Roadtrek to 4wd--another option

david.lemke

Adventurer
great looking rig
I was hopeing you can get some pics of the mounting of the solar as I am putting 300w on top of my lid also but with the curves its making it a little rough on the designing

pfacdb

Photos of solar system

Hi David,

(sorry for the awful photos--the 3 panels are mounted as one unit in one frame that was fabricated. The frame was screwed into the roof, not adhesive, and a fairing was made to fit the front. Frame is solid on sides so not allowing wind, but open in back and front for cooling).

Here's how the 3-100W solar panels from AM Solar are mounted. The feet for the panels as purchased from AM Solar came out too wide for the top, and we were not thrilled with trusting just the adhesive mounting, and all the air the get underneath the panels (from all sides). The fairing and closed sides work well, as it is pretty quiet at high speeds.

While we don't now have the option of installing the AM brackets the allow tilting, the tradeoff is well worth it. I'm not sure if I would have ever felt comfortable going down the highway with the adhesive mounting, not to mention the noise from all the air that would have gotten underneath the three panels.

Erin at BOR designed and installed the solar system, and did a great job. He insisted that I get up on a ladder he setup to take a look at his proud work.

2FullSizeRender.jpg1FullSizeRender.jpg3FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

david.lemke

Adventurer
Thanks for the pics, I see what looks like a roof vent in front, where I have a moon roof further back so now I have a better idea of how to mount these units.
I also see now you have a awning, glad to see where they mounted This as well as I am in search of one at this moment

86cj

Explorer
What a nice example of a straight axle GM van, very impressed.........................

I can't think of a better place to lay in bed and enjoy the view than Colorado.....:bowdown:..............

Is the rear screen door a Roadtrek option? I have a piece of screen but have not sweat the mounting details out yet, how does it seal to the edges?

pfacdb

screen

Yes, the rear screen was from Roadtrek, as well as a side door screen (velcro, not nearly as nice as rear door mount) . The rear screen zips in and I believe is attached to strong fabric with screws. It is fixed hard and zips in well, with a loose opening at the bottom for cargo access. It is in solid and we were very pleasantly surprised to see how well functions. Rear doors close with it attached so it just remains in place. Seeing it in the back unzipped after purchasing the van, figured it would be something rather non-functional. Roadtrek did a great job on this one.
qqIMG_0424.jpg

Last edited:

thedjjack

Dream it build it
miss my old Roadtrek (1982 Dodge)... have you run that thing over the scales? Love to know how it compares to my 1983 GMC G3500 class B+...

Last edited:

pfacdb

scales and weights

After conversion: 4300 front; 4780 or so rear; 9100 or so Total with 30 gal or so of water; full propane, but not a ton of other stuff

Just as a Roadtrek pre conversion: 3790 front; 4300 or so rear; as above but without water.

Johny5

Adventurer
How is your abs working out . I'm getting a waring light on mine . Just curious how yours is working out . Thanks

MrX

Bump.

I'm curious how high the van now stands and if it will still fit in a high cube shipping container (8'9").

Keyne

Adventurer
Another option now available for 2017 Roadtrek has 4x4 available on their Agile van which is based on the Sprinter 144 chassis. Also available with diesel Alde heat/hot water, induction cook top, e-trek package for solar and lithium batteries. The good news is that you can order one with the options you want and get it in 6-8 weeks vs 12-14 months for a SMB or Van Specialties build.

Honestly I think VS is probably a better built and lower price but for us anyway the wait time is too long. Also we live in New England so fire or logging roads are the most off road we would likely see. We are going with a RT Agile (144) Alde diesel, induction cook top, underhood generator (big alternator) and no propane. Perfect for our needs as a trailhead and fly fishing weekend base camp.

bmwtrekker

Great build. I have a 2007 RT 190 Popular with the Quigley IFS 4x4. I am getting ready to raise it about 1-2" to gain more clearance for snow/gravel roads. I think I will have about 8" of clearance for the macerator pump. I'm curious as to what your clearance is now with the 6" lift. Also how did you get a rear sway bar to fit with the generator right behind the rear axel? I'd love to have a rear bar. I opted to put a roof rack to carry a ski box and/or kayaks vs the solar panels, but could add one or two to the front of the rack. Thanks for your post.

Attachments

• IMG_4479.jpg
    IMG_4479.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4593.jpg
    IMG_4593.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4595.jpg
    IMG_4595.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 32

Forum statistics

Threads