Rock sliders and side steps. thoughts?

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
Wanted to see your thoughts on rock sliders vs side steps on full size trucks. I have an F150 that will be getting a 4" lift and 35s soon, I will need steps for the wife and I to get in let alone family. As I was thinking about it I wondered if the steps would just end up getting mangled on a rock and then damage the truck. I am not sure what to do, Other than paying a ton of money for custom sliders with steps.

What do you all think? Share what you have done to fix this issue. Hopefully ill learn something.

Bojak

Adventurer
i like the modern style steps but do not like the pinch weld installation. Check out my thread and you can see what i did about it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I prefer the retractable kind. Anything hanging down is a damage multiplier, and cabs are expensive.

Frame mounted real bars that protect the truck, good luck. Usually custom and cost as much as a decent truck.

colincwilliams

If you want retractable ones, I've read good things about the ones from Rock Slide Engineering. Other retractable ones get the steps out of the way, but aren't designed to take a hit. These ones are.

Ain't cheap though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
I have heard of the rock slide engineering ones. You are right, very pricy. I should add, for us northeast guys we need to avoid the electronic steps. The salt in the winter kills them. Eventually you end up with the step stuck down and alot of times its only one of them haha.

I have the AMP Research retractable steps on my F350. One of the best mods I've ever done to a vehicle. The corrosion from salt in the NE would be a concern though. I think most, if not all would be mounted to the pinch weld these days, not sure about the Rock Slide ones though and may depend on the application.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Wanted to see your thoughts on rock sliders vs side steps on full size trucks. I have an F150 that will be getting a 4" lift and 35s soon, I will need steps for the wife and I to get in let alone family. As I was thinking about it I wondered if the steps would just end up getting mangled on a rock and then damage the truck. I am not sure what to do, Other than paying a ton of money for custom sliders with steps.

What do you all think? Share what you have done to fix this issue. Hopefully ill learn something.

I "paid a ton of money" for custom rocksliders once... After that, all the custom bumpers, battery trays, tire carriers, skid plates, rocksliders for a 2nd rig, etc., etc., etc. I want are all dirt cheap now. Plus a ton of other little knick-knacks and vehicle mods that now come cheap or sometimes even free too. And nearly every one fits my needs better than something bought in a store or mail-ordered can (and that's if it is even available in a store, catalog, or online)...

I bought a Millermatic MIG welder. It has more than paid for itself many times over.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Ironhide we really need to know if you need sliders to protect the vehicle during rock:Wow1: crawling like adventures or if you just need a step? A real slider is strong enough that you can jack/lift the truck from them and can take some major abuse. In that case custom made is your best bet. If you jest need steps there is lots of those out there.:ylsmoke:

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
Ironhide we really need to know if you need sliders to protect the vehicle during rock:Wow1: crawling like adventures or if you just need a step? A real slider is strong enough that you can jack/lift the truck from them and can take some major abuse. In that case custom made is your best bet. If you jest need steps there is lots of those out there.:ylsmoke:

I more wanted it to be a general discussion of pros/cons for any full size rig. But for my needs I mostly need steps. I wouldn't rock crawl my F150 its not practical. It will be my DD eventually when my trailblazer burns out. That said, I will be doing some trail riding and things like that where sometimes a rock is in the way. I think your right that custom made is the only real option.

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
Are there any nerf-bar / side-steps that last more than 5 years before rusting?
VERY TRUE! I think I will get the Nfab 3 step version and have them linexed. I am linexing all my aftermarket parts due to the salt on the roads. Already undercoated the truck.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I more wanted it to be a general discussion of pros/cons for any full size rig. But for my needs I mostly need steps. I wouldn't rock crawl my F150 its not practical. It will be my DD eventually when my trailblazer burns out. That said, I will be doing some trail riding and things like that where sometimes a rock is in the way. I think your right that custom made is the only real option.

Ok then you have a whole sheit load of options of which I am totally unqualified to help you with....:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998