Rooftop tents on a rhino rack 2500?

Roadranger

I just bought a rhino rack with aero bars and 2500 attachment feet for my 2013 Sierra as a start to my build. After having it arrive, I discovered that the rack isn't recommended to be used with a roof tent. This is apparently due to the clamp on design. I have seen Thule racks of a similar style used for a roof tent, so why not a rhino rack? And if they're not simply covering their butts, what kind of rack could I put up there that would accommodate a roof tent?

M.Bas

Adventurer
From the manufacturers point of view it is indeed basically they covering their asses, they can't guarantee the feet won't damage your roof when you mount a RTT on them.
The potential problem with the feet is related to the placement of the feet on the roof, a tent is relatively heavy, so if the feet are not placed correctly or the roof is simply not strong enough they might make a dent in the roof because of the weight of the tent.
Also be aware that the mounting hardware of your tent might not clear the Aero bars, the standard mounting hardware on my Maggiolina Airtop barely fits my Rhino Rack HD bars and the Aero bars are much wider.

Most pickup owners have the RTT mounted on the tub using some sort of construction, or on a hard top with internal frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger