenator

Explorer
Awesome thread dude! Wish I lived out there......the closest thing to a hill we have here in SW Florida is a bridge. Keep up the great adventures when you get the truck back in action. And always, post more great pics!:)

Roadwarrior

Observer
Buy a Nissan Quest Alternator to go in its spot, it has a larger ampacity rating and bolts right on. You can also get one from a Mercury Villager I believe. Same motor in all three.

richard310

pew pew
So their mechanic pulled the alternator and we compared the two side by side. He was very hesitant to install it due to the fact that the plug is at a 90degree angle, and the pulley isn't in line with the OE unit. I'm sure the plug will fit, but we're both a little perplexed as to why the pulley is offset outwards about a half-inch. The size of the Mean Green is larger (180A duh) and the mounting points are similar, but why is the pulley not in the same position? I don't want premature belt wear nor do I want a thrown belt (which can be catastrophic with this truck). We left the truck in pieces for now and I'll be picking a rebuilt 100A unit from O'Reilly's/Autozone tomorrow as a backup in case this Mean Green unit just will not fit.

I've read a bunch of reviews and installs regarding the Mean Green unit and everyone's is working fine as a drop-in. Nothing wrong with the install, no thrown belts, nothing wrong besides a number of over-voltages. Anyone have any feedback regarding this potential problem?

We'll be attacking it tomorrow morning at the shop to figure this out.

richard310

pew pew
Buy a Nissan Quest Alternator to go in its spot, it has a larger ampacity rating and bolts right on. You can also get one from a Mercury Villager I believe. Same motor in all three.

I have already picked up a Mean Green unit for about the price of an OE rebuilt unit. If it doesn't work, I'll be using a direct replacement from my local auto parts store as they're still 100A and $20 cheaper and I can get it right then and there. If that one goes out, I'll be upgrading to the 125A Quest alternator if I can find one for a similar price. I've heard nothing but great things about the Quest/Villager unit. Why in the world would Nissan slap on a weak 80A alternator and locate it in the lower part of the dog of an engine??? Just really boggles the mind... This is a truck advertised to go offroading and such. :smilies27

stioc

Expedition Leader
Bummer but be glad it happened before you were in the midst of your camping trip who knows how far away from the pavement. I've heard about the Quest alternator as an upgrade for my Pathy but a few people have said they're not exactly a drop-in replacement either (if I recall you have to swap pulleys) so when that time comes it'll be a stock replacement one for me as I've never felt I needed more capacity. I believe the later model years had a little more juice so that may be a good compromise. It may be the same for your truck. Either way once replaced it'll be one less thing to break in the future.

richard310

pew pew
Mean Green 180A alternator VS OEM rebuilt unit.

You can see how offset the pulleys are after lining up the mounting points. I've already tried installing it with the belt on it and the difference is just too great for me. You can actually see the belt at an angle. So I installed a rebuilt unit from O'Reillys with lifetime warranty for now. I may just grind down the Mean Green Unit to offset the difference to make it line up. We'll see but for now I'll be holding on to the 180a when I decide to up the accessory electrical pull.

With the rebuilt OEM unit installed along with a new oil pressure switch since we broke the old one.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
That's a big enough offset that it would bother me too, better safe than sorry even if its not as big a unit

richard310

pew pew
That's a big enough offset that it would bother me too, better safe than sorry even if its not as big a unit

Yep. Well the rebuilt unit is 100A compared to the OEM 80A so its just a little bit better. I'm just glad its maintaining the battery now. I can hear the start up is a bit stronger than before even with a newer starter too.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Yep. Well the rebuilt unit is 100A compared to the OEM 80A so its just a little bit better. I'm just glad its maintaining the battery now. I can hear the start up is a bit stronger than before even with a newer starter too.

Can't go wrong, 25% more!

stioc

Expedition Leader
100amps (1200 watts) should be more than enough to keep your battery topped up and run most accessories (LED lights, fridge, even occasional use of a winch).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle