Roof Rack dilemna

lwg

I can't say this enough... get a hannibal, or a front runner if it's aluminum. It turns your entire roof area into one large, flat, usable surface. They look good. It won't rust. Its lightweight. What more do you want?

I'll never understand this argument. Other than the flat roof piece the AL takes very little away from the weight and at a high cost. How many roofracks have you seen rust to the point of being useless? If a person desires the AL rack then go for it, but for most this is a non-issue. A properly built, cleaned then coated steel roofrack will last as long as an AL rack. Your bumpers and sliders are more likely to rust and fall off before the roofrack does.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Less weight equals more better.

2512681696_329fc5024f_b.jpg

I can't imagine having to pull a RTT off in this situation with melting snow and a sliding truck off camber. It took all of 5-7 minutes to get the fuel and pelicans off the top with no tools.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I've fortunately never had to use a roof rack to stabilize a vehicle like that. I've used roll bars, I pillars, rock rails... never a roof rack. Then again, most of the wheeling I've done nobody had a roof rack. You use what is available, I guess.

I know how quickly things can go in the snow to ask how you got into this situation- especially wet snow.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
You can see how the truck slid over 2-3 feet, the amount of time that it took was the scary part.

That's exactly what it was for, stabilization until we could get the anchor truck set and the front winchline attached to the tree.

In the end, only one truck pulled from directly behind while the other two (rack and front) winchlines let out.

jrose609

Explorer
You can see how the truck slid over 2-3 feet, the amount of time that it took was the scary part.

That's exactly what it was for, stabilization until we could get the anchor truck set and the front winchline attached to the tree.

In the end, only one truck pulled from directly behind while the other two (rack and front) winchlines let out.

You raise some good points, Sinuhe. You also post some nice photos.

Perhaps the RTT was more of a impulse buy. The wife thought it would be nice, and it is, but it is turning out to be a pain in the rear to mount on the vehicle.

I'm half tempted to mount the tent to my little 4x8 trailer I made and use it as a basecamp..........

Sinuhe, BTW, still looking for a couple of recommendations on camera and kit. I sent you an email a couple of weeks ago while you were out in the brush.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
To remove that excess weight up top, mail the RTT to me. It's the sensible thing to do.

If the trailer is off-road capable, that isn't a half-bad idea. It allows you to use the vehicle without stowing the tent, and allows you to use the Disco as a DD without sacrificing gas mileage. You can always swap it to the vehicle at a later date.

JSQ

Adventurer
jason, i'd say your best options would be A) modifying your current rack, B) sell the SD and get a hannibal, or C) sell the rack and take the money to a good fab shop that can make you a custom one to your specs for hopefully around the same price.

D)
Go to the bathroom.
Look in the mirror.
Ask yourself if your Land Rover is a truck, or some sort of tree house.
Sell the RTT and hit the road with a SD rack, smile on your face and cash in your pocket.

SeaRubi

Explorer
did you say wife?

Maggiolina vs. ground tent. I'll give you one chance to guess where the magic happens.

p.s. shoot E6 with primes.

Ike out :) *hiccup*

lwg

I can't imagine having to pull a RTT off in this situation with melting snow and a sliding truck off camber. It took all of 5-7 minutes to get the fuel and pelicans off the top with no tools.

I assume these pics don't truly show the angle? Landy's easily handle 45* off-camber as we all know. I've had mine over 30* with the RTT mounted high ontop of an SD rack and I didn't go over.

jrose609

Explorer

Can you do this with a Front Runner or a Hannibal? Is the aluminum as tough as the SD?

Geo14cux

Adventurer
I assume these pics don't truly show the angle? Landy's easily handle 45* off-camber as we all know. I've had mine over 30* with the RTT mounted high ontop of an SD rack and I didn't go over.

I agree Larry at least the first few times I looked at that pic. I was later informed it was steep.
Look just to the right of the right tire looks like a pretty good drop off. Once they get there mind up its hard stopping em. Life is too short! :coffee:

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
North American Distribution of Hannibal Racks

I can't say this enough... get a hannibal, or a front runner if it's aluminum. It turns your entire roof area into one large, flat, usable surface. They look good. It won't rust. Its lightweight. What more do you want?

Just an FYI...

We just acquired the Hannibal Safari distribution for North America. We've got a big shipment of Hannibal stuff arriving in a couple weeks. Check out our website:

http://www.hannibalsafari.com

Give me a call or email if you're interested in reserving some goods.

Dan Randle
Hannibal Safari USA
dan@hannibalsafari.com
402-650-5110

jham

Adventurer
Just an FYI...

We just acquired the Hannibal Safari distribution for North America. We've got a big shipment of Hannibal stuff arriving in a couple weeks. Check out our website:

http://www.hannibalsafari.com

Give me a call or email if you're interested in reserving some goods.

Dan Randle
Hannibal Safari USA
dan@hannibalsafari.com
402-650-5110

Dan,

I had a hannibal on my previous rover. I sold the rack when I sold the truck, and haven't been able to work up the funds for a new one. Repair costs on the new truck have gotten in the way.

The rack on the D1 got used once a week, minimum. Slept up there many times. Great product.

jrose609

Explorer
After looking at the differences between the Hannibal and the Front Runner, I can see why the Hannibal is more expensive. It's $500 more expensive, but it has side and rear rails.

The biggest difference in strength would seem to be the mounting system. The Hannibal uses the entire gutter while the Front Runner uses just legs. It would seem the Hannibal would be inherently stronger than the Front Runner. While the Hannibal uses the entire gutter, the Front Runner uses three legs per side. I do not think Sinuhe would be winching on the side of the Front Runner. The Hannibal???? Yes, probably.

image.php

eb3891a6e3c5ca7027528fa2391bfe90.jpg

Another thing I notice about the Hannibal vs the Front Runner is the slat system. The Hannibal runs front to back while the Front Runner runs side to side. This would make it seem like the Hannibal would have less wind resistance and buffetting. It would seem like the Hannibal would be quieter.

fr_rack_front.jpg

I don't know. I hear good things about Paul at Equipt. If you read Dan's message on his website about his entry into the Hannibal market, you will get a great laugh...It's very informative.

http://www.hannibalsafari.com/pages.php?pageid=2

So.............I think I will either modify my little trailer to haul the roof top tent or sell the RTT and get a nice ground tent. Or maybe one of the Oasis that doesn't take up much room. Don't know. The wife seems to like the Maggiolina. It is a nice tent, but I agree with what Sinuhe and Jack say.

This is what happens when I impulse buy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle