Rooftop tents and canoes?

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Anyone running a canoe on a roof top tent?

I resurrected this thread to see if there are any other individuals running a canoe on a RTT without a custom rack...my canoe weighs around 45 lbs and I would like a Maggiolina tent...is anyone doing this?

1. either foam blocks right on the tent? not my first choice
2. yakima/thule loadbars attached the top case of a suitable Maggiolina tent?
3. directly on a Maggiolina extreme tent integrated rack?
4. etc

And what is your experience...too much weight up high? Thanks...

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I resurrected this thread to see if there are any other individuals running a canoe on a RTT without a custom rack...my canoe weighs around 45 lbs and I would like a Maggiolina tent...is anyone doing this?

1. either foam blocks right on the tent? not my first choice
2. yakima/thule loadbars attached the top case of a suitable Maggiolina tent?
3. directly on a Maggiolina extreme tent integrated rack?
4. etc

And what is your experience...too much weight up high? Thanks...

I do not recommend that you put weight on the top of either an Maggiolina AirLand or Air Top. The extreme is re-inforced to allow it to carry a reasonable load. The Grand Tour and Columbus Variant made with re-inforced points to mount a 'Fit Kit' and carry a piggyback rack system suitable to carry a lightweight canoe or Kayak.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Im not sure what your rig is, but cant you set the tent to fold out off the rear vehicle? So you get a more narrow tent, put it in the middle. Get the widest bars you can and put the boats on each side. The tent opens to the rear and doesnt interfere with the boats. I want to carry 2 mountain bikes and figured this is how I was going to do it. If this doesnt make sense I can draw a quick pic when I;m on my other computer. This would keep the weight as low as possible, although it would be wide. You can't have it all I guess.

-Jon

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Im not sure what your rig is, but cant you set the tent to fold out off the rear vehicle? So you get a more narrow tent, put it in the middle. Get the widest bars you can and put the boats on each side. The tent opens to the rear and doesnt interfere with the boats. I want to carry 2 mountain bikes and figured this is how I was going to do it. If this doesnt make sense I can draw a quick pic when I;m on my other computer. This would keep the weight as low as possible, although it would be wide. You can't have it all I guess.

-Jon
No this makes perfect sense...and I like the idea of wide bars and a skinny tent...
I have a tacoma dc shortbed with a camper shell...I guess this suggestion would work with kayaks and the J style load racks with wide bars but with the canoe it seems like this would involve offsetting the tent so much to one side and I am worried about weight distribution...I guess with a cloth type RTT vs hard topped (Maggiolina style) I wouldn't mind ghetto strapping the canoe to the top with some foam...god I want a FWC...

adrenaline503

Explorer
No this makes perfect sense...and I like the idea of wide bars and a skinny tent...
I have a tacoma dc shortbed with a camper shell...I guess this suggestion would work with kayaks and the J style load racks with wide bars but with the canoe it seems like this would involve offsetting the tent so much to one side and I am worried about weight distribution...I guess with a cloth type RTT vs hard topped (Maggiolina style) I wouldn't mind ghetto strapping the canoe to the top with some foam...god I want a FWC...

Hmmm, I forgot about the single canoe. How wide is the canoe? I like the tent deploying aft since it makes a roof over the tailgate which I would find useful in the PNW. I imagine strapping the canoe to the tent would not be a problem. Another possibility and perhaps the best one is to use a contractor rack like this:

BT42792-01.jpg

You could use this as the platform for your system, taking the weight off the shell and giving you more real estate to work with. If you wanted to go nuts you could mount something like this to the front:

CanoeRack0003.JPG

RRT in the back, boats up front, and no weight on the shell. Plus your weight would be more distributed over the length of the vehicle and low as possible.

Last edited:

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
I carry a camping labs RTT and a kayak on top of my 2003 jeep grand cherokee without any issues... what I did was get Thule feet and 58 inch load bars, The grand cherokee usually calls for the 50 inch ones, mount them that it is offset 5 inches to one side on the roof... mounted the RTT on the drivers side and the kayak carrier on the passenger side , slightly over the roof... all still fits within the roof area of the jeep and with the kayak mounted, still narrower than the mirrors.... there is a one inch gap between the cover and the hull so no ribbing and it opens up on the opposite side so no interference.

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
I carry a camping labs RTT and a kayak on top of my 2003 jeep grand cherokee without any issues... what I did was get Thule feet and 58 inch load bars, The grand cherokee usually calls for the 50 inch ones, mount them that it is offset 5 inches to one side on the roof... mounted the RTT on the drivers side and the kayak carrier on the passenger side , slightly over the roof... all still fits within the roof area of the jeep and with the kayak mounted, still narrower than the mirrors.... there is a one inch gap between the cover and the hull so no ribbing and it opens up on the opposite side so no interference.

Do you have any pictures of this? This is what I had come up with in theory but I still can't quite picture this. Thanks

S

Squatchout

Interesting thread. I'm new here and this question was part of the reason I joined. These pics are typical of my truck on a trip.
Picture008Small.jpg

Picture034Small.jpg

Doesn't leave much room up top for a RTT. The truck really isn't long enough inside for me to sleep comfortably. I need something for a quick overnighter prior to float trips alot. Getting too old to sleep on the ground if I don't have too. So I've been mulling over options. I recently replaced my old 4 season hexdome backpacking tent with a standing room cabin style tent for base camping that will hold 2 xl cots. That's fine for campgrounds when I'm pulling my bassboat. not so good for quick overnighters.

Best option I've found so far for me is to use my M416 military trailer as a camping vehicle. Many of the roads I travel for long periods would destroy a normal small pop up trailer. This will go anywhere no problem. Now it needs a tent.
Picture151Small.jpg

I think soon I'm going to get myself one of these made by a member here. It seems like the best solution. i'm looking for decent price, quick setup, useable on my different trailers. I like this one. It has what I want. Comfy place to sleep but I don't have to lay on my back to change clothes and there is room for a porta pot in the changing room for when the wife is on the trip. Most RTT for me are too big or too expensive for the occasional use mine will see. Either that or they have no awning/changing room just a bed. Anyone here have any feedback on this tent?
http://www.top-tent.com/MOABTents.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78