RRC Seat Removal

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Is there an easy way to slide an RRC front seat forward when the switch/motor is broken? I just want to move it forward so I can get to the screws and remove the seat. I'm replacing it with the new one. A hacksaw and sledge are my next option.

Craig

Last edited:

AKRover

Adventurer
I've never taken mine apart but there has to be a better way then a sledge and hacksaw. I wish I could get ahold of some newer front seats, mine are trashed.

benlittle

Adventurer
I would just take the switch box apart and fix it for good. If you haven't done this, it's a piece of cake but it takes a while. I've done it several times and here are some pointers I've learned.

Open the switch box inside a 1gal Ziploc (there are 10-20 tiny ball bearings and 4-6 small springs inside and opening outside if you aren't prepared they will spring out all over the place).

The switches work on roller/rocker/spring operations.

The points under the rockers get corroded (clean with steel wool).

When you put it back together, I've found the easiest way to ensure that all the bearings/ springs and rocker points to stay in place is to use small dabs of dielectric grease on the rocker pivot points, ball bearings and springs.

I've rebuilt/ cleaned 4-5 of these and never had this not work.

Or, a sledge would work too :D

rrclassicbt550

Farmer Jon
Craig,

Yes, you can take the switch all apart and clean the contacts to make your switch work again, which is a wonderful way to save $130 by not buying a new seat switch.
However, if your purpose is just to pull the seat out and replace it, you can access where the switch connects to the motors underneath the seats. All you will need is a car battery and a couple of scraps of wire. Locate the connections under the seat and pull them apart than take the larger one with the prongs in it and systematically try them until you find the particular direction you want. After all, they are just motors that go forward and back so just flip the wires around if it is going forward when you want it to go backward.

When I replaced my seats this is the method I used because my seat switches didn't work either. When I got them out of my rover I didn't have the heart to throw them out, so I made a garage couch out of them.

I hope this helps you.

Have a good one!
Jon

Attachments

• IMG_3356.JPG
    IMG_3356.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3773.JPG
    IMG_3773.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3774.JPG
    IMG_3774.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3775.JPG
    IMG_3775.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3776.JPG
    IMG_3776.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3778.JPG
    IMG_3778.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

rrclassicbt550

Farmer Jon
I've never taken mine apart but there has to be a better way then a sledge and hacksaw. I wish I could get ahold of some newer front seats, mine are trashed.

AKRover,

Have you tried www.car-part.com? I found both of my front seats in almost new condition with working switches for $175.

Attachments

• IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3022.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 8

AKRover

Adventurer
Yes but I'm in Alaska so my chooses are limited. It's not like I can drive to the junk yard in the next state over.

rrclassicbt550

Farmer Jon
Yes but I'm in Alaska so my chooses are limited. It's not like I can drive to the junk yard in the next state over.

That does pose a problem. My friend was stationed up there for about 4 years; when he bought parts for his car, he had to have them shipped. Most parts recyclers can ship to almost any address now-a-days so you could always have them shipped to you. Only problem is that the rates are probably a little more expensive to Alaska but you could still make it somewhat cost effective by waiting for the right deal.

craig

I would just take the switch box apart and fix it for good. If you haven't done this, it's a piece of cake but it takes a while. I've done it several times and here are some pointers I've learned.

Open the switch box inside a 1gal Ziploc (there are 10-20 tiny ball bearings and 4-6 small springs inside and opening outside if you aren't prepared they will spring out all over the place).

The switches work on roller/rocker/spring operations.

The points under the rockers get corroded (clean with steel wool).

When you put it back together, I've found the easiest way to ensure that all the bearings/ springs and rocker points to stay in place is to use small dabs of dielectric grease on the rocker pivot points, ball bearings and springs.

I've rebuilt/ cleaned 4-5 of these and never had this not work.

Or, a sledge would work too :D

The seat is torn and broken. I bought a complete set of manual cloth seats out of a 91 Hunter that are in great shape. I just want to get the old ones out so I can swap the sweet new one in. :)

craig

Craig,

Yes, you can take the switch all apart and clean the contacts to make your switch work again, which is a wonderful way to save $130 by not buying a new seat switch.
However, if your purpose is just to pull the seat out and replace it, you can access where the switch connects to the motors underneath the seats. All you will need is a car battery and a couple of scraps of wire. Locate the connections under the seat and pull them apart than take the larger one with the prongs in it and systematically try them until you find the particular direction you want. After all, they are just motors that go forward and back so just flip the wires around if it is going forward when you want it to go backward.

When I replaced my seats this is the method I used because my seat switches didn't work either. When I got them out of my rover I didn't have the heart to throw them out, so I made a garage couch out of them.

I hope this helps you.

Have a good one!
Jon

Perfect. If shorting the switch doesn't work (Same thing in principle) then I'll give this a go. Thanks Jon!

Hopefully it isn't a burnt out motor. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998