Rotated tires this last weekend, tires are cracking a bit, should I replace?

nckwltn

Explorer
rotated my tires this last weakend... got to looking at my tires, they look kind of cracked and some side tread looks to be coming off in some areas. I've had the Montero for a year, but it was previously in southern Arizona.

I suppose I "should" replace the tires, but how urgent is replacing them? Would you just ride them out until they give way or until the tread goes down further? Perhaps I get new tires and sell these on craigslist for a few bucks?

Thoughts?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It's called checking and is pretty common on older tires, you can probably run them awhile given how well built the KO's are but make sure you have your spare.

tarditi

Explorer
There's a butyl lining inside the tire.
The outside can get a little rough looking before the inside liner is at risk, but do plan to replace them soon. I'm not sure what resale value they would have in that condition though - market will determine, I suppose.

DSouth

Observer
It might be useful to look at the tire manufacture date. When they get older (7 years or something) they start to do that and eventually the tire will fail. I've only had one failure due to deterioration like that, but it can happen. Deterioration seems to be accelerated when exposed to UV light. So, if they aren't too old and even if they are run em but bring a good spare.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
S.AZ is hell on tires. High UV plus intense heat will kill the rubber quick. Wiper blades never get used and have to replace them almost every year.

nckwltn

Explorer
I don't do a lot of miles, this is kind of my 2nd car... I commute on a motorcycle daily.... In the last year I've only done about 5k miles on the Montero. I guess I'll start shopping tires and be ready to replace. The kicker is that I'm looking at spending about 1/3rd of what I have into the car just on tires!

Thanks for the advice.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
If it sits a lot in the sun one thing I have seen here in S. AZ is people puttung wood over the tires to keep the UV off of them. Maybe a tire cover or something to make sure they don't dry out and crack again.

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
As previously mentioned, tires should be replaced after 7 years. Old tires have a good chance of blowing in to pieces if ran at highway speeds.

nckwltn

Explorer
is there a website where I can decode some number from the tire to tell me when it was manufactured?

I'm guessing the tires were put in 08-09 time frame, but I'll have to double check the previous owner's massive pile of paperwork to see if the tires are listed in there.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
The last 4 digits in the DOT number are date of manufacturing. 2 digit week and 2 digit year. So for example 2512 would be the 25th week of 2012. I assume they use January as the first week, and not some random month like June...

Monstero

Adventurer
I would just make sure you have a spare and run Em. .. put the worst ones on the rear tho. . They will last a while yet and are still plenty good for the trail

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior