Rovers North Free Shipping

TeriAnn

Explorer
Andrew Walcker said:
Good for internet orders from November 22-25th. Time to get those larger items!

I'm sorry, but did Rovers North just buy this forum??? Or pay for advertising??

Though I suppose it would be a good time to mail order a 109 frame or used ambulance body.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
TeriAnn said:
I'm sorry, but did Rovers North just buy this forum??? Or pay for advertising??

Posted only to save forum members money. In the past I have waited for these types of sales to purchase larger items and have always appreciated the savings.

lstrvr

Not to steel this thread, but TeriAnn, are you or have you been considering an ambulance body for your truck? I currently own a Carawagon, but have been looking at an ambulance up here in Canada and have been considering this as a better option for Expeditions.

I would love to hear your comments on this.

Neil

TeriAnn

Explorer
lstrvr said:
Not to steel this thread, but TeriAnn, are you or have you been considering an ambulance body for your truck? I currently own a Carawagon, but have been looking at an ambulance up here in Canada and have been considering this as a better option for Expeditions.
I would love to hear your comments on this.
Neil

hijacked.gif

No plans to do a rear body swap.

An ambulance body is heavier than your Carawagon body, it raises the vehicle's centre of gravity and its not tall enough to stand up inside. There is a reason the Land Rover ambulance comes stock with an anti sway bar.

Conversely, the ambulance body has a wider interior and insulation.

A lot depends upon where you travel. It could be a good solution if you drive on maintained trails and want to stay warm at night.

I have given some thoughts to what I would build if I built another expedition Land Rover and had a chunk of $$$$.

Start with a LHD rolling 101 chassis. Lengthen the frame to around a 120 inch wheelbase (maybe longer). Drive train to be based on a Cummins 6BT and auto transmission (No forward control clutch & gear shift issues). Front cab to be a widened IIB forward control cab. Rear to be custom with horizontal pop up (to keep centre of gravity low and clearance from low branches) with a hydraulic ram at each corner of the pop up top.

The interior to be as plush & as light weight as I can make it. Read stand up inside shower included and a small propane oven for scratch made sourdough biscuits :chowtime:

Last edited:

Overdrive

Adventurer
TeriAnn said:
Drive train to be based on a...auto transmission

The interior to be as plush... as I can make it.

TeriAnn, are you getting soft on us? Just kidding...

Do you prefer an auto for four wheeling, or ??? I just wanted to hear your opinion on the issue, I know it's a raging debate.
Scott

TeriAnn

Explorer
Overdrive said:
TeriAnn, are you getting soft on us? Just kidding...

I have loved my camping comfort since I came to the realization that a 109 could carry more than my old back packing camping gear.

My dinner is usually consumed in matching pattern plates and bowls, matching flatware on a cloth place place mat with matching cloth napkin. My dinner wine is consumed in a glass stemmed glass. Comfort in all things expedition Land Rover!

Overdrive said:
Do you prefer an auto for four wheeling, or ??? I just wanted to hear your opinion on the issue, I know it's a raging debate.
Scott

I've never tried off roading with a slush box so don't have a lot of feelings about it. My very first car was the only car I've ever owned that had one. As you noted there are folks who really love them. I've never paid much attention to them previously.

Clutch and gearbox linkage are difficult to route on a forward control vehicle and the results tend to be not all that satisfactory. I figure a top loader gearbox behind the inline six Cummins 6BT sitting between the front seats would need someone in a rear row of seats to do the shifting. Slush box linkage should be easier to plumb for a box sitting behind the driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears