Road Trip to find a new place to live and work

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Thanks for this offer, this is really nice of you. We only ended up staying in Ashland for 2 nights though. The Applegate Valley was a beautiful place to spend some time in.

You are right about the Applegate valley, its on my list of places I wouldn't mind living if I relocate to Medford area.

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
Tad? I can't believe I found you on expedition portal! It's Eric Davis. Are you an overlander too? I will have to PM you and we can talk.

As far as places for you guys to check out, I agree that Hood River is one to see. On your way you should also stop by Bend, Oregon. Sounds like we have all that your looking for and more.

Home Skillet

i second that ..bend is a great place ..lived there for 10 years ..but needed a change and in texas now ...miss it often so much to do there that you two would like ..i have a great realitor and other resourses if you are interested ...good luck ..jason

Bikemobile

Adventurer
Anywhere in Colorado!
I live in Gunnison, 80's in the summer, lots of snow in the winter. 30 minutes from world class skiing, mountain biking, and road biking.

nctacoma

Observer
You may want to try NE Oregon (maybe Joseph) since you are in the area.

Good Luck

Scott

Yes we are going to check out the Wallowas at some point on our trip. Not sure if we will do it now or after we spend some time in Washington and then head to Idaho and check out northeastern Oregon at the same time, it will be a bit warmer if we wait a while. I have heard great things about that area.

Does anyone know anything about Oakridge, Oregon? A guy told us last night it might fit our criteria? Also told us to check out Zigzag. That is the story of our trip!!

BCHauler

Adventurer
If you feel like coming to Canada, just across the border in the lower mainland area of BC has everything. It's safe, friendly, beautiful, and multicultural. However, if you don't eat sleep breathe hockey, we will eat you...:)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If you feel like coming to Canada, just across the border in the lower mainland area of BC has everything. It's safe, friendly, beautiful, and multicultural. However, if you don't eat sleep breathe hockey, we will eat you...:)

Also, for safety's sake, practice suppressing your urge to giggle whenever someone mentions Curling.

j/k - former member of San Diego Curling Club, wished I'd had time to visit the Curling arena when I was in Vancouver a few months back

nctacoma

Observer
Well the past week has been spent in Sisters and Bend.

We liked Sisters a lot, but disliked the cookie cutter developments ringing the edge of downtown. It was a great jumping-off point into the national forest for recreation.

One rainy day(yes one of many during our time in Oregon) we headed over to Cougar Hot Springs. What a nice place that was.
cougar-hot-springs.jpg
I stole that picture from a website since I didn't want to have my camera around with a bunch of naked people, they might have misconstrued my intentions.
While waiting for the post office to receive some general delivery mail we passed the time hiking, snowboarding, and doing some long trail runs.

Now we are in Hood River. We are very impressed with this town. This is the first area where both my wife and I would consider living in. We are going to spend a while exploring the small towns around the gorge and in the mountains. I will be curious to see what the employment situation around here is. Everywhere we go people tell us the employment situation is very grim, however neither of us has ever had too much trouble finding work. I think having jobs lined up in an area we really want to be in will help make our decision easier.
Any recommendations on things to do while in this area? We definitely have to get back up to Mount Hood to do some adventuring.

nctacoma

Observer
we've been poking around the Washington Cascades for the past week or so. We are liking what we have been finding.

P5100035.JPG

Next week our friend is letting us stay at her family's home on Orcas Island, so that should be a nice break from our 40 square foot apartment in the back of our truck.

After that, we are going to head to the other side of the Cascades to spend some time in the Methow Valley!!! That is my number one choice of places to settle down in so far. Does anybody have any good advice on things to do in the Valley? Any input would be appreciated.

This was a large lumber mill in Darrington,

P5090019.JPG

we've been poking around the Washington Cascades for the past week or so. We are liking what we have been finding.

P5100035.JPG

Next week our friend is letting us stay at her family's home on Orcas Island, so that should be a nice break from our 40 square foot apartment in the back of our truck.

After that, we are going to head to the other side of the Cascades to spend some time in the Methow Valley!!! That is my number one choice of places to settle down in so far. Does anybody have any good advice on things to do in the Valley? Any input would be appreciated.

This was a large lumber mill in Darrington,

P5090019.JPG

The snow will still be DEEP over 3000'. Cross country, snowmobile, tons of FS roads to drive.

shultzie

Observer
Sandpoint, ID

Hey guys,

Hope the trip is going good. When you guys head to Idaho check out Sandpoint, ID its about 40 min north of CDA on 95. Small town of 7,000 people with local ski resort. Some summer traffic but not to bad. Love the town. Lived up in Priest Lake for a few years which is about a hour northwest of there. Great remote place to visit if you have time. Keep us updated and good luck with your search!

P.S. Whitefish is a great small place just north of Kalispell in Montana also. If you have any questions on what to check out or some great off the highway drives email me at daveshultz20@hotmail.com I would be glad to help out!

Goochm

Observer
Joseph oregon

Joseph, Oregon and Wallowa County is my idea of heaven: no stoplights in the entire county, only 7000 people in the county, only chain fast food is a Subway in Enterprise, nearest WallyWorld 70 miles away in LaGrande. Unbeleivable scenery, great recreation and super ranch people. I tried moving there 2x and faced the same problem each time: work in the summer, DEAD in the winter. Cheap great living but you have to make enough in five months to live twelve. An option: LaGrande/Union/Cove or Baker City. Small city/towns on the western and southern ends of the Wallowa/Eagle Cap range that may offer better opportunities for work while still getting all the advantages of a rural Eastern Oregon outdoor lifestyle.

cnskate

Adventurer
Methow Valley is one of my favorite spots. I would be there in a heartbeat if I could find a job there. We hope to get over there for camping as soon as the pass opens. It will be pretty quiet over there till highway 20 opens in a couple of weeks.

Tons of hiking and mountain bike trails, many of which should be clear by now. Lots of good dispersed camping west of Mazama (cool store/bakery there), north of Winthrop on the Chewuch river, and west of Twisp on the Twisp River. Great brew pub and bakery in Twisp.

For one of the nicest drives or rides in the state head up Balky Hill Road NE of Twisp and work your way north to Pearygin Lake.

nctacoma

Observer
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions. We had a great time in the Methow Valley, what a great place.

We are heading into northern Idaho today and have about 3 weeks to explore. We will check out Sandpoint and Priest Lake in the north. We want to spend time in the Sawtooths. Any other suggestions, towns to check out, must do hikes, campsites, etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998