Rock between duals

xxfullsailxx

Observer
i was trolling through posts for some other info and ran across this thread from over a year ago... it is something i deal with on a regular basis at work, so i thought i would contribute... though i absolve myself of any liability resulting from attempting this "fix"...

utilizing a chain or tow strap is the best/safest/easiest solution, but i thought the explanation above was missing a few key points...

1st: role the vehicle to a point where the stuck rock is at the 9 o'clock position. (you are facing the problem wheel)

-then, feed your tow strap around the rock and loop it back through itself, taking the loose end of the tow strap towards the front of the vehicle...

-pull the strap as taught as possible and wedge it under the back of the front tire. (the strap should now be inline between the rear duals and front wheel)

-the loose end then gets pinched under the corresponding front tire and the ground as you slowly reverse the vehicle...

pulls the rock out in a very controlled and efficient manner.

craig333

Expedition Leader
When I was with CDF this was a fairly common occurrence on the fire engines. We used a six foot pry bar. Wedge it in and back up till it popped it out. Its really scary when you forget to check and see a rock in there after you've been on the highway.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Buddy of mine had a similar problem, except it was a deceased skunk stuck between the wheels. People scattered when he pulled into the gas station (he didn't know it was there).

warejn

Observer
I just read all the replies . I still work as a firefighter and I have actually written the process into our SOP's. When I was a fed we had a few instances on the rocks letting loose on the highway after going off road and destroying a box or two.

Just like everyone else said, tow strap around the rock and then we usually put it under the front wheel and it pops out. I still egg out on an engine every so often and the fellows say it works great.

Jacob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger