Roam offroad?

graykale

Does anyone know if they are still in business? Their site is down, has been for awhile actually. I spoke to them around December or January and they said they were sourcing some new manufacturing for their series disc brake conversion kits, but that was all. Just wondering if anyone else has heard news. Thanks

isherbisher

I believe he is looking for the roam that makes land rover parts. I heard they
Are taking a break to reorganize the company. They make very nice parts for a very reasonable prices.
They are located in California so do the math.
They should be up and running in a few months.

Last edited:

forbyn

I believe he is looking for the roam that makes land rover parts. I heard they
Are taking a break to reorganize the company. They make very nice parts for a very reasonable prices.
They are located in California so do the math.
They should be up and running in a few months.

www.forbynbros.com is manufacturing disc brake kits right now. We are in the middle of it so no kits are done but we expect them to be within the month. Timm Cooper consulted with us when designing them. In addition to that, the new steering knuckles are aluminum and can accommodate 2 calipers for extra stopping power , line lock etc. Similar to Roam kits ( also designed with Timm ) but redesigned. We have other products as well, LS1 motor mouint kits with auto trans mounts, Billet transfer cases and billet hinges for series 1,2, and some 3 . we are considering doing axles as well. Transfer cases and hinges are available now.

Sorry, not trying to spam, I saw these posts and thought this might help some members here. I am doing a 1959 5 door and learning as I go. SO I joined to read and learn more etc. I am doing an LS conversion along with disc brakes ( all 4 wheels ) and the transfer case . no pics of my rig yet, but soon! ( i hope ..... work work work...) EMail me if I can be of service to you, Greg Forbyn

Michele

Observer
Hi Greg,

good to hear from you!
I've been in touch with Timm and he told me about your business and the new awesome upgrades in the making,
hopefully I'll get some parts for my 109" when the time will come.

I hope you're a little more handy with a camera than Timm :)
Those hinges are a work of art, not to mention the transfer case!!

Congrats and my best wishes for the new Rover-oriented business!

Michele

Michele

Observer
That's Roverdrive (now Roam-er etc), I doubt their overdrive was ever designed in collaboration with Timm...
Roam OR was the company supplying his disc brake kits until some time ago.

Last edited:

Michele

Observer
Consider Atlas aren't cheap neither...after all it's a brand new billet case, burly gears, etc...
If I had the $$$ I'd buy one just as decorative object!

forbyn

Hi Greg,

good to hear from you!
I've been in touch with Timm and he told me about your business and the new awesome upgrades in the making,
hopefully I'll get some parts for my 109" when the time will come.

I hope you're a little more handy with a camera than Timm :)
Those hinges are a work of art, not to mention the transfer case!!

Congrats and my best wishes for the new Rover-oriented business!

Michele
Michele Thank you for the warm welcome and kind words! We are working to make parts that stand the test of time and abuse. We also plan to get busy with the camera and the diagrams / instructions. I myself am not all that knowledgeable about Rovers like Timm but I am learning. I asked about your Salisbury to D60 conversion. Its not that bad. New piniion bearing and stock rover side gears I believe he said. Matches the 24 spline axles although they have a different length. I think we are going to go ahead and make the three different axle sets but we have to get a few other things done and moving first.

Those transfer cases are expensive btw, we all agree, but i will say this about them, Timm and my father designed it ( my fathers deck is made out of 10 inch I beams if that says anything about him....) they are bullet proof and they dont leak, they will also fit 3.5:1 gears ( comes with stock 205 gears ). Its not the first transfer case my dad built. He has been building crawler cases for land cruisers for years. If he built it I believe its one of the finest units money can buy. He has a back ground in fabricating for over 45 years and worked on everything from the USS Enterprise ( nuclear powered ) to the Trieste (sp?) ( submersible to the bottom of the Marianas trench and returned ).

That being said, we would like to figure out a way to get the price down a little and still maintain the bullet proof nature of the thing.

Michele

Observer
Hi!

Photos are never enough :drool:
One thing about the D60 conversion; I wonder if a solid spacer to replace the crushable one could be an improvement.
This option is available for the Toyota differentials, I'm not a mechanic but maybe it's something worth a thought, while there?

I know you have a 109" now, and a Salisbury axle to use? :)

LR Max

Local Oaf
Generally about a grand more expensive than an Atlas.

That said, I'd only go with an atlas if I was ditching the rover powertrain.

Michele

Observer
Generally about a grand more expensive than an Atlas.

I'll never afford any, but last night I checked the AA site for a comparison, and prices didn't seem too far.
And, the new unit is beefier than the Atlas I believe.

New pinion bearing and stock rover side gears I believe he said.

Make sure we're talking about the "Mongo" 35 spline Salisbury rear kit :)

James86004

Expedition Leader
I just spoke to Brian and he says he has shut down Roam due to the amount of time it was taking away from his family. He said by all means go to Forbyn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears