Rocket Box (real rockets)

Lately I've had quite a box fetish. With a leaning towards waterproof-ness and a desire to outlast me, I've got a few boxes that fit the bill.

Which brings me to this little (big) gem. This box is 48"x12"x12", with 6 tension-adjustable clasps for cranking down the airtight seal. It has one large handle on each end.

Here's the deal, it's INSANELY HEAVY. I didn't weigh it, but I'm guessing it's in the area of 65lbs+. It's only barely man-handlable, and my guess is loaded with ANYTHING and it's going to be a stationary storage container. However, this is the most stout box I have ever felt. It should be, it was designed to house a rocket/missile warhead. The crap that comes in the box proves as much.

Bonus! This particular box came with 3 large (hand-sized) bags of dessicant.

I'll be honest, I haven't brainstormed enough to figure out what I am going to use this for, but I think after aquiring the correct sized pieces of foam, it is going to be a perfect case to house 4 of my AR15s. We shall see, but considering the weight and difficulty in just getting into them, I don't see anyone ripping anything off.

Other notes-
NOT LOCKABLE, unless you mod it of course.
These clasps are no joke, you're going to need some tool to pull them open. I use a screwdriver. A stout screwdriver.
The airtight seal is airtight as heck. This came from Idaho, and I opened it on the coast... See where I'm headed here? Yeah, I had to take the aformentioned stout screwdriver and break the bead of the seal due to the massive internal negative pressure. Whoah...

Box-
dsc0960l.jpg

Clasps-
dsc0961s.jpg

Top off-
dsc0962b.jpg

Lid inside foam "stops", end-user will have to decide if these are a problem for their application or not...
dsc0964.jpg

Body inside foam "stops", end-user will have to decide if these are a problem for their application or not...
dsc0965.jpg

Now I know you will all be asking, and this is the part that makes this all so very very attractive... Price...

You can have all that above, AND a pissed off UPS delivery guy for the insanely low price of $39.99.... No crap.

Oh, but this thing is a beast, so pissed off UPS delivery guy is going to charge your butt $35 per box to ship it. Or at least that's what I got charged.

PM me if you're interested in where I got it from, I don't know if I can put that up or not. And frankly, I am still deciding if I want to buy 2-3 more or not... :p I don't want any competition...

Last edited:

cruisertoy

Explorer
I see these come up on the Mitilary auctions sites all the time for about $10 a box, but you have to buy a hud load of them. Some of them even come with an air bleed valve so you don't have to pry them open with the altitude changes.

We throw out tons of those dessicant bags every day at work. They are reusable if you heat them in your oven long enough. I had a big box of them in the garage at one time, but I think I threw them out during the last round of cleaning.

We throw out tons of those dessicant bags every day at work. They are reusable if you heat them in your oven long enough. I had a big box of them in the garage at one time, but I think I threw them out during the last round of cleaning.

I have to recharge my dessicant packets in my gun safe about once a month due to the humidity in this climate (coastal rain forest). So the more i get the better I like it. :)

And if I turn this into a mobile gun safe, they're going to stay right where they are to help out with moisture.

cruisertoy

Explorer
I'll see what i've got at work if you want some more. We bring in 8'x8' pallets of coextruded acrylic/ABS that must be kept moisture free before Vac.Forming. There is usually 1-2 of those brown hand sized packets of Dessecant on each pallet. As a bonus the wrap all the plastic in silver tarp material so I get a ton of that as well. It doesn't hold up more than a year outside, but there is a ready supply so my wood piles are always covered.

762X39

Explorer
Find a bigger one and maybe you can convince your family to bury you in it.
Check out Coleman Surplus in Penn, they have Mortuary Containers (aluminium) for a very reasonable price. I will probably pick one up and try not to laugh my @ss off when I pull up to customs in my troop carrier and am asked if I have anything to declare.

snipecatcher

Adventurer
I've had a rocket box mounted in the back of my truck for about 2 years now. It's about 36x12x12". It was dated 1952 and still had the original (most likely lead) paint on it. It ceased to be airtight when I attached it to the bed with 4 screws, but it still keeps all of my tools dry. It has 6 latches, and I attached a padlock, but all you have to do is open all the latches and the side opposite the padlock can be opened up. Just don't tell anyone. ;)
-Dan

green

AIRBORNE
I know this is an old thread but a little insight on the container, because I built them. It's a Paveway missile warhead shipping and storage container. Made in Colorado.
The one on the top in this picture is the one that goes in the container:
1920px-Paveway_II_p1230135.jpg

The dunage (foam pads) can be removed with a scraper and MEK (sells at home depot).
the relief valve is 2 way (internal and external pressure) and will self open at 1 psi

jham

Adventurer
I know this is an old thread but a little insight on the container, because I built them. It's a Paveway missile warhead shipping and storage container. Made in Colorado.

The dunage (foam pads) can be removed with a scraper and MEK (sells at home depot).
the relief valve is 2 way (internal and external pressure) and will self open at 1 psi

It's cool that you know all of that. It's even cooler that you built the things!

lockedwheels

Adventurer

Well I can tell that you build the container and not the "missile". It's actually a container for a MAU-169 Computer Control Group. You have the correct picture. It's the control section for a laser guided bomb not missile. Not trying to be a ******** I but I build those bombs all the time.

406expo

Adventurer
I salvaged a real nice large aluminum case years ago similar to this from the military. It was used for a smaw rocket I think, but very nice box. Air tight, regulator valve, same latches. Just never got any ideas for what I could use it for. Very well made stuff

lockedwheels

Adventurer
Yeah if it's the ones I am thinking of they are pretty nice. Our test sets for GBU tail kits come in some pretty nice cases too. It's a shame though because there isn't any hinges on them they just completely separate.

manutdfan7

Well I can tell that you build the container and not the "missile". It's actually a container for a MAU-169 Computer Control Group. You have the correct picture. It's the control section for a laser guided bomb not missile. Not trying to be a ******** I but I build those bombs all the time.

Perks of being Ammo/Ordnance, you get all the ammo boxes/cans you can get your hands on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online