Road Trip in July: TX-NM-AZ-Route 66-NV-UT-CO-TX (May Add WY-SD-ND-MN-IA-MO-NE-KS-OK)

87Warrior

GP'er
LOL, I want to get back to Ouray in time. Going the other way is too long. I have looked at it and going all that way to come back makes it really long for me. I plan to be somewhat slow on these trails, so going all the way would take me way further from Ouray. Right now, that is how I would like to do it, but who knows if the trail is really that easy and I meet a group of nice people who are going that route, I may go. This is not set in stone, just what I wish to do as of now is make a uturn. When I get there, it may change.
I totally understand. I've done the entire route several times and am speaking from experience. I usually have breakfast in Ouray, lunch in Lake City and Dinner in Ouray. The hot springs always feel real good at the end of that day :)

unkamonkey

Explorer
Just my opinion. I've never lost a tire on a trail in my over 40 years in a Jeep. A friend killed two on his LC in about 10 feet. Pay more attention to the road and don't stare at that womans ********** in the seat next to you. I have lost four on my motor home. Get good tires to start with. Two total blow outs on the LF wheel at 50 mph will wake your *** up. I suppose there is a reason that tire shop doesn't carry that brand anymore and there is a reason I don't deal with them anymore. I mounted Michelins, BFG Fisk and Kelly Springfields for years and out of the 1,000s we mounted we only had a few failures. Michelins on the motor home now. OK, rant off and I'm back to my corner.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Looks like a very ambitious schedule. I noticed you have yourself doing Capitol Reef and Arches on the same day. I presume you've looked at the map and realize that it's going to take you at least 2 1/2 hours just to drive from Capitol Reef to Arches, right? IMO that really shortchanges Capitol Reef. There are some great (short) hikes in Capitol Reef, there is fresh fruit you can pick (depending on season) at the Fruita Campground, there's a very scenic dirt road loop (Cathedral Valley) that will take you the better part of a day if you stop to take pictures, there are the Burr Trail Switchbacks, etc.
Just my opinion but I've always thought Arches was overrated. Yes, it has lots of arches. There are some amazing formations. But if I never go to Arches again, I won't miss it. Canyonlands was much more interesting to me with better vistas and more off-roading. Capitol Reef on the other hand has a really wide variety of terrain, everything from mountains to desert to crazy high rock formations, it's just incredible. I think because of its location, Capitol Reef tends to be "the one that people just drive through" when they're on their way between Moab and Bryce/Zion, and that's a shame.
You might consider modifying your schedule a bit, since you have some time in Moab and Arches is located just outside of Moab. Instead of trying to do Capitol Reef and Arches on the same day, spend the day at Capitol Reef and then drive to Moab.
If you're doing the Route 66 thing, don't forget to stop at Standing On the Corner Park in Winslow, Arizona. When we went there in 2014 I took a picture of my wife standing next to the flat bed Ford that's permanently parked there and then posted it on Facebook with the caption: "My Lord!" :sombrero:
I don't think I'd want to be in a black vehicle in the middle of Summer in the desert, but you live in Texas so I guess you're used to it?

Looks like a very ambitious schedule. I noticed you have yourself doing Capitol Reef and Arches on the same day. I presume you've looked at the map and realize that it's going to take you at least 2 1/2 hours just to drive from Capitol Reef to Arches, right? IMO that really shortchanges Capitol Reef. There are some great (short) hikes in Capitol Reef, there is fresh fruit you can pick (depending on season) at the Fruita Campground, there's a very scenic dirt road loop (Cathedral Valley) that will take you the better part of a day if you stop to take pictures, there are the Burr Trail Switchbacks, etc.
Just my opinion but I've always thought Arches was overrated. Yes, it has lots of arches. There are some amazing formations. But if I never go to Arches again, I won't miss it. Canyonlands was much more interesting to me with better vistas and more off-roading. Capitol Reef on the other hand has a really wide variety of terrain, everything from mountains to desert to crazy high rock formations, it's just incredible. I think because of its location, Capitol Reef tends to be "the one that people just drive through" when they're on their way between Moab and Bryce/Zion, and that's a shame.
You might consider modifying your schedule a bit, since you have some time in Moab and Arches is located just outside of Moab. Instead of trying to do Capitol Reef and Arches on the same day, spend the day at Capitol Reef and then drive to Moab.
If you're doing the Route 66 thing, don't forget to stop at Standing On the Corner Park in Winslow, Arizona. When we went there in 2014 I took a picture of my wife standing next to the flat bed Ford that's permanently parked there and then posted it on Facebook with the caption: "My Lord!" :sombrero:
I don't think I'd want to be in a black vehicle in the middle of Summer in the desert, but you live in Texas so I guess you're used to it?

I will sleep in Torrey, where Capitol Reef is located. The next day, I will be at the park at exactly the time that they open and will do just like 3 hours to 4 hours there. Then will be on my way to Moab. If I get there on time to do Arches, I will go there. A lot of people like to take pictures of the sun setting behind the arches or rising. But maybe I will save it for the next day because I have 3 days to spend in Moab and plan to do Arches, Canyonland and I just added Dead Horse. All while in Moab. Thanks for those suggestions on what to do. I may actually do exactly what you just suggested because I did not know exactly what I will do there in Capitol Reef.

Thanks for the description about the parks. At first, I truly thought I may not do all the parks, after seeing how much it would cost me. Then a wise older lady here at work is the one who told me about the annual pass for all parks that cost $80. Well, I just bought it. If I did not buy it, I am sure I would have to spend about $150 in park fees. But with my pass, I hope to visit all these parks and not have to pay any entrance fees since the pass should hopefully cover that. I hope all these parks accept it. And it is good for one year, so I will be visiting more parks during the year in and around my area, after my vacation and throughout the year.

Oh, and thanks about reminding me about Standing On the Corner Park. I already had that in mind. If you see my car, I have the racing number 66 on it. I put that number because of my love for route 66 and yes, I will park my truck exactly at that spot and take pictures and I know some people may think it is even a Route 66 attraction.

Lol, about the black vehicle. It came in black. Can't change that now. Lol and you should look inside. It has black leather seats. So, it does get HOT in it. And knowing how AZ, NV, UT get hot, no telling how hot I will get. Well, I have cooling seats and my AC is ice cold also, so my cooling seats will always be on and I will make that AC work during those days. So, I think I should be good.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The $80 inter-agency access pass is always a good idea. Remember it not only works for National Parks and Monuments, it also is valid for any other Federal recreation site (NFS, BLM, FWS, NRA) that charges a fee for access (and many of them have been charging a fee for years.)
Also if you are booking campsites on Recreation.gov, you can sometimes get a 50% discount for having the pass. Honestly I can't remember the last year I DIDN'T buy one.

BlindWilly

TXpedition
Yes, don't forget Winslow!

When I realized that we were driving past it last year, we stopped to get that famous photo :)
20150822_140318.jpg

This is the Annual Pass for the parks. Mine expires in Jun 2017.

6Gfd0YA.jpg

Y2sVe40.jpg

Welcome to...

I plan to go through 15 states and like to take pictures at the borders. So, this is where I would put all the states I drive through...

v8G38X8.jpg

q7n7xne.jpg

WXbkj7S.jpg

p1sNjrK.jpg

dWWcKLc.jpg

2j1l6w8.jpg

2hz6bus.jpg

fwm641.jpg

n49v9l.jpg

r2kth4.jpg

5knlmg.jpg

2qwfukw.jpg

jjbpn8.jpg

123rz9z.jpg

2mwtdno.jpg

k9ubu1.jpg

nn5t8w.jpg

Last edited:
My drive today was a total of 11 hours. Freeway was light and the few cars I met on the long stretch of I-10 were pretty much in a real hurry. But the drive was well. I got to Carlsbad and checked in at hotel and went straight to the Caverns. Got in free because I already have the pass. I strongly encourage you guys who like to visit parks to buy this pass. It seems to really save you money and would encourage you to go to more than one park within the year. Visiting the parks is really a great thing.

At the cavern, I pushed myself on a hike and it was not a good feeling.

There is an elevator taking people down into the caverns and back up. Or you can hike down and hike back up. I took the elevators down and tried to brave it hiking back up. Big mistake! If i did not know breathing exercises, I would have been calling for help. Then I also met an older couple supporting each other on the way up and regretting hiking back up. I stayed with them for a bit, while using that as an excuse to rest more. They were the ones that first noticed I may be in distress, but I quickly felt better and before I left them behind, I noticed they too seem to be supporting and encouraging each other. So I asked and they told me they were exhausted. Well, I said we will just hike back up together. Nobody left behind. So, we slowly walked up together, making sure each other was not running out of breath and came to this area of spectacular views and what does my cellphone do? The battery dies. So no picture taking for me from this point upwards, which had such great picture opportunities.

Well, since I have free pass into the park, I might go back tomorrow for those spectacular pictures. From that point to the exit was steep, but not too long to the exit and there were a lot more people. So, I felt ok leaving them behind as they told me they would really take their time and they thanked me for hanging out with them for a bit and exchanging stories about my trip and theirs.

The park is marvelous. I encourage anybody who can visit to visit. And the short 8 miles to the park is scenic and then there is an offroad trail good enough for any car to go on that is about 9 miles long more more scenic views. I did not do it.

pudnXWW.jpg

BJh9ORW.jpg

lzyUM2k.jpg

s7fFeMC.jpg

WQLjeit.jpg

Entrance and exit for hikers and exit of bats at night
EatHZvh.jpg

Miniature structure of the whole cavern
C1rUApO.jpg

Last edited:
Just got back from a 3 hours round trip to Roswell, NM to see the alien museum for the first time.

A very smooth and great drive. The museum is quite small and almost not noticeable, but the information inside is quite interesting. I really don't know if this thing is true or not that it happened, but it sure has a very good story. And it was quite busy. I enjoyed it and recommend it if you have never been.

I got some pictures to share.

HRt30XB.jpg

cQYSb3Z.jpg

DCZApd2.jpg

B7oKTdx.jpg

i0qKyeb.jpg

Ip59qP8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears