Roof racks suck gas, but how much?

Paddy

Adventurer
Toppers can suck a lot of gas because of their weight on some vehicles too. Yes sprinter is big! But the engine is powerful despite its size. Doesn't seem that affected by speed. Running 75mph returns same mileage as mixed city/hwy in my caee, lightly loaded. At 25mpg I'm happy as a clam, but a rack would be a very functional addition.

RickM

Observer
All I want to really add here, is that the Ujoint rack sure does look sooooo cool. I love the flat look, and have questioned the need for a basket from day one.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Dang that's so nice it needs to be on every page of this thread. Bump

Ha, thanks!

All I want to really add here, is that the Ujoint rack sure does look sooooo cool. I love the flat look, and have questioned the need for a basket from day one.

Yes, flat is the future! Stoked to get it mounted up tomorrow (I hope) Mounting brackets are at powder.

Paddy

Adventurer
What would be even cooler is flip up side bars to increase utility and security when needed.

bugwhacker

Observer
Aerodynamics for vehicles really don't matter until your above 50 mph. My thought is averaging above 50 mph in SA is a real trick. Put a spoiler on the front and don't worry about it unless your really going to spend a lot of time at high speed.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
IMO anyone that is concerned about a 1-2 MPG gain or loss based upon a roof rack needs to simply let off on the go pedal a bit.

Youll get all that MPG back, I promise.

Paddy

Adventurer
When using freeway to slay miles you can't really back off to leisurely 50 mph as much as I'd like that. No, one of the best things about the sprinter for us is its ability to put the hammer down and make 700 miles go by. In a day. On one tank of fuel. :) Out west them things are far apart, really far.

radorsch

Adventurer
I lost about 2-3 mpg by lifting my 5.4L 4.5" and going to 33" tires. When I added the rack, I didn't see any further reduction in MPG. The rack is installed on the rear of the roof, which probably helps with aerodynamics, but its a good size rack. I had no noise increase with the rack. I did have a set of Yakima load bars on the front for a while, and they were noisy. Even with the fairing. No change in MPG noted with them alone. But, when I put a roof-top-tent on them (they are in the front of the van, fore of the roof rack), I lost almost 2 MPG (although this was based on 500mi of fairly hilly/mountainous driving).
Just my 2 cents.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The future... I built my rack almost 20 years ago. It's a basket but in total, it's only 4" higher than the truck. It works very well, and it's super strong.

RickM

Observer
I guess the way I see it, driving an E350 with big tires and a lift, and worrying about fuel milage is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

I am more worried about noise, so lets talk about this fairing thing. I have a smittybilt 5 foot wide rack, and was going to build my own fairing for it. Anyone have a decent material to use for this idea. I looked at HD for lexan window stuff, and it was stupid expensive. I may try and see if I can find some thin delrin to use.

Anyone have any other ideas.

RickM

So, the last couple of trips in the van we have had 5 SUPs up on our rack. We load them stacked flat, 2 on one side and three on the other, nose forward. It appears to me that we might get *better* mileage with the boards on top. We generally cruise around 62-64 mph ( things are relatively close here in New England). The last couple of trips we have been getting 14 mph, vs 12 in mixed driving. Could it be possible that the boards help? Do something to the vacuum behind the van? B

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd likely use Black Abs. It's pretty cheep, durable, and easy to work with. I'm not as sure about Sun resistance... For it's cost though, you could afford to make a new one in five years if it fades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78