Roof Racks, where to start?!

oliverlove

Adventurer
Hey guys and gals, I have a 2000 LX470 and with a new baby, we are tapped out for interior room. I was looking at a trailer to mount my trusty RTT, but that isn't going to happen before our annual summer adventures. So, Roof rack it is!

There are so many different options out there, how do you guys pick? Everyone offers free shipping, many of them are low profile for reduced wind resistance, and most come with a great warranty!

Help me out guys!

Cargo to be carried up top

RTT - average size
Baby stuff! probably in some sort of action packers, or short trunk
Probably a stroller lashed down

Companies looked at so far, TJM, Frontrunner, Bajarack, Gamiviti, Eezi-awn, Gobi

Last edited:

Bretthn

Explorer
You have the same list of companies that I contacted and priced when thinking of buying mine. For my needs they all accomplish the same thing. I am fortunate enough that for the 100 series, the best looking one to me is the Gamiviti flat rack that can be flipped to use the cargo retaining brackets as handles to climb in and it is also the cheapest. My decision would have been harder if the one I liked the most was not the cheapest.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Gamiviti is my favorite rack as far as looks go (again, that is for a 100 series) but I ended up with a LabRak because of the functionality of it. I am very happy with my choice! LabRak is coming out with their new style rack, which looks a lot better and has the same functions. I would get in touch with them if I were you.

plh

Explorer
Does yours already have a factory roof rack? If it does, might already be able to to handle these items. Key is to keep whatever you decide to use as low to the roof as possible. Setup and fold away of RTTs on top of a 4x4 vehicle are not that convenient. You will most likely be working at 6' or more at the floor level of the tent.

Maxcustody

Explorer
Rhino Rack......with Pioneer platform. Just ordered one

Just checked their site may not be compatible with your vehicle. I would give them a call though, great product and better customer service. Good luck
Sent from my Roof Top Tent

Last edited:

oliverlove

Adventurer
I'm coming from a Tacoma with a bed rack that carried my RTT. I do realize by removing my sidesteps zipping and un zipping my RTT bag will be a pain.

Current rails - I do have a factory roof rack, but I don't think it can handle both my RTT and other junk. I think it would be a this or that sorta situation.

Gamiviti users - What do you use to hold things down? All the other manufactures have specialty hardware, what do you guys use?

Box Rocket

I like all the brands you listed as long as it's a flat platform. That's a personal preference and it can also change based on individual needs but I do not like the basket type racks, nor do I need that. I'm lashing down items anyway so the basket is unnecessary. For me the important aspects of a rack are capacity, low profile design, multiple tie down options for gear, lightweight construction but still strong, design that keeps wind noise to a minimum.
Another option to consider would be a rack from PrInSu Design. http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/ Although I'm not sure if there is currently one available that will work for your application but the 4Runner model might just work. I have one of his racks on my 80 series and I think it's the best rack on the market. I love the flat, low profile design, and the sturdy aluminum construction. I think my full length rack weighs less that 45lbs total. The t-slot crossbars give endless options for lashing items and the load capacity is more than anyone would ever want to put on a roof, so it will handle a RTT and other items just fine. Personally I also think they are the best looking option too.

oliverlove

Adventurer
Box, thanks for the idea, I contacted them, lets see what they say!

My biggest gripe about most of these is how high they sit off the roof of the vehicle.

Box Rocket

Box, thanks for the idea, I contacted them, lets see what they say!

My biggest gripe about most of these is how high they sit off the roof of the vehicle.

I agree. This is precisely why I went with the PrInSu rack. It helped that the builder was local to me and that my truck was used to build the prototype and I was able to make some request to meet what I wanted, and my rack was the first one for the Land Cruisers. In the end, I am extremely happy with the result. Just to play the other side of the coin.....one downside to having the rack so close to the roof as that it can make it difficult to secure my RTT's since it's a tight fit to get my hand between the roof and the bottom of the rack to tighten the mounting bolts.

Cascadia-vehicle-tents

Supporting Sponsor
Gamiviti is my favorite rack as far as looks go (again, that is for a 100 series) but I ended up with a LabRak because of the functionality of it. I am very happy with my choice! LabRak is coming out with their new style rack, which looks a lot better and has the same functions. I would get in touch with them if I were you.

WARNING!!!!
Do Not Use LabRak.
Aka. Metric TLC
Aka. Shane Walters
He (Shane) hides behind everything. He will not answer calls, emails or texts. They (LabRak,Metric TLC,Shane Walters) owe us over $3300 now for 6 months. No product. No updates. Nothing. They have also kept money from other customers for months and have not given them anything as well. They have deleted all of the customers comments and now shut down their IG page. We will never recommend them. This is not the only time this has happened. We are taking them to court. He wanted this and asked for it. We are very forgiving but he does not give a ********!
Do Not Use Them!

There are also tons of threads where this is happening to a lot of folks. IHMUD,TW<Expedition Portal etc..
If you are one of the people who have been screwed please contact the attorney general's office who is handling the case.
You can contact:
rebecca.papke@doj.state.or.us

Case #FF3738-15

tienckb

Adventurer
Wow not good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
Tried making one, it worked, not so pretty.

Wanted one from Prinsu Designs, but no idea when they'd be hitting the market.

Scored a great deal from Bryan at Frontrunner on a scratch & dent deal, was up till midnight last night putting it on. Sits a little higher than I thought it would, but it's a good looking rack with lots of accessories, and saving some money never hurts!

oliverlove

Adventurer
I ended up finding a Baja Rack group buy and purchased one. Disappointed about the 3.5 month lead time, but I guess I got a good deal. I'll post up pictures once I get it mounted.
'

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
Tried making one, it worked, not so pretty.

Wanted one from Prinsu Designs, but no idea when they'd be hitting the market.

Scored a great deal from Bryan at Frontrunner on a scratch & dent deal, was up till midnight last night putting it on. Sits a little higher than I thought it would, but it's a good looking rack with lots of accessories, and saving some money never hurts!

Glad everything worked out. Send over some photos when you get the rig out!

-Bryan

wngrog

Adventurer
I love my FrontRunner rack. It is the most versatile thing ever. I use it with or without the RTT.....add attachments. Take them off. Its all so easy. Best rack I have bought other than the one on my wife.

image-XL.jpg

image-X3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78