RoadTraveler.net is launched by Redline

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Back?

http://www.roadtraveler.net

We shall see how long this lasts...

My wife suggested I keep the blog going if possible, with a goal of posting once a week, even if it's very short. I'm not sure I'm good at short. I wrote this draft post months ago, so a little editing, add some photos and bang! ;)

James

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You should turn on the ability to add comments, though if you do, make sure you have Askimet or some other comment spam thwarting mechanism in place.

My comment:
So, via this balancing method, did you reduce the amount of weight required? Have you tried rotating the tire on the rim to minimize added weight? Have you tried balancing the rim by itself?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm using new software, going to rebuild the blog from the present backwards.

Comments ON but must be approved to avoid Spam (which there seems to be plenty of).

Writing a post to reply to your questions sir.

You should turn on the ability to add comments, though if you do, make sure you have Askimet or some other comment spam thwarting mechanism in place.

My comment:
So, via this balancing method, did you reduce the amount of weight required? Have you tried rotating the tire on the rim to minimize added weight? Have you tried balancing the rim by itself?

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Tool Post bump

A little tease here, much more at the blog.

As part of a new project I’m in the process of assembling a new travel tool kit. In the past I’d drive to my local Sears store, buy a fairly complete set of Craftsman sockets and ratchets, which would include 1/4″, 3/8″, and 1/2″ regular and deep sockets, far too few combination wrenches, and too many screwdriver bits to increase the pieces count of the kit. I’d use this as a starting point, add some adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, and later some hex bits and be well on my way to having a fairly complete basic travel kit. Though I tend to drive newer, reliable, well-maintained vehicles, I don’t like to leave home without tools. Remote travel makes loose parts and little repairs more important.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
A little tease here, much more at the blog.

Great article James. Totally agree about Sears and Craftsman stuff (Sears, are you awake?) as I too used to swear by Craftsman products and have watched the decline in quality over the last decade. I stay away from HF unless I really need something and need it now.

Great BMW article in OJ BTW ;)

Last edited:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I have been very unhappy with my Craftsman ratchets. I need to replace them (do they still have the lifetime warranty?) but can't afford a new set right now so for now I soldier on with them.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I have been very unhappy with my Craftsman ratchets. I need to replace them (do they still have the lifetime warranty?) but can't afford a new set right now so for now I soldier on with them.

They still warranty all of their hand tools. I've been reasonably pleased with all of my Craftsman tools with the exception of ratchets which has been a common theme as shown here. I think a big part of the issue is they generally replace all of their warranty ratchets with repaired ones, at least that is how our local sears does it. You walk in with a broken ratchet, they pull out a box of refurbished ones and try to match them up. While the originals seem to last a year or more with frequent use, the refurb ones don't seem to last me nearly as long. My toolbox consists of duplicates of the common ratchets, so when one breaks I toss it in a 'fix pile' and head to Sears every few months to warranty them. They have been great on screwdrivers and wrenches, the few that do break usually have to do with misuse and they don't care :D

Keep up the good work James!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Craftsman ratchets

They still warranty all of their hand tools. I've been reasonably pleased with all of my Craftsman tools with the exception of ratchets which has been a common theme as shown here. I think a big part of the issue is they generally replace all of their warranty ratchets with repaired ones, at least that is how our local sears does it. You walk in with a broken ratchet, they pull out a box of refurbished ones and try to match them up. snip...

Thanks guys :)

Back-in-the-day it seemed you could walk in with a broken tool and they would exchange it for a new one off the shelf, no questions. Then they decided to repair or replace (I assume the warranty reads "repair or replace"). In the case of ratchets, sometimes repair/rebuild them on the spot. When I purchased my last tool kit form Sears about five years ago, I got home and found the 3/8" ratchet defective. I returned to Sears the next day to get a new replacement. They tried to rebuild or replace it... I clarified that it was new, I wanted a new one, and they gave me one. If it had well worn...oaky, fix it.

jim65wagon

You guys have had way better luck with Sears than I have.....last time I set foot in a store the manager refused to repair/replace the broken ratchet I purchased years ago. I was told flat out that any tool with moving parts was not part of the warranty. I argued (yes, argued, didn't even use foul language) for about a half an hour before I left, broken ratchet in hand. That was 2 years ago, haven't set foot in a Sears since, never will. I will buy any tool I need from any other company - never again from Sears.
That said: Nice article James!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior