Roof top tent vs. trailer top tent: Go...

java

Expedition Leader
I have mine on my truck and have a trailer.

There are times when I don't want to take the trailer, if its just the wife and I. Or I want to take my trailer that carries dirt bikes, and want to sleep in the tent. So to me there is more utility in it being on the truck.

Also the changing room wouldn't work with it on my trailer, sure I could build a lifting mechanism of some sort, but I tried to keep my trailer light weight. And my daughter and dogs sleep in the changing room, So I need that 98% of the time. I do see how nice it would be to be able to use the trailer and ent as a base camp though and be able to leave with the truck without taking the tent down.

RonL

Adventurer
What do you want to do? Setup basecamp and travel around or travel thru?
Trailer/tents are great for "basecamp" so you don't have to haul all your gear with you but depending on the trail, aren't the best idea.
For me, trailer/tent.

cwadej

just a guy
I'm putting an Airtop on a trailer. instant setup, can be left at base camp, 40" off the ground.

Best of both worlds :wings:

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
...says the guy who sells roof top tents (he gets a sale either way). :D Does the gas mileage decrease hold true for the hard case type tents like the Maggiolina?

No, most customers tell us there is zero to 1-1/2 MPG decrease in MPG. On a few vehicles (older Cherokees, of instance) this is an actual INCREASE in MPG. It is a variable thing that is difficult to estimate.

Box Rocket

I'm putting an Airtop on a trailer. instant setup, can be left at base camp, 40" off the ground.

Best of both worlds :wings:

Best of both what? The debate was having a tent on a vehicle or on a trailer. Your's is on a trailer, but how does that gain you the benefits of one mounted to a vehicle?

I can give you a recent real world trailer top with a 3300 mile avg. from WI to Yellowstone via Mt Rushmore. my tow vehicle is a 13 jku Sahara with 3.21 gears, trailer with tent loaded was 900 lbs. the tent was a CVT bachelor

You never said what kind of driving you would do, trail or road. on a jeep, I would hope you are considering a Gobi type rack at minimum

Avg was 16.3. I very rarely went past 70. Never used cruise and had horrific head winds in both directions. I would highly recommend against putting it on top of the jeep. Ymmv

y9amasu6.jpg

Last edited:

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
I went through the same debate.
I said...Roof Rack and Rooftop Tent or Trailer with Rooftop Tent mounted to it...
I went back and forth for a while and it came down to this.
For one or two people? I'd go with a roof rack and RTT ontop of the vehicle. I can fit more than enough gear to last a while in the back of my JKU with the tent atop along with a little extra gear on the roofrack. Most of the time I don't setup the tent until I am done driving for the day anyway, so I wouldn't be too worried about having to fold it up when I needed to move. And it's easy to do if I need to. A con though is that everytime you want to go on a trip you have to loadout your vehicle again and again. Also, you now have a tent atop your vehicle 24/7 even when daily driving.
However, for a family or 3-4+ people? A trailer for sure. I went with a trailer because I had a son right when it became decision time. And let me tell you, it is crazy nice to have a trailer to haul gear for a baby, haha!! I can fit pack and plays, toys, extra supplies, and even a camping high chair in my trailer with ease. This allows me to bring the whole family with the gear to support them into the middle of no where. Also? The trailer can stay at camp and I can play with my Jeep without having to change a thing. Just disconnect the trailer and go. And? When I am daily driving, the trailer stays at home without interfering with vehicle performance. And finally? The trailer is sitting ready to go right now. I just have to throw some clothes in the bag and load some food and the whole family is ready to go camping within an hour. Pretty nice!
So in summary? Are you planning on going on your own or with a friend? I'd stick to just the vehicle. Are you planning on supporting a family or group while out on the trail? Then get a trailer!
10348208_587729599795_5052512237859380715_n.jpg

PS: My trailer goes anywhere my Jeep goes, including hill climbs, rock crawls, and water crossings. I haven't felt limited yet. But I also have been on wider trails lately...really tight ones can change my tune.

Steve Richmond

All great comments and thoughts. I tend to agree with BrettDez and am leaning towards a trailer for the extra room and flexibility when wanting to unhook...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman