Roads End to Roads End Expedition

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I do not know why these folks are not talked about more here on ExPo. These are the only people I know of who have driven the Darien Gap more than once! I know of other attemps at driving the Darien but none of those were a success. And I don't even know the last time it was pulled off in a motorized vehicle. I am sure others may have crossed the Darien in a vehicle or motorcycle over the years but I have never heard about it. These folks have done it more than once, first time 30 odd years ago!!

Loren & Patricia Upton really do deserve more talk time here and anywhere expeditions by vehicle are discussed!

http://www.outbackofbeyond.com/world.htm

I quote their website.....

On March 4, 1987, the Sand Ship Discovery, Loren and I arrived in the small river town of Rio Sucio, Colombia, much to the delight of the local school children, many of whom had never seen a vehicle. We had spent a total of 741 days to travel 125 miles, from the end of the Pan-American Highway at Yaviza, Panama to the beginning of a road system in Colombia at the town of Rio Sucio on the Atrato River, all on land. We remained true to the original goal and found an all-land route through the notorious Darien Gap. We crossed rivers, but never resorted to traveling up or down them.

That is EPIC right there. That is what I think of when I think of an expedition! That is over 2yrs in the Darien to do 125 miles!! UNREAL!

Not only is their Darien Gap crossings amazing but their first around the world drive is also incredible! You have got to read the parts about Africa. These folks are the real deal and amazing. To try and fail multiple times only to jump right back into it is simply inspiring to no end. I don't even think you can do the same kind of trips they did these days because the world has grown and changed so much in 30yrs.

Any ways, I say again I am suprised I don't see them talked about more here on ExPo. And if you have never heard of them I highly suggest you go on over to their website and do some great reading!

cheers!

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up. This is a cool site full of great info. I agree, I am surprised that we haven't heard more about them.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Thanks for that. I had read that someone took a Rokon though the gap, and meant to look it up, and forgot. Now I know. :D

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Just bumping this up. I have just found out that this is one of my best friends parents. Now I don't feel very Expo worthy tromping around AK. :safari-rig:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Just bumping this up. I have just found out that this is one of my best friends parents. Now I don't feel very Expo worthy tromping around AK. :safari-rig:

Awesome, I would so love to hear 1st hand stories! They must be pretty amazing people...

Skookumchuck

Observer
interesting article I would love to do the Gap but I do not have the time. I would still love to drive to the end of Argentina, I have done the Alaska part already.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
First thing I noticed about the videos linked above. How big the Darien was in the 60's.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger

Members online