*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

rickashay

Explorer
I have the tools, you will have to bring down your little welder as mine is a little to big for body work.

Yah my welder is perfect for that stuff. Not a problem though, I can easily haul it along with me. I'll call you next week and we can mayb plan a weekend coming up.

Dang.... The matte dark bronze wheels are their best looking ones

Yah, I'm super pumped. I actually didnt want black ones all along on my white truck, but at the time last year Vin only had a single set in stock and they were the matte black ones I have now. I debated gunmetal too but I just love the dark bronze.

Yes bob that sucker, you've been looking at 01tundras build on pirate haven't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL yess...... too clean!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Made it myself. Just cut the wires and extended the length of each, then re-soldered it back together. I'm throwing a P0430 code right now but I think it's due to me using a guage of wire too thin on one of my extensions as the other one hasn't thrown a code. I should be able to remedy and confirm once I'm back in Canada.

ah i was hoping you got an extension kit. I found one and they are expensive. was hoping you found one for cheaper

any pictures of the headers and mods to make it work. i wanna see how much work i have ahead of me. did you reuse the oem cats? there isnt much room to move them back.

rickashay

Explorer
I say bob it, but you knew I was going to say that!

Of course you would Jeremiah! 4Runner looks deadly BTW. When are you going to cary that build thread over here? I'm sure the Expo crowd would be drooling for days.

When are we going to meet in Moab again??

If you are going to bob it, you might as well dovetail it. :)

LOL Please don't give me any more bad ideas.... Damn a mild dovetail and a bob would look way too cool!

ah i was hoping you got an extension kit. I found one and they are expensive. was hoping you found one for cheaper

any pictures of the headers and mods to make it work. i wanna see how much work i have ahead of me. did you reuse the oem cats? there isnt much room to move them back.

Yah I wish! I didn't think they would need to be extended but I needed the truck up and running and had no choice in the heat of the moment to just extend them. I'm running new Cali-spec Magnaflow high-flow cats. I'll get a couple more pics of the exhaust when I get back. I heat-wrapped the headers as well while they were out. The worst part is taking the old manifolds out. The new ones go back in so much faster. Just don't kid yourself thinking you can get them out leaving the motor mounts in (you could...) as it will just take SO much longer. We unbolted the motor mounts and pulled them completely out with my floor jack under the motor. Some people discuss splitting the mounts as they can be split in two, but it was quite simple to just pull them straight out. Re-installing only took about 2 hours once the gasket surface was cleaned up, oh and I used OEM Toyota metal gaskets with new studs and nuts (where the old studs came out). Also I did the whole job with a buddy. This made it easier as one of us was able to reach in from the wheel well and hold or locate the ratcheting swivel breaker bar onto the manifold bolts. The guy up in the engine bay would then just make/break the torque. This cooperation made it fairly easy. We probably had 12 hours into the project but we spent a couple hours trying to NOT remove the motor mounts which was a mistake. Extending the 02's took another extra hour of unexpected time at the end also.

I need to get the sound clip up. The exhaust was violent open headers.... and now sounds simply spectacular all buttoned up. Very deep and tame in the lower rpms. I've only stepped on it a couple times for a split second but it'ss definitely is louder when your into the throttle. I have just been babying it though with the new gears.

dyogim

Explorer
If you really want to get crazy, here's an idea I've been wanting to do, but will more than likely not do it. Swap out the access cab for a double cab. Literally swap cabs and keep everything from the motor, transmission, frame, etc... For a while I was looking for cheap or salvaged double cab, then figure out what needs to be swapped over. Should be fairly straight forward. Especially with my set-up. However, I never found one. So, onto more simple upgrades/modifications...

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
If you really want to get crazy, here's an idea I've been wanting to do, but will more than likely not do it. Swap out the access cab for a double cab. Literally swap cabs and keep everything from the motor, transmission, frame, etc... For a while I was looking for cheap or salvaged double cab, then figure out what needs to be swapped over. Should be fairly straight forward. Especially with my set-up. However, I never found one. So, onto more simple upgrades/modifications...

I think at this point I'll just run a sequioa.
You won't be able to keep the access cab bed and what would be left after the chop isn't worth it and jumping into a sequioa and chopping the back half would be easier if you really need a bed

rickashay

Explorer
I'll say it again. Dibs when you sell this.

Damn you. But thank you? lol

Hey! Pics of the bedrack progress!

Looks like a dobie with a docked tail!

I think at this point I'll just run a sequioa.
You won't be able to keep the access cab bed and what would be left after the chop isn't worth it and jumping into a sequioa and chopping the back half would be easier if you really need a bed

Double cab flat bed with 4 wheel camper on short wheelbase

I actually like the idea of the double cab. But I think you'd be better off buying a double cab and just shortening the wheelbase by making an entirely new rear section of the truck. Then rock a stumpy flatbed setup and it would be really cool. I'm pretty certain at this point the bob is going down, but dayum I need to find the source of the clunking I have going on.

The new exhaust doesnt have any kind of flex joint, I wonder if that could be related? Almost like the when the frame twists and the exhaust binds up, it has some play in one of the fittings and it is moving around? I dunno I'm lost for words. I've checked ever bolt underneath the truck. Driveshaft and front diff were my initial thoughts and they are tight as can be. Re checked lower ball joint bolts. Don't think its a CV as its more of a clunk/movement I can feel in the floorboards than the sound and clicking of a bad CV. I also jacked the front of the truck up and went lock to lock while spinning the front tires. There was ZERO evidence of play or bad sounds, or binding anywhere in the front end. Maybe I need to check my motor mounts and exhaust manifold bolts for torque again....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78