Rickashay's 97' LX450 - "Tom Cruiser" Build Thread

rickashay

Explorer
Awesome looking rig, really enjoy the photos

This has to be the sickest truck I have ever seen. Man you have good taste.

Glad I can provide you with some viewing pleasure! Thanks for checking out my build!

A few updates on the 80...

Ordered some OEM parts for replacing all the seals and louvers on the rear sliding windows. I can see my seals are pretty weathered so I'm hoping that there arent any scary rusty secrets hiding underneath. I actually plan on using the sliding windows so I need these to be working properly/leak free.

I replaced my relay and tie-rod with Slee's replacements, they are ridiculously beefy. All new OEM TRE's all around. All parts were original so my steering has already tightened up dramatically.

I had enough with my ProComp shocks and ordered a set of OME L's. I was also still running the factory steering stabilizer so the OME should be a welcomed addition since the OE unit had almost no resistance when I pulled it off. Currently running so steering stabilizer until I can get my OME shocks painted. Sorry can't do the yellow, but looking forward to some extra droop and some nice, not-blown, shocks! Thanks ARB.

Copy and Pasted from another thread - in the process of trying to swap this steering wheel in.

Rear of the 99-02' IS300 Airbag - single stage

20121203-IMG_2086.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Guts of the IS300 Wheel - you can see the wiring for the up/down shift buttons running in with the Cruiser Control Module wiring.

20121203-IMG_2087.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

I sure hope I can make it work, it's very similar to the MKIV Supra steering wheel!

20121203-IMG_2088.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Bad news: I might have stripped my transmission drain plug. I replaced one of the tranny cooler lines and needed to let some fluid out after slightly overfilling. It was -30 Celsius and I honestly barely torqued on the nut but now it's spinning freely. Thankfully it's holding fluid but I dont trust it. I think there might have been an issue before because I've never stripped something with the feeble amount of torque I applied. Hopefully I just found an old issue that was unknown or not disclosed. It would suck to have it leak while on the trail! Trying a new drain bolt today and if that doesnt work I'll have to drop the pan and tap the hole - not cool.

And a photo to keep you entertained, we've been having some gnarly weather - 30cm of snow in 12hrs.

20121201-IMG_2072.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

I'm also selling my 7/16" x 100ft TJM synthetic winchline, aluminum fairlead, and hook if anyone is interested. I have it for sale in the classifieds but need it gone. It's brand new and never been outside. As I said, I just can't do yellow. It's all in the details!

I'm flexible on the price, here is a link to the FS ad:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/786714-7-16-x-100ft-tjm-synthetic-winchline-aluminum-fairlead-hook-new.html

DHwreckage

I just sold my 2003 tacoma and am picking up a 97 lx450 this weekend. seeing that i really am not a big fam of automatics im curious to see how this steering wheel conversion works out are the up & down ship buttons going to function correctly? and what will show you what gear your in?

rickashay

Explorer
I just sold my 2003 tacoma and am picking up a 97 lx450 this weekend. seeing that i really am not a big fam of automatics im curious to see how this steering wheel conversion works out are the up & down ship buttons going to function correctly? and what will show you what gear your in?

I actually had no plans to wire the steering wheel buttons for the transmission. I'm either leaving them as dummy buttons or going to wire one side of the buttons for winch controls. Havent quite decided yet and it will depend on how much of a PITA it is going to be.

City_Rider

Adventurer
In and out winch controls on the steering wheel would be a life changer! Get it done!

Love the rig, hope the tranny plug doesn't give you issues / you find a permanent solution soon.

rickashay

Explorer
In and out winch controls on the steering wheel would be a life changer! Get it done!

Love the rig, hope the tranny plug doesn't give you issues / you find a permanent solution soon.

I agree! Thanks Dave. Yah I put in new tranny plug in and it's good to go. The old one was stripped BAD but luckily it was just the plug and not the pan.

rickashay

Explorer
Subscribed! I just bought a 1993 80 and I'm bookmarking links like a madman. Great truck!

Thanks a lot! Hopefully you can find some useful information somewhere amongst the verbage. HA

UPDATES

Spent the last couple days working on the Cruiser instead of going out to the mountains. I guess I just decided that I need to start putting in more time on the LX to have it ready for Moab in May. Sacrifices.

IS300 Steering Wheel Installed:

20130116-IMG_2133.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Spline count is the same and the wheel is currently installed. Still need to figure out the wiring for the cruise control module and also get the airbag working. I found an OEM Toyota airbag adaptor that I ordered so, fingers crossed, that will make the bag work. Cruiser control shouldn't be too bad as the connector on the IS300 wheel and the body-side of the steering wheel harness on the LX, are identical. They are however pinned in a different order but once I get some time I think the wheel will be 100% functional!

My work over the last couple of days:
- Oil change on the LX. My first one since owning it, and I did it early! I've only put ~3000 kms on the truck since buying it in May. Sad.
- Installed TJM Stealth 12k winch
- did a Solenoid Box relocation under the hood and away from the elements
- put on my Amsteel Blue 7/16" Synthetic line and found out my Factor 55 thimble is now too small. It will be for sale soon if anyone is interested!
- Installed my Factor 55 1.5" fairlead, this thing is beefy.
- Painted my Toyota grille black around the edges, leaving the center gunmetal
- Also painted all the headlight trim black to match
- Broke the spring on my fuel door. lol
- And took some poser shots with my new lens....

20130116-IMG_2136.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20130116-IMG_2142.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20130116-IMG_2123.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Factor 55 lookin' purdy:

20130116-IMG_2130.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

rickashay

Explorer
AMAZING Photos and LX470!!! You are very lucky to live in/near such a beautiful area!! What camera setup are you using?

Hey thanks! Being only an hour from the mountains is a definite blessing. I love it out there! I have a Canon 6D with a few lenses. 50mm f/1.8, 24-105L IS f/4.0, and I just picked up a Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8.

I headed out to the Crowsnest Pass last weekend for a day on the trail. The Crowsnest Pass doesnt get a whole lot of wheeling traffic, especially in the winter. This is normally AWESOME as you always get fresh tracks and you rarely see people when your out there, which makes the whole experience more isolated and IMO better. However on this very day, the snow conditions and lack of vehicle traffic killed us. We ran this trail last year, on this very weekend with the most massive amount of snow I've ever wheeled in. (http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/116034-%2A%2Arickashays-wheeling-pics-thread%2A%2A-9.html - post #128) This year we decided to run it in reverse, hitting the sections of the trail that we were not able to reach last year before being turned around. I really pushed for this as I know there are a few tricky summer-obstacles that could only be more fun in the snow....

The snow conditions in general were just bad, heavy snow that would not pack. No matter how many times you would drive, reverse, drive, reverse to pack a section of the trail down, it just wouldnt compact. This made the trail slippery feeling and gave us a bunch of challanges that required vehicles to be anchored to trees or other vehicles in order to make a simple recovery. At one point we had "Intruder's" 5th Gen 4Runner anchored to a tree with a winch extension with his winch anchored to my LX450 with a pulley off my rear to help with the load, and then my winch fully extended to Nicks HDJ-81. The day was monotonous in terms of winching and recovering. Have a look at Intruder's write-up here: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/143951-intruders-build-off-road-pics-thread-22.html

As such, I really didnt get my camera out much. I was too busy running around in waist deep snow hooking shackles up to various vehicles or watching for 18-wheeler's coming down the forestry trunk road as we had our winch lines strung across the road to anchor to a tree on the opposite side. But thats a whole nother' story... haha

Pics -

"Ron Burgundy" taking on the winrow of snow to get us into the trail head.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/143951-intruders-build-off-road-pics-thread-22.html"]http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/143951-intruders-build-off-road-pics-thread-22.html

Dropping in.

20130216-IMG_2156.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

About 800 feet down the trail and 5 hours later.

20130216-IMG_2160.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

You can't say we didnt try. It should be noted, this HDJ-81 has 4.88's, 37's, and has air lockers F/R.

20130216-IMG_2165.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

On the way out, aside from the blizzard, notice the height of the snow bank on the right.

20130216-IMG_2167.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

The only photo of my truck I snapped all day. Back on the road after 10 hours on the trail and about 1000ft of progress.

20130216-IMG_2172.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Thats all for now!

DHwreckage

I actually had no plans to wire the steering wheel buttons for the transmission. I'm either leaving them as dummy buttons or going to wire one side of the buttons for winch controls. Havent quite decided yet and it will depend on how much of a PITA it is going to be.

to bad i would have loved to copy that :D, but in-cab winch controls are SUPER sweet i love being able to winch from the comforts of my heated seats !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78