Roof Rack Gear Security

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I use a Yakima spacebooster on 1/2 the rack, that locks easily (I bought a 12 pack of matching locks, so everything uses the same lock)...I use a cable lock on my bikes, I use a long keyed lock for my axe/shovel, and I bolt everything else down. 3 keys is too much, but I don't have any better way to do it...

andreagold

I have a similar concern, though my rack has not yet been tampered with; but often when I am traveling I have the same concern and I keep checking on the car after intervals to just see all is well. Someone suggested me a locking mechanism. I have been testing it, and feel somewhat relaxed with it. You can consult your local locksmith and see if he can get you a mechanism to secure your stuff on the rack.

jdillard

Observer
Old thread, but since it's already been resurrected...

I bought some of the Steelcore straps for use on our rack, and I'm pretty happy with them. The straps themselves are very heavy-duty and well made - probably worth the extra cost alone - and the locking clasp at least doesn't appear to have an obvious workaround like some of the other locking straps do. I've read that the Thule straps can be easily defeated by just sticking a screwdriver into them and raising up the clasping mechanism; and I've heard that the combination locks on the Lockstrap brand can be opened by wiggling the tumblers around until you feel each one release. And of course the heavy cables and padlocks are done away with in a second with bolt cutters.

Supposedly both the Steelcore and Lockstrap brand straps can't be cut with bolt cutters, though I'm sure with effort someone could - in their advertisements, the guys with the bolt cutters don't look like they're trying all that hard. Still, I'd guess a thief would probably first have to cut the nylon strap with a knife to expose the cable, which at least is more time consuming. The clasping mechanism on the Steelcore I think is similar to the Thule, but because the strap itself is thick, you have to really push the clasp into the strap to close it. So even though I can fit a screwdriver into the clasp there's no way I can make it disengage from the strap. Probably the easiest way to get the clasp open would be to just pry apart the lock. I'm guessing of course, but if I lost the keys that's probably how I'd go after it. But by that time, I think it would have been easier for a theif to just break a window and take something from inside the vehicle. Everything is relative.

Negatives are few and far between. The main problem I see is that since they are so thick and stiff, they can be difficult to cinch tightly. Not like they're loose, but if you're used to being able to really ratchet a strap down, you might not like them. (It could be that the straps will loosen up with use - time will tell.) Then there's always the possibility of losing your keys - not much more to say about that. Also, the straps I received have black powder coated hardware instead of the plain aluminum they show on their website. Most people probably prefer the black, but to me they'll just show scratches and wear more readily.

An extra little bonus is the attached bungee that keeps them neatly coiled when not in use.

So I give them a good thumbs up. Just don't lose your keys, and always remember that if someone want's your stuff badly enough, all any lock will do is slow them down a bit.

rayra

Expedition Leader
easy to make your own steel cable lock of any length you want. Lace it thru the major objects and lock them to the rack.

jdillard

Observer
That was my original plan, but I like the idea of having a single strap instead of both a tie down and a cable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman