Roof Top Tent positioning?

So, a couple weeks ago, I bit the bullet and bought my roof top tent to sit on top of my Gobi Stealth rack. Probably my best 'mod' to date -- everyone is asking about it when they see it deployed, plus it's comfortable, and so much less hassle than a ground tent.

For those of you with a RTT,
have you tried it opening to the right/left/rear? I though right side would be ideal based on how I setup camp every time last year - anyone with have any thoughts to rear opening?

Also, my photo makes it difficult to tell, but I can pull the RTT back about 10" - and am thinking of doing just that as I can't remove the freedom panels as it sits.

How do you have your RTT positioned 'front to back' - is it best to try & center over the rear wheels as best you can, or move it forward as far as possible? Or does it even matter?

Thanks!

Lucky j

Explorer
I think it is always best to center a load in the middle of a vehicule as much as possible, but like you, I would like the keep the ability to open a freedom top. So to me, the freedom top would prevail.

As for right of left, I went for right, based on backing up in camp site wicht are usualy set up that way as standard. I'm not always in full nature, so I made my position for that.

But again, I think It is a personal choice.

Happy trail!

shogun

Adventurer

How do you have your RTT positioned 'front to back' - is it best to try & center over the rear wheels as best you can, or move it forward as far as possible? Or does it even matter?

Thanks!

Yes, it matters...no you wont like it.

The vehicle carries all the load on four wheels/tires. Assuming symmetrical L/R then we talk about F/R load distribution. The load on the front tires is difficult to change much as compared to the rears. You will add gasoline, people, gear and maybe a trailer. Most of which gets added to the rear drivetrain. IMO you need to distribute weight across both axles as evenly as possible to avoid rear drivetrain failures, wear and tear. There are several ways to do that but the simplest is to adjust the load to the center as much as possible. You wont be able to get the RTT exactly on center, but the forward most position will be close. Added benefit is anything you put on the rack behind it wont affect drag very much.

On the other hand, it looks alot cooler when placed on the aft end of the rack. Hmmm, mechanical optimization or look cool. I know where that usually comes down.

Eric S.

Adventurer
I wanted mine to open to the passenger side. Just in case for some reason I have to deploy it while on the side of the road. Suppose if it fits, the rear would work too but looks like your tops door would hit the tents floor and I envision the ladder getting in they way there.

naked

I have mine opening towards the rear on an AEV roof rack:

10311261_633614813400761_16510720_n.jpg

This works great with the annex room, since it opens up into the rear of the jeep. No issue with opening the rear window or swing out door.

My only issue is the tent is 1" wider than the roof rack in this position, and with the awning mounted on one side, the tent hangs about 3" off of the other side. I will be re-mounting it to open to the side for that reason.

I am considering the front piece for the gobi rack... which would keep my freedom panels closed up anyway - so depending on what I plan to store there, I could shift the tent as centered as possible, and split my 'extra stuff' load between the space left in the front and space created in the back. Therefore, the load would be as centered as possible.

Thanks for the advice!

dstock

Explorer
Just my 2 cents....

I have a similar setup and mounted mine to open passenger side. I have the front piece for the Gobi and that is where my Rotopax tanks are mounted. The load feels evenly distributed and I do have the option of running with the freedom panels open when not carrying additional fuel and such. I didn't want to have to go through the annex everytime I wanted to access something in the back of the JK. A few inches one way or another, especially if you are going to store more items in front or behind the RTT, isn't likely to make much difference on wear and tear.

YMMV

i-f7MXJrW-L.jpg

stevil

Great question. I also have the gobi stealth, and I have been wondering the same and am going to try a few different configurations to see what I like. I have a cvt mt shasta and have only used it twice, but driven with it for 2 weeks. The 1st time I mounted it as far back as I could, centered opening drivers side. The rear wheel well was a bit in the way of the annex (we slept down there, kids were up in tent.
I moved it towards the drivers side in camp to get more room below.

I think next time I use the annex I will try and mount it more forward so the annex can be between the front and rear wheels.

I also have an Arb awning, so that goes on the passengers side.

I'm taking it out again this weekend. Won't use the annex, but will mount it a bit forward to see how it handles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears