*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

rickashay

Explorer
I won't give any more details. Just waiting for a couple more pieces of the puzzle to come together before I pull the trigger on the new kicks.

On a separate note, looks like my rear suspension isn't done quite yet. Working with Eric at Archive Garage and testing his new shackle flip has been great, and I really am SO happy with the rear suspension right now. However, it's still not perfect as the truck still sags when it's fully loaded with camping gear. I carry 4-500lbs of gear including the RTT and bed cage so the next step in the rear suspension evolution is a custom leaf pack. I was approached to test a new Deaver pack for the 1st Gen Tundra that will incorporate a small amount of lift over stock and allow for 500lbs of load carrying capacity. Exciting news for us Tundra people as I would expect this to become a viable "off the shelf" option once all the testing is complete. I'll be providing before/after measurements and some real life comparisons once the leafs show up. There will be a few other items in the works before my big yearly wheeling trip coming up.

Just got back from a week of vacay. Didnt offroad as much as I though originally but did spend 3 days living out of the truck in the backcountry. A couple pics of the trip and one last photo to show the rear bar installed on my cage with some brackets I fabbed up to hold my 4ft. ARB awning. Being tall, its high enough I dont have to duck to walk under the awning, but still allowing it to sit below the top of the RTT. Another great product from ARB; I can't believe how sturdy the awning is once it's open.

Pics...

IMG_7554.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Gotta love the old desolate cable ferry routes that are still active today.

IMG_7560.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

My all time favourite spot to camp and relax:

IMG_7565.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Awning mounts:

IMG_7591.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

ukrboy

Observer
Awesome pictures!
We just got back from a week in Kelowna. I decided to take a couple of days to get there so we drove through the Kootenays. What a beautiful part of the province! Loved every second of it. Especially Nelson!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

BanksyB31

This build has a strong stench of...quality and craftsmanship! It could curl some nose hairs.

All good news, truck looks ridiculous, excellent photos as usual.

The rack design flows really well with the truck..whats it weigh-in at?

Does the 4-500lbs of gear include a spare?
(second thought, have you just chosen to not carry a spare because you have a compressor?)

Is there any good options for suspension on the market for someone that wants to lean towards travel and flex but still may to tow a vehicle a few times a year?

Thank you, carry on please!

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to the spring testing. I got a lot of weight as well. the location of my weight allows it to have more leverage on the suspension. so even springs made for my weight won't be enough as the weight isn't in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adventurous

Explorer
This build has a strong stench of...quality and craftsmanship! It could curl some nose hairs.

(second thought, have you just chosen to not carry a spare because you have a compressor?)

Is there any good options for suspension on the market for someone that wants to lean towards travel and flex but still may to tow a vehicle a few times a year?

I'd get whatever leaf springs flex the best for you then use Daystar cradles and airbags. That setup wouldn't restrict droop yet would still provide support for towing. User Zidaro on this forum has a Tundra with that same setup and it appears to work well for him.

AaronK

Explorer
Excited to see your spring testing. I'll be interested to see their price point. $800 for ALCAN springs is a little more than I want to spend. Actually a lot more. Probably gonna do wheelers progressive aal for now.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

rickashay

Explorer
Awesome pictures!
We just got back from a week in Kelowna. I decided to take a couple of days to get there so we drove through the Kootenays. What a beautiful part of the province! Loved every second of it. Especially Nelson!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Cool
! Glad you enjoyed the Koots. Nelson is my home town... one day I'll move back. Love it out there!

Thanks! haha I do not carry a spare currently but I do have OBA and a tire repair kit. I will carry a spare on longer distance trips (Moab, Cali, etc though). I would be I'm closer to 400 without the spare. Depends how much water I'm carrying. For suspension, I dont think you can go wrong with a SFK and AAL or if money allows, custom leafs.

Looking forward to the spring testing. I got a lot of weight as well. the location of my weight allows it to have more leverage on the suspension. so even springs made for my weight won't be enough as the weight isn't in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yah I'm stoked as well. Should be good to see improvements in weight capacity and a proper spring rate.

Looks great Addison. Let me know when your ready to sell those SCS F5's :)

Soon. I'll be trying to sell them with tires though.... you ready to make the jump? ahah Fire me a PM if you are. My Wheelers AAL/factory leaf pack will also be up for grabs soon if anyone is interested.

I'd get whatever leaf springs flex the best for you then use Daystar cradles and airbags. That setup wouldn't restrict droop yet would still provide support for towing. User Zidaro on this forum has a Tundra with that same setup and it appears to work well for him.

Depends what your after and what your towing. I'm not a fan of bags and they dont do anything for wheel travel.. but thats just me ;)

Excited to see your spring testing. I'll be interested to see their price point. $800 for ALCAN springs is a little more than I want to spend. Actually a lot more. Probably gonna do wheelers progressive aal for now.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

I think they will be priced similar but don't quote me on that yet. I'll have full details further down the line.

Pics & truck look great as usual, Love the mud flaps and looking forward to seeing what the new kicks are going to be

Thanks Shaun! Glad you like the subie flaps... wish I would have opted for the ones with gunmetal writing though. Small details....

AaronK

Explorer
Doesn't make sense to me. It seems to me that a leaf spring should be cheaper to manufacture than a coil. Yet my OME coils were about $150 and leaves are somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 times that. Am I missing something?

rickashay

Explorer
Doesn't make sense to me. It seems to me that a leaf spring should be cheaper to manufacture than a coil. Yet my OME coils were about $150 and leaves are somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 times that. Am I missing something?

Way more material (steel) goes into making a leaf pack that a coil. If you have ever bought steel to do any fabricating you can instantly imagine that a lot of that cost will be tied up in materials. Then you have the assembling and manufacturing process (which I assume isn't too difficult) but I would expect
the majority comes from the materials themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger