Roof Top Tent Question.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Hi folks, so I am going in roughly four years with my Mombassa RTT, and the outer cover is completely disentigrated. Anyone know of any venders that offer them for sale? Replacement covers? I was up half the night searching online. I would say I could pick it up at Expo, but i would prefer to get it on the tent asap in case it rains. Thanks!
Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

kai38

Explorer
I had an upholstery shop make me a new cover when my RTT cover was wearing out from the sun and road wind.

Ramjet

Explorer
You can also check with Custom Awning Manufacturers a swell. You could possibly look at Sail Boat places as well. Tons of places will be more than willing to make something custom for you.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Look into 18 oz. vinyl coated polyester - the stuff they make truck tarps from. A maker of boat covers ought to be able to whip one up for you without a lot of trouble.

Dennx

Adventurer
Try emailing CVT, Columbia Overland or Tepui and see if they will sell you a cover.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I would try to build my own....
It would probably be of better quality n last a lot longer...
I think most covers sold out there are only good for a few years, depending on what part of the country you live in...

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
There's a guy on here that had a company that makes river rafts make him one which turned out to be the most HD cover I've seen and it should last forever... as long as you don't mind river raft colors.

His screen name on here is "lil kj" I think. He's from Durango, CO

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
There are quite a few options to get covers made. Any place that makes boat/car covers can probably make one that fits a lot better and will last longer. Even shops that make convertible tops will usually take on odd jobs like this.

I already have a local place that i've dont business with before that I'm going to get to make me one whenever mine breaks of wears out.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
They used to have the rainflys listed for sale here http://www.giveanet.com/ but the RTT stuff is all gone now. I emailed them about the waterproofing not working anymore but all I got was a ************** answer to buy a new tent.

How is your Mombasa's waterproofing holding up? My Mombasa tent is going on 5 years old now and has been through a lot of pretty good storms. It is starting to leak some water through this past summer. I got some waterproofing from my buddy at West Marine to try. Its probably going to be a PITA to put on but hopefully it works!

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Not the rainfly. The travel cover. The brown cover made of heavy material used when the tent is closed up. But I found one, the guys at Columbia Overland are gonna take care of me. Sweet.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
OK. How is your waterproofing holding up?

Oh yea, TRDParts4U sells the covers. I have an extra one somewhere around here too.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
The cover is destroyed. It has been exposed to harsh weather, either high altitude sunshine and brutal heat or snow and rain and freezing temps for four years. I should be getting my new one soon!
Next time I will look at getting a raft company to possible fabricate one. Sounds promising.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I used to work for an auto upholesteror. I showed him my tent and told him about the zipper problems I had when I first got it (hence the new/other cover). He took a look at it and said that the zipper would be tough to match up and it would be easier just use use a marine-grade zipper as a replacement.

I would think a nice marine-grade canvas would probably work good for you out West.

I have also found out that if I take some spray silicone on a rag and wipe the zipper, it tends to work a lot better with less hang-ups. I usually do it before a trip when prepping and packing.

rbod

Has anyone ever had a replacement cover made? I have an AutoHome Overland that some day will need a cover and I've never been able to get replacement parts for it (well once after over a dozen calls I got the wrong part). I know they only market the hard shell AutoHome's in the US now and worry about what happens when the cover eventually wears out, so any experiences would be great to hear about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears