Riddle me this rent or lease but not buy.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well after some consideration I was trying to come up with a way to use a bike w/o actually having to own it. There are a few trips I would love to do on the east coast and out west. I was thinking in these difficult time someone wo had a built BMW or KTM might consider leasing or renting it. While that may be as likely as me renting my rig to someone (for the right price I might) you never know. I figured instead of dropping 30K on 2 moto's I would pose this question.

Aaron

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
There are places that will rent moto's....Iron Horse BMW does, through some other company (I'm not sure of the exact relationship...). They are not cheap...a 1200gs goes for something in the neighborhood of $175/day (NIC mandatory insurance).

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
SO like 10k for 30 days and 2 bikes. I would just like to buy them and if I don't stick with it just sell em. Next purchase will be an adventure trailer then maybe some motos. Every time I talk moto's the wife breaks into tears.

Aaron

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Buy two KLR 650's for a total of $11,200 plus freight, tax, title etc. and then take your trip. If you like the bikes after the trip, keep them. If not, sell them for a lot less of a loss than the above mentioned rental fee. My vote would be to keep them, or sell one and keep the other.

I'm pretty impressed at the price/value of the KLR. Now I just need to find a way to finance one myself. Sure it isn't a BMW, but it dosn't cost as much as a BMW either.

Mike

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
I'll take my KLR over a BMW anyday.

I can drop it crash it and in general abuse the heck out of it, and never worry about how much money I have invested in it.

Mines an 06 and it just turned 30K on the odo. I bought it late in the year too!

Guess you could say I'm getting my moneys worth.

Besides, I'm not worried about a final drive putting me in the path of an oncoming car either. Or the fuel injection computer taking a vacation without me.

You could rent one, or two, for a LOT less than 10K if you go to Costa Rica.

Just tell the wife your riding a bike to save fuel.

I'm about to leave on a little Adventure to Missouri and Arkansas on mine.

Money well spent.

Curtis in Texas

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
All good points KLR vs. BMW but I just can't get away from the looks of the BMW and the KTM. I know I know but I swear I'm no that guy. YOu know the one that gets upset cause 1 rim on his Land Crusier is slightly more oxideized than another or maybe not a matching coat of wax all over the vehicle. That isn't me, in all reality there will be a lot of road miles in btwn camp and adventure. How much cargo can be loaded on a KTM 650, BMW 6 or 8, or the KLR.

Aaron

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Rent

I'm not aware of any long term rentals.

If you have your heart set on a KTM or Beemer, buy used and sell when the trip is done. Who know if you buy right you can make a profit. Chances are that a used bike may have gear that you'd want and quite likely wouldn't be on a rental, unless you did a Beemer RT.

Jim

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I second buying used if you've got your heart set on a BMW or KTM. Most BMW owners are fastidious about maintaining the bikes...and 20K on a BMW is nothing....

-H-

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Ok so we settled on purchasing new or slightly used KLR's. I'm going to start a new thread on what I might need to complete the trip.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman