*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

775tundra

Explorer
The truck looks great. Giving me too many ideas for mine.

Which morimoto bulbs did you go with and did you use a resistor? I'd like to do this to mine. Also, did you actually remove the chrome pieces and fill the holes on the bumper and grill?

That's actually the style some Tundras come with. I beleive.

rickashay

Explorer
Damn that looks good.....that's all

Ditto.

I wish mine had the white mirror covers and white grill with no chrome strips... :(

The debadge job looks good too.

Thanks, still need to polish the doors. In some sunlight I can still catch a glimpse of where the Tundra badge once was.

I wish mine was tubbed for 35s...

Do it! haha lots of work but finally starting to pay its dividends.

The truck looks great. Giving me too many ideas for mine.

Which morimoto bulbs did you go with and did you use a resistor? I'd like to do this to mine. Also, did you actually remove the chrome pieces and fill the holes on the bumper and grill?

That's actually the style some Tundras come with. I beleive.

yeah I think its a limited trim package thing.

Nailed it. Limited trim had no chrome. I'm running Philips OEM replacement HID bulbs (same ones used in Audi's etc. - model is D2S 85122+). No resistor needed, just have to disable the DRL function of the headlights so you don't cook the ballasts.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Truck looks good. Idk if my truck has DRL since the previous owner had HID fitted with the similar harness kit you sent me. The only thing I left along was what looks like a resistor still plugged in on the passenger headlight socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
I'm running Philips OEM replacement HID bulbs (same ones used in Audi's etc. - model is D2S 85122+). No resistor needed, just have to disable the DRL function of the headlights so you don't cook the ballasts.

Always wanted to add some alternate kind of DRL. Maybe parking light or fog light style.. But, more details on these guys.

16681375827_c8c1c91374_c.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
Looking good Addison! I'm really looking forward to seeing you bob the bed, and figure out the rear cargo/tent system. And as always the headlights look great too!

rickashay

Explorer
Truck looks good. Idk if my truck has DRL since the previous owner had HID fitted with the similar harness kit you sent me. The only thing I left along was what looks like a resistor still plugged in on the passenger headlight socket.

Yah as long as the headlights aren't on while you have the truck running and you physically haven't switched the lights on yet. Super easy to disable them if you do have them.

Always wanted to add some alternate kind of DRL. Maybe parking light or fog light style.. But, more details on these guys.

16681375827_c8c1c91374_c.jpg

They are a switchback type LED from The Retrofit Source. So they are my parking lights and then flash amber with the turn signals but that's just how my truck is configured from the factory. TRS also sell white ones. Here is there entire lot: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting.html

I bet they are some of the nicest LED's on the market, even looking at them I've never seen anything compare quality wise.

Looks awesome bruh

Thanks dude. Bummed I couldn't get to the car show!

Looking good Addison! I'm really looking forward to seeing you bob the bed, and figure out the rear cargo/tent system. And as always the headlights look great too!

Hey Jeremiah, thanks for dropping in. I'm in all out get-ready-for-camping-season mode right now. Need to get that cage for the tent done asap!

...And on the getting ready for camping note, I need to ditch the rear seats and build something to hold my fridge, offer storage, and have a place for my dog(s) to hang out. Just the one pic for now but we've made some good progress.

- removed rear seats
- sound deadened the rear wall of the truck (will do the whole truck possibly next year, if I think it's necessary)
- I bought an IKEA butcher-block countertop that I will be using as the floor of the new rear storage platform.
- Using Birch ply for the new rear area but may end up wrapping in leather color matched to the seats
- built in storage cubby for aux. fuse block and USB charge points and of course, storage that will sit between two cabin air vents. Using a Battalion latch and piano hinge to have it swing open.
- will retain access to OEM floor cubbies

IMG_4727.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Stay tuned...

toyotech

Expedition Leader
So I don't need anything plugged into the passenger headlight connector? The PO has what looks like resistor plugged into it.

I have already remove my rear seats and don't hear road noise like you guys said. I have my fridge behind the passenger seat strapped down and drive side has two ridged boxes and my arb recovery bag. On top of the box is a doggy bed. I only have two small dogs.

I was gonna build a platform but I don't have time right now to figure it out. Got moab soon. Maybe you will have something built and I can take ideas from it.

rickashay

Explorer
Careful Addison. I may just take you up on that!

I encourage it! :)

Little late but here's the pics that turned out with my phone camera.

Hey thanks Matt! Nice to see a couple shots that I didn't have to take! haha

UPDATE - May 30-31, 2015

This past week was a mad scramble on the truck. Plenty more to come but I needed to knock out some maintenance items and get my rear storage setup for the fridge. I spent all my afterwork hours from Monday-Wednesday working on the storage. I had a good friend help me with the build (OK he did 90% of the work...) and I just helped with objectives and some guidance for change requests along the way. He is very attentive to the details and I knew I could trust him with the outcome. Dave, if you read this I appreciate your time and effort over the last week to the highest degree, I'm very stoked with the outcome!

Alas:

IMG_4810.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_4812.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr
Got home yesterday from an epic weekend of camping and wheeling. Great friends and great times. Really put the Tundra to the test for a truck with no armor.

- Blue Sea fuse block in the backrest panel with breaker for future accessories ran into the bed.
- Fridge outlet wired in
- Dual USB outlet on passenger side
- Still retained access to the passenger cubby under the seat
- Maglite and Hatchet mount near window
- Sound deadened 2x
- Mounted to truck using 3/8" angle iron in the 90 degree corner as well as additional mounts on top and bottom. This thing isn't going anywhere even if a rollover were to occur (not that I intend to test that theory)

We wrapped the platform up Thursday evening. After that I headed to my garage at 11 pm and replaced both lower ball joints, tie rod ends (outers), and did the poly steering rack bushings. Got home to bed at 2:30am and was up at 6 to get the truck off to Toyota for an alignment. Finished the wiring Friday night for the fridge and fuse block and headed for the hills early Saturday morning!

Some of our awesome wheeling companions:

IMG_4728.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_4736.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_4740.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Dave and Dave comparing 80-series notes:

IMG_4745.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Makin' me miss Tom Cruiser:

IMG_4751.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Don't think I can ever tire of this, looking SW towards Waterton NP:

IMG_4757.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

On the way up to the airplane crash - really learning the Tundra size. definitely larger than what I'm used to and almost shed the flares about 10x this weekend!

IMG_4776.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_4782.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

After WWII a cargo plane flying from Vancouver to the East coast of Canada clipped the top of mount Ptolemy while flying low in some bad weather, claiming all 7 passengers in an icey and brutal grave. Very sad story but pretty amazing to see the wreckage and in such a remote location.

IMG_4791.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_4798.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

An amazing weekend with the best company I could ask for and a much needed dose of fresh air. Definitely need to get used to the size of the Tundra though... might consider ditching the flares but we will see. Overall I'm very happy with the truck as it handled my usual trails with only minor complaints and on the flip-side I drove the truck 2.5 hours each way at a pace not fit for online tales. Not to mention the logging road blasts with the TRD headers and 2UZ producing a wide-open symphony of combustion, it was fantastic! The truck truly is shaping up to be a champion in all areas. A small sacrifice in size and maybe capability but I have gained in all other areas. Just need to further hone my driving skills to make up for it. Even crawled out of a nasty section and had to help a locked LX through but I won't mention any names... :********:

Oh and I got the new wheels mounted just before my trip. Literally five minutes in I took the hard line and ended up with some massive gouges on 3 of 4 wheels. Yup, that fresh paint didn't last long...

IMG_4815.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

ExpoScout

Explorer
Those wheels looks fantastic. Always liked how they looked on AC tundras....especially the bronze/gold on white.

trailscape

Explorer
Love the bamboo panels for the rear platform. I keep seeing these at Home Depot and trying to think of what I can use them for. Awesome work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78