Rickson, 19.5" on f-350, singles or duals

jronwood

Adventurer
I am definitely putting 19.5" tires on my 2002 F-350 DRW chassis cab. I am trying to decide rear singles or stick with duals? I do haul with the rig, both on the flatbed and trailers, so the duals would be nice. Any input? Here is a pic of a F-350 with 19.5". mine would be the same.(steel, chrome dont get you home) http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/customers/ford-drw/mike-fort-washington-md/

Here is what the single conversion would look like (I hate the look of the rim) but want to be able to rotate the tires front to rear and to do that I must use this rim. http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/customers/srw-conversions-and-custom-wheels/ken-moab-ut/

Jronwood

Attachments

• phone 680.jpg
    phone 680.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

RoyJ

Adventurer
Do you offroad a lot with the truck?

If so, you may want to do the single conversion, as 265 tires will give you more floatation than 225 tires up front, where the heavy diesel sits. On the other hand, if you haul offroad, then the dual 225s will float better than single 265.

For ultimate offroad performance, you may want 265s up front, and keep the duals in the back. Simlar concept to a dump truck or cement mixer running floater singles up front.

FishPOET

Adventurer
19.5s can't be aired down below 65psi or so. 19.5s don't float. Doesn't matter SRW or DRW.

If you plan on hauling heavy stay DRW. If you plan on running double track type roads off highway then you want SRW.

RoyJ

Adventurer
"Float" is relative. 425/65r22.5 floaters are not close to 44" swampers aired down to 10 psi, but they'll out-float 315/80r22.5. Same with super singles on drive axles, they'll out-float a pair of 11r22.5s, which is why their snow performance is crap.

Also, 265/70 tires @ 65psi will cary more weight than 225/70 at the same pressure. IOW, you can get away with lower pressures on 265/70, therefore more "float".

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
My experience has been duals off road are a disaster- at least in mud. The space between the duals is a magnet for mud and just packs in creating a big slick in the back. Obviously not true in sand, but beware in mud. I have also towed with the Rickson duals on road and it doesn't get much better. You may be asking for too much variance from one truck. Again, my experience has been the more specific condition a rig is built for the less flexibility it has at doing all things moderately well. Stock tends to give the biggest window of flexibility as that is the design criteria- appeal to as many customers as possible... Oh, and duals make the truck a tad wide for everything except towing.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I would ask why do you want the 19.5 s I had an f550 for a service truck and found them to be like pucks, no flex. It was the worst truck I ever owened for snow plowing the only way I could get any traction was to chain up. I also have a landscaper customer that got rid of 2 f 450 s for the same reason. tires just suck. On the other hand if your running down the high way they would be a good chose for getting a long life out of your tires.
just my .02
Paul

jronwood

Adventurer
Thanks for the input folks. I do.t do much off roading . Mostly pulling trailers, hauling etc. I plan in some extensive tripping, Canada, Alaska, desert SW. I have had several 550's and love them. I wish the 350 was a 550, so I know the limitations. I will be running highway and extensive gravel. The reason for my 19.5 upgrade is longevity/ durability, and the biggie, I get CHEAP pull off 225/19.5 off local F-550 propane delivery trucks. Michelin XDE's. Just under 50% tread for $50 each installed. I have been stocking them. I run them on a 550 v-10 4X4 as well. I also have a lot of good steer tires in the 19.5 for summer use

Thanks shin for the feedback.

Jronwood

Last edited:

RoyJ

Adventurer
Well, that changes things a bit.

I would say stick with duals then, especially if you can get 225 tires for cheap (you wouldn't want a 225 single setup).

Slightly off topic, anyone know why Rickson discontinued their aluminum rims? Seems like American Eagle is the only one offering alcoa style rims, but they're rated at a puny 3000 lbs :(

tbared

Life participant
I have been doing everything i can do to get rid of my 19.5s for my F550 4x4. I have no luck with them offroad in the woods, snow is terrible and wet breaking is like being on a set of hockey skates(look pretty mean but dont try stopin wit'em), and the selection for 19.5 tires is dismal at best Now, for strictly on road work they are top notch, but that is all i will say good about them. Ive decided to go with Michelin MPT/X super singles on a 20" inch rim. They are an agreesive tread to say the least, wear like iron, maintain a descent load rateing, but are terrrible again on ice, just have to slow down for the eight months out of the year that we see winter here.

FROADER

Adventurer
A friend of mine put 19.5s on his 250 a few years ago because he found out his setup was about 400lbs overloaded (put it all together and drove to the scales) for the 16 wheels/tires (stock) he had. He now has 245/75 Toyos on Vision wheels and loves it.

I agree to stay with DRW if you can get the 225s cheap.

Here is my friend's setup without. The second pic is of the 19.5s.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 1.36.05 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 1.36.05 AM.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 1.33.22 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 1.33.22 AM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 30

jronwood

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I just put the Ford OEM F-550 wheel adapters on the front to get the 19.5 bolt pattern, $127 each (bolt on and go, it was good to have a 550 here to compare to), and now I am waiting for my rear adapters to arrive, they are $200 each. I had priced out custome rims from Rickson, but my delaying (getting cheap like my wife:drool:) payed off as I found a solution using 6 extra stock 550 rims I already had on hand here. I have ,....ALOT of stuff in "inventory", I just brought home my 36th 19.5 tire (just got 4-80% tread Hercules for $25 each, couldnt pass them up). That is over and above the six on each of my trucks, a 550 gasser log truck, and my 350 PSD, CC/CC. :Wow1: If tires keep going up it is hedge against inflation.

Thanks again for your input.

Jronwood

78Bronco

Explorer
A friend of mine put 19.5s on his 250 a few years ago because he found out his setup was about 400lbs overloaded (put it all together and drove to the scales) for the 16 wheels/tires (stock) he had. He now has 245/75 Toyos on Vision wheels and loves it.

I agree to stay with DRW if you can get the 225s cheap.

Here is my friend's setup without. The second pic is of the 19.5s.

Regardless of tires is your buddy not still exceeding his max legal weight?

jronwood

Adventurer
I think for me, (sans DOT) it is about curing the weakest links first. Typically the truck "hard" components have a design factor greater than the GVW, and the tire is the weakest link. I have upgraded the springs and mounts to F450 on the rear already. I use my trucks ALOT for moving things, professionally and personally, and the 19.5 tire is far better for MY use (and then there is the "inventory" of them). The DOT guys check the door sticker, BUT also usually check the tire ratings/ condition. I am not necessarily an "off roader", just a guy who likes back roading and remote roading. The durability of the 19.5 cannot be questioned in those conditions.

Jronwood

78Bronco

Explorer
I think for me, (sans DOT) it is about curing the weakest links first. Typically the truck "hard" components have a design factor greater than the GVW, and the tire is the weakest link. I have upgraded the springs and mounts to F450 on the rear already. I use my trucks ALOT for moving things, professionally and personally, and the 19.5 tire is far better for MY use (and then there is the "inventory" of them). The DOT guys check the door sticker, BUT also usually check the tire ratings/ condition. I am not necessarily an "off roader", just a guy who likes back roading and remote roading. The durability of the 19.5 cannot be questioned in those conditions.

Jronwood

I was commenting more on the dude with f250 that is 400lbs over limit but just because there is a safety factor doesn't mean swapping spring mounts, etc makes you legal. Be warned in event of a catrasphe and you are over weight the judge will render you liable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78