Roof Racks, where to start?!

p nut

butter
If you've got the cash, I'd say Frontrunner as well. I had a chance to check one out in person and I was very impressed. For a budget conscious buy, Gamiviti seems the way to go.

dfinn

Adventurer
I just sent prinsu an email to see if there's any chance the 4runner rack could work for a 100 series. I also offered up my vehicle as a test vehicle since it looks like I live very close to him. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

Box Rocket

I just sent prinsu an email to see if there's any chance the 4runner rack could work for a 100 series. I also offered up my vehicle as a test vehicle since it looks like I live very close to him. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.
The trick with the racks is with the feet and their location. Most newer vehicles use the roof tracks with captured nuts for the factory racks instead of rain gutters like on older vehicles. The tracks and captured nuts are in different locations on different vehicles making it not really possible to use a rack from one vehicle on a different one. This was the issue with the using the 200 series rack for a 100 series. The rooflines (which is another difference between different vehicles) are nearly identical between the 100 and 200 but the location of the roof attachments didn't match. My brother in law has also offered his LX470 since he's local as well to try to help get the right measurements for the 100 series.
I know Zach was swamped with a big group buy recently. I think once he gets through the GB craziness he'll be able to focus on the 100 series again. crossing fingers.

reznunt

The trick with the racks is with the feet and their location. Most newer vehicles use the roof tracks with captured nuts for the factory racks instead of rain gutters like on older vehicles. The tracks and captured nuts are in different locations on different vehicles making it not really possible to use a rack from one vehicle on a different one. This was the issue with the using the 200 series rack for a 100 series. The rooflines (which is another difference between different vehicles) are nearly identical between the 100 and 200 but the location of the roof attachments didn't match. My brother in law has also offered his LX470 since he's local as well to try to help get the right measurements for the 100 series.
I know Zach was swamped with a big group buy recently. I think once he gets through the GB craziness he'll be able to focus on the 100 series again. crossing fingers.

I hope it comes out soon. I can't stand to wait any longer. If Dissent comes out with their roof rack first (which looks similar in design to the Prinsu) then I'm going with that!

Benc

Explorer
I hope it comes out soon. I can't stand to wait any longer. If Dissent comes out with their roof rack first (which looks similar in design to the Prinsu) then I'm going with that!

Will be working on the rack today, here is a teaser pic of the prototype, decided to change it up a bit due to the similarity to prinsu, ultimately my new design will be lighter and more versatile than the first. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458310265.374077.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458310297.295166.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Will be working on the rack today, here is a teaser pic of the prototype, decided to change it up a bit due to the similarity to prinsu, ultimately my new design will be lighter and more versatile than the first.

Benc, I like the looks of that. Well look at it this way, That is unique enough to not change. Really good design. Are you using extruded alum cross bars as well?
The two piece side design is really cool, and allows for options along the sides underneath. I'm curious to see how you secure your side panels. J

Benc

Explorer
Benc, I like the looks of that. Well look at it this way, That is unique enough to not change. Really good design. Are you using extruded alum cross bars as well?
The two piece side design is really cool, and allows for options along the sides underneath. I'm curious to see how you secure your side panels. J

Thanks.
The extrusions will be used for the cross bars. The side panels will mount up to the outer extrusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oliverlove

Adventurer
Still waiting.... I just got an email that my delivery date has been pushed back again due to a fire at the powder coaters. Ship date 4/1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears