Rock-Wear Changes Gears And Builds An Expedition Tacoma

Rock-Wear

Observer
Hey guys! Been reading the site heavily for the last couple weeks now as well as dissecting Bajataco's and Expeditionwest's webpages.

A little about me... I have been into offroading for about 10 years. I started with light wheeling but quickly got hooked on rockcrawling and built a Toyota based rockcrawler. About 5 years back I sold everything I owned and moved into the back of my 93 2wd Toyota pickup. I traveled through 40 states over the next 6 months hitting as many National Parks and areas of interest as I could.

camping.jpg

bigsky.jpg

Upon my return I quickly got back into Extreme rockcrawling where I have been traveling the Southwest conquering some of the toughest trails I could find.

BTGMLK2008033.jpg

BTGMLK2008125.jpg

I have decided that I am tired of maintaining 3 vehicles (Tow rig, Trailer, Buggy) to try and get out every month or so, just to wheel the exact same trails that I have been wheeling for years and years and while breaking very expensive parts.

So... I have concluded that to scratch both my itches to travel and see new things as well as explore rough terrain, that I will build an Expedition vehicle.

The VERY obvious vehicle of choice for me was a Toyota 4x4, so while searching online for more info... I found this FANTASTIC site and a HUGE lightbulb went off over my head!!!! AH HA!!! I didnt realize that so many people are doing EXACTLY what I wanted to do!!!!

So after some research I picked up this little beauty. 2002, V6, Auto, TRD, Limited w/ 100K miles.... Runs like a top!!!

P1016009.jpg

Truck already has sliders installed, so Im ready to relearn how to drive a 4x4 with sheetmetal THAT I CARE ABOUT!:D

My Plans:

First and foremost.... Get seat time!

From there I will start building out the back to comfortably sleep(still deciding on a design) Then on board air, suspension, bumpers, yada yada yada.

Thanks for all the inspiration I have found here. I hope to explore many miles with you guys.

I will update as the truck is modified :D

-Matt Ruskow

Last edited:

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Good good Welcome to ExPo!

Nice pirate sticker *flip off smiley*

Looking forward to watching the build.:chowtime:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Welcome to Expedition Portal!

Look forward to following your build, you have a good truck to work with.

(See you in Death Valley)

Nice choice of course. I would assume that is what you will be taking to Death Valley. The Tacomas will be well represented:victory:

Rock-Wear

Observer
Streakerfreak said:
I would assume that is what you will be taking to Death Valley.

You think the buggy is too overkill there? :shakin:

Yup, new taco is coming with to DV!!! Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
MuddyMudskipper said:
Welcome!

It looks like DV is going to be a Toyota-centric trip. :shakin:

Which is great and bad at the same time. I would love to check out other vehicles.

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Nice truck. Crazy how you just sold everything and used your 93 pickup as an RV for 6 months. I bet it was some good times.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Very very kewl...Another rock crawling expatriot. You'll find quite a few of us on here. The six month gisounds like a blast.

Rock-Wear

Observer
Cackalak Han said:
Nice truck. Crazy how you just sold everything and used your 93 pickup as an RV for 6 months. I bet it was some good times.

It was GREAT times for sure! I have always believed that our time on this earth is so short, you could wake up dead at any time. People get so distracted and preoccupied with working and family that they forget to live their life... I never want to be on my death bed wishing that I worked less and played more.

You either get living or get dying...

My only regrets about doing it, is not staying out longer and not spending a little more money doing tours and getting into state parks.

Last edited:

Rock-Wear

Observer
First mod was to make the truck bed comfortable to camp in. After double checking the size, the carpet kit from my 93 Toyota fit quite snug in the back of the Taco with a little modification to fit the camper shell clamps. This will not be a permanent fixture to this vehicle as the design is very bulky, heavy and tall. But it will work well for a little while...

This configure is perfect for camping alone. It allows me to sit up and read, change clothes, and put my shoes on easily.

IMG_0718.jpg

When camped with another person, the bottom slides out and rests on top. The issue with this configuration is the there is very little room to do anything as the bed sits very high. There is just enough room to lay on your side, but it makes it very difficult to do much else.

IMG_0720.jpg

The side boxes lift up for plenty of storage. There is also cup holders built into the front as well as the back on the opposite side.

IMG_0722.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998