Roof Basket Size on a Gen II.5? Is this too small?

MontyMcV

Observer
On removal of OEM, loosen all the screws first to see if you will have trouble. I did that with the 95 in the earlier pics and all was well. Didn't do it with the 00 and damned if the last screw spun the nut-sert and wouldn't come out. Had to cut the OE rack off, and managed to tweak the roof in the process.
-
On the 1A question, they are 1As in the pic. Actually, they are high-towers without the spacers and then shorter bolts. The cross bars under a loaded basket will touch the roof. Seemed okay when I first did it. Then over the years the kids would climb up as it's "cool." I did not like how high the high-mounts set the basket.
-
For the 00 now with the full-roof-length basket, I am going to use four cross bars. I plan to use 1/2 cut spacers for the front and rear bars, then cut to size at <1/2 spacer for the middle two, following the crowned curve of the gutter so that the finished basket sits flat across the bars.

Clem

Adventurer
@MontyMcV

Thanks for the info...I didn't have time to transfer the load bars from my other towers to the 1A's this past weekend, but it looked like I'll have to remove the OEM rack to install the 1A's or get the high-rise spacers. I don't want the rack too high, so I'll likely be removing the OEM rack. Last summer the cargo pod bouncing/chattering on the roof/sunroof was really freaking me out...Like at any moment the sunroof would shatter :Wow1: (the OEM cross bars are so weak!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12