Roof Top Tent WEIGHT

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I am tying to understand why roof top tents are so incredibly heavy compared to their on-the-ground counterparts.
I have seen one, the Oasis II that is 40lb but the rest are over 100lb!
Modern technology has introduced spacious multi-person ground tents that weigh in at a tenth of the weight of a similar size roof top.

Why do roof tops use such heavy canvas materials?
Why do they use Plywood instead of a lighter fiberglass or composite material for the floor?

In addition roof top tents seem to be at least twice as expensive as a very high end ground tent.

Is the high cost due to the small market?

Help me understand!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Many roof top tents, such as the Eazi Awn and Hannibal, use marine grade plywood and aluminum for the frames....the plywood is heavy, along with the heavy ripstop canvas which comprises the main body.

My only thinking of "why" this is used is to surmise that the environment that they are primarily for (savannah) has lots of local flora that'll rip a tent to shreds unless it's made to be pretty bomber.

Cost is probably due to shipping...also...it's worth the expense! I would have no qualms spending $2K for a good quality rooftop tent...that's about 20 days of hotel rooms...

-H-

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
mcvickoffroad said:
I am tying to understand why roof top tents are so incredibly heavy compared to their on-the-ground counterparts.
I have seen one, the Oasis II that is 40lb but the rest are over 100lb!
Modern technology has introduced spacious multi-person ground tents that weigh in at a tenth of the weight of a similar size roof top.

Why do roof tops use such heavy canvas materials?
Why do they use Plywood instead of a lighter fiberglass or composite material for the floor?

In addition roof top tents seem to be at least twice as expensive as a very high end ground tent.

Is the high cost due to the small market?

Help me understand!

MCV

Our Maggiolina and Columbus tents are more like Pullman berths than ground tents, and are made of fiberglass composite, a couple of new models are carbon fiber composite. These tents weigh from 71 lbs to 152 lbs depending on material, size and options. Much of the weight of a roof tent is the floor - supplied free when you use a ground tent. But the need for insulation under the tent and a comfortable mattress increases the weight by about 30 lbs or more.

The fabrics used in these tents is not canvas, but waterproof breathable fabric, engineered to operate in extremes of temperature and to last for decades.

The more traditional RTT designs could be made lighter through better choice of materials, and planning for the weight issues relating to roof loads and shipping costs. Our Fabric tents - OverLand and OverCamp - are comparable in weight to the fiberglass models and still provide a lot of comfort, safety, and remain weather tight.

I have never slept in an Oasis II so I am unprepared to comment on the design features or quality of the tent, but I know that our customers love our tents and won't go camping without them.

They cost more than a ground tent because they ARE more than a ground tent, and the materials are more costly, and the manufacturing is done one at a time.

M

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Mike
I am impressed to hear that they are incorporating carbon fiber into some of the designs.

I realy like roof top tents so I'm not necessarily knocking them. But in seriously considering the purchase of one I am concerned with the weight and surprised that thier is not a lighter design out there.

91xlt

Adventurer
yeah, i have to agree...due to the flooring. with a standard tent the ground supports you, with a roof tent a floor has to be incorporated to support you.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Mike-
I noticed on the Italian site that they have carbon fiber tents, are they available here in the US? IF so what is the price differences and weight differences?

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
flyingwil said:
Mike-
I noticed on the Italian site that they have carbon fiber tents, are they available here in the US? IF so what is the price differences and weight differences?

Wil -

Yes, we have been importing them, and are getting them up on the website very soon. We were impressed with the carbon fiber prototype we saw in Italy last year, and ordered some. They were sold before they arrived. Ordered more - they sold out too. So more are coming.

Currently, the only model currently available in carbon fiber is the Columbus, which is a pretty light weight design to start with. The small Columbus Carbon weighs in at 71lbs. with mounting hardware, mattress pillows, etc. The medium Columbus Carbon is 83 lbs.

These tents are not cheap, therefore not for everyone... the small columbus Carbon is $3299, the medium is $3499. The materials are expensive, and these tents are laid up by hand one at a time. Beautiful tents tho'. Here's a medium Columbus Carbon on an FZJ80...

418981.JPG

Dmarchand

Adventurer
I've been seriously considering disassembling my Hannibal and replacing the plywood with a carbon fiber sheet or the King Starlite stuff used on boats. Just waiting on pricing. Might have to be a winter project.

gcec

Dmarchand said:
I've been seriously considering disassembling my Hannibal and replacing the plywood with a carbon fiber sheet or the King Starlite stuff used on boats. Just waiting on pricing. Might have to be a winter project.

DON'T DO IT!! One of the key reasons that Hannibal has stayed with the wooden floor is that it is a better insulator and does not sweat. I've used various brands of roof top tents with different materials and floors and the combination of the Hannibal "Dyna-proofed" fabric and wooden floor means that I've never woken up wet.

The problem with aluminium and composite floors is that they get cold in cold weather and any warim humid air inside the tent immediately condenses. The wood doesn't. We had 3 guys and two springers in a tent (while pheasant shooting in Alberta near Rocky Mountain House), so lots of warm air inside, and minus 15C outside. No condensation. Two adults on Vancouver Island, Howling Moon tent with aluminium floor, outside temp 0C, wet sleeping bags.

If you don't camp in the cold, I guess it doesn't matter:)

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
gcec said:
...The problem with aluminium and composite floors is that they get cold in cold weather and any warim humid air inside the tent immediately condenses. The wood doesn't. We had 3 guys and two springers in a tent (while pheasant shooting in Alberta near Rocky Mountain House), so lots of warm air inside, and minus 15C outside. No condensation. Two adults on Vancouver Island, Howling Moon tent with aluminium floor, outside temp 0C, wet sleeping bags.

If you don't camp in the cold, I guess it doesn't matter:)

Condensation in tents is a key factor in selecting materials. Primary is the breahability of the fabric, second is interior surfaces where condensation may take place.

Our OverLand tent platforms are encapsulated marine plywood, and the poles/hoops are fitted with fabric sleeves to eliminate condensation on the metal surfaces. Our Maggiolina and Columbus tents employ a fiberglass/foam/fiberglass sandwich construction that eliminates cold coming from under the tent. The are also guttered so that any water getting into the tent is channeled to the edges, and they have a quilted headliner to eliminate condensation on teh ceiling. We also offer an under mattress air circulation mat that allows airflow under the mattress. Our tents do not have condensation problems in either cold weather or desert situations where the days are hot and the nights are cold enough to potentially cause condensation. I agree that a metal or other uninsulated floor is a preoblem waiting to happen.

But the single biggest factors are ventilation and breathable fabrics. If you get these right, condensation is mostly taken care of.

Where in Alberta were you bird hunting?

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998