Ride the rails!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Funny - I was just at Pick-N-Pull and there was a Union Pacific GMC 1500 ('93ish) with the droppable tracks like that. I wonder how much they would have charged me for 'em?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
"I didn't know that we were in a tunnel!"

"Oh wait, it's still night."
"uh-oh........ "

FlatlinesUp

Adventurer
right up til you met the 4:15 from yuma head on at 75mph... :sombrero:

guess you could wait till you saw a train pass, then hop on going the same direction/speed

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Camper Mog, built for the Netherlands Train Authority to work on remote signal towers, not only had the drop-down railroad wheels, but also had a plunger-type device in the center.

NLrail4.jpg

The idea was that you straddled the tracks, then dropped the plunger in the middle of the tracks, then pushed the 8 tons of truck--must have been some fine engineering in that pivot--clockwise or counterclockwise 90 degrees, then retracted the plunger and the Mog settled on the wheels.
So unlike the vehicle in Australia, you didn't need any kind of established crossing to easily get the Mog on the rails.

NLrail2.jpg

UNIMOGS on rail wheels were used by many European railroads, with some being used equivalent to switch engines, towing a string of railroad cars. We never did figure out the official towing capacity of Camper Mog, but something around 40-50 tons might have been in the ballpark. (Each your heart out, Ford SuperDuties :) )

chet

island Explorer
Funny Frenchie I was just going to mention the same thing! My dad had a CJ5 and we used to ride the rails into an area for hunting that no one else could get to! Air the tires down and go! Was my favorite part of the whole hunting trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears