Rode a BMW G650X today...

Clutch

<---Pass
It was breif ride, but, would be an ok dual sport bike. The rear airshock gets really stiff when it heats up. Feels like a completely diffrent shock, after some flogging. A regular coilover should cure that.

Motor is smooth, but, the bike is really heavy for a 650 dirt bike...350 lbs. But, even at that weight it was flickable(ish)

A couple quirky things, rear brake reservoir is mounted to the cylinder head. Rear brake over heats. Exhaust runs extremely close to the oil tank, and one of the raditor hoses. Heat sheild and header wrap should help.

Riding position feels odd, pegs feel low and back. I am used to riding race bikes, so, I think on long hauls, it should be ok.

Overall , it isn't a bad bike, with some money thrown at the suspension it should do better in the rough stuff, but, for the money I think there are more options out there for large bore dirt bike.

Last edited:

HiLift Jack

Adventurer
I am trying to love this bike so I can take advantage of the 1.9% financing but after years on the Dakar 650, it is not different enough to jump on. Huge sellers remorse on that one. Here I am loading up on the ferry to Newfoundland. Looks like I need a larger bike or should leave some of this load at home.

34005579-M-1.jpg

Ride on.

Clutch

<---Pass
HiLift Jack said:
my photos at beemertwins.smugmug.com in the newfy folder.

Thank you, in about 6 months I am going to be in the market for a big bike.

I tend to bleed orange, but, time will tell.

Do I need to get to New Foundland!

Last edited:

flux

Observer
Those rear air shocks are proving problematic for some folks. I personally know of 2 people who blew them out.

I think the upcoming 450 BMW is making will render this bike useless personally. Same horsepower as the 650 with less weight...hmmm....

The 800GS sure is nice though.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
I was out at the Red Mountain desert race about four months back and there was a BMW dealer from Orange County that had a couple of the 650X's entered. The bikes faired well but they had removed the air suspension on both bikes and replaced them with conventional Ohlins set ups. I think that the air suspension is something that even the dealer knows will be problematic for any sort of bumpy off highway stuff. Not only does it get rid of the complicated (hey its German) air suspension but I'd imagine there is some sort of weight savings.

Air Suspension vs. Ohlins

GS650X Threadfest

Clutch

<---Pass
The one I rode, did get an Ohlins shock, my friend who is racing it, says it did improve the ride, but, it is still too soft, needs a revalve. I was getting ready to throw my leg over it again, but, we were on a group ride, and ran out of time. They are racing it. He did the Parker race this past weekend. I haven't spoke to him yet, I don't know how it went.

He lost his partner to a broken collar bone, he had to Iron Man the race.

There isn't too much "BMW" on that bike anyway, engines are Rotax, and the frames are made in the Aprillia factory.

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
The one I rode, did get an Ohlins shock, my friend who is racing it, says it did improve the ride, but, it is still too soft, needs a revalve. I was getting ready to throw my leg over it again, but, we were on a group ride, and ran out of time. They are racing it. He did the Parker race this past weekend. I haven't spoke to him yet, I don't know how it went.

In one of the links I posted above I read that the Ohlins shock set up uses a spring that is specific to the owner of the bike's riding style, weight, etc... That may have been a factor in the spongy feel.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, it is just valved wrong, it is an easy fix. The bike is going to be raced, they only got the new shock a week before the race, not enough time to revalve and test...so he just raced it that way.

I am sure he rather be on their new 450, they are just not here yet. The 650X is the closest thing BMW has for right now for a race machine.

It's a great dual sport bike...just a wee bit heavy (350lbs.) to do desert races. Better than nothing...;)

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
:iagree: The 650X's are indeed a tad heavy for the desert stuff.

The one thing that kinda scares me about the 450X is how the motor sits exposed. Unconventional in a very BMW way, but I would think that the motor would get worked if it were to bash into a rock.

Clutch

<---Pass
MuddyMudskipper said:
The one thing that kinda scares me about the 450X is how the motor sits exposed. Unconventional in a very BMW way, but I would think that the motor would get worked if it were to bash into a rock.

Seeing how much my skidplate on my 300 takes abuse, that would scare me too. Too bad the new KTM 690 is the same way. :( (Progress...I guess) I have crushed the engine cradle on past bikes, even with a skidplate (cases still intact though)...I would think that would be certain doom, for the BMW 450 and the KTM 690 engine case. Time will tell.

We ride stuff like this...:D

2933398470093498191S425x425Q85.jpg

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
Seeing how much my skidplate on my 300 takes abuse, that would scare me too. Too bad the new KTM 690 is the same way. :( (Progress...I guess) I have crushed the engine cradle on past bikes, even with a skidplate (cases still intact though)...I would think that would be certain doom, for the BMW 450 and the KTM 690 engine case. Time will tell.

I forgot that the 690 is a little Ducati-esque with the trellis frame and "hanging" motor orientation. Yeah I'm not sure the engine guard/skid plate would do much more than provide a wider surface area for the engine to get bashed. I'd be lying if I said that it would be on my mind.

Kermit said:
We ride stuff like this...:D

2933398470093498191S425x425Q85.jpg

So you ride like all of my friends ride. I'm the only fool of the bunch that has a catankerous ADV bike. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Clutch

<---Pass
MuddyMudskipper said:
I'm the only fool of the bunch that has a catankerous ADV bike. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

I am saving for one of those big bikes, probably be the KTM 990 Adventure, so I can ride two up...other wise, the girlfriend would be pissed! She wants to go along. If it wasn't for that, I would get a 640.

I have a 2008 KTM 300XC, she has a KX 100, for the single track...the 990 will be a good addition for the long distance exploring.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
I am saving for one of those big bikes, probably be the KTM 990 Adventure, so I can ride two up...other wise, the girlfriend would be pissed! She wants to go along. If it wasn't for that, I would get a 640.

I have a 2008 KTM 300XC, she has a KX 100, for the single track...the 990 will be a good addition for the long distance exploring.

My friend has a 990ADV and he loves it. He and the wife take sopme trips on it but typically its just him. The 990 is a GREAT highway cruiser too.

I've ridden two up on the 640 and it wasn't bad at all. While not as cozy as The Big Orange (or Blue or Black) my passenger never once complained. The only thing I wish is that The Little Orange had a six speed as the LC4 seems to yearn for one more up kick at highway speed.

In the dirt the 640 is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12