rooftop tent mounting question

VicMackey

Adventurer
Hi, I am putting the finishing touches on my RTT mount on my M101A3. I have a specific question I need answered before I can deploy the tent:

When the tent is unfolded/deployed, does it go past horizontal? I ask because if you look at my pics, you can see where the mounting bars extend past the tent. I am concerned that when I open the tent, it can/will go past horizontal and will get dented/punctured on the bars. The end of the bars are a bit sharp and narrow and if the floor of the tent were to hit the end of the bar, it would probably be bad.

If need be, I can shorten the bars to a length that will end before the tent hinge area. If possible, I would like to keep them length they are now, so I can use them to hang and mount stuff to.

Hopefully my question makes sense once you look at my pics.

Thanks in advance.

smd3

Your pics don't seem to work, but I have a CVT Mt. Ranger on my 101A2. The tent opens flat, so you'll want the bottom edge just above the edges of the trailer.

You'll also need to make the hinge side line up with the edge of your trailer if you want to use the annex room effectively. My tent is just mounted on a wooden frame, inside the trailer. This winter I'm going to have a metal rack made up for it. I've got some ideas on how I want to do it...it needs to be removable for me, I still like to use this as a utility trailer.

IMG_3930.jpg
IMG_4010 (1).jpg

Last edited:

smd3

When the tent is unfolded/deployed, does it go past horizontal? I ask because if you look at my pics, you can see where the mounting bars extend past the tent. I am concerned that when I open the tent, it can/will go past horizontal and will get dented/punctured on the bars. The end of the bars are a bit sharp and narrow and if the floor of the tent were to hit the end of the bar, it would probably be bad.

This should be fine. The tent floor will have aluminum extruded channels on the side that attaches to your rack/frame. This will lift it off of the rack/frame about an inch. The floor will never dip below a flat plane, unless the hinge is damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears