RRT Top Heavy Jeep, suspension/sway bar suggestions

wildo

@wildo, do you have the complete weight of your rig available?

Let's see.

JKUR (4340 curb weight) + AEV front (95lb) /rear bumper w tire carrier (120lb) + Rockslide Engineer rails (150lb) + rooftop backbone rack, tent and awning (291+80lb) + 100lb of misc stuff that sits in the jeep =

4340+ 836 = 5176lb unloaded.

With the fridge and gear on a camping trip, probably another 150-300lbs not counting passengers.

Attachments

• JKUR-004.jpg
    JKUR-004.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 25
  • JKUR-003.jpg
    JKUR-003.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 26
  • JKUR-005.jpg
    JKUR-005.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 24

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I recently went with the OME 2620 rear springs from 2618's in mine. It helped a lot and my Jeep is @6200 lbs loaded with people. I have been taking a critical look at all of the things I'm bringing as well and hope to have gotten the Jeep down below 6000. We will see next week.

wildo

I recently went with the OME 2620 rear springs from 2618's in mine. It helped a lot and my Jeep is @6200 lbs loaded with people. I have been taking a critical look at all of the things I'm bringing as well and hope to have gotten the Jeep down below 6000. We will see next week.

Please post an update on your experience with the new coils.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Please post an update on your experience with the new coils.
Well we drove 1500 miles about a week after installation and they held the load level which the 2618's weren't doing. The Jeep does feel a little stiff unloaded, but I'd much rather deal with that and have the correct spring weight when loaded for obvious safety reasons. The springs can handle the weight, but my question is can the Jeep? There are a lot of things to consider when rating a vehicle for GVWR and I'm sure the suspension was at the top of the list for the OEM. My goal is to ultimately get the Jeep back down to GVWR for long term reliability of the platform as well as safe handling in an emergency situation. I kept the 2618 springs and they may find their way back under the Jeep at some point once we've made strides in the weight loss department.

wildo

Am thinking....if the shocks are firm, does coils matter as much? As I looked into the Falcon 3.3's, I see that they now have an adaptable e-adjust shock for in-cabin control tuning and 'programmable adaptive' functionality.

Called Falcon (Teraflex) today and they are closed for the holiday....didn't realize it was a holiday weekend?.?.?

Once I find a solution for taking the Rhino Rack off with the RTT/Awning combo easily for storage, I will be driving my jeep without the rooftop accessories. Knowing myself, I won't be swapping coils.

sabjku

Observer
Wow. My shop recommended the OME setup as well. Thanks for the tip on the spring weight and your experience. It's definitely pointing my towards OME springs with adjustable shocks like the Falcon 3.3. I will probably keep the entire suspension kit from Metalcloak and just swap the springs and shocks.

Did you get the extra heavy duty springs for the rear only or for all four corners?

The ORO Swayloc looks really good and am thinking of upgrading to that as I am looking at the GenRight rear fuel tank which requires a different sway bar setup where the ORO is compatible.

As a tangent, I was thinking of the ORO AirRock suspension for overlanding. Adjustable height, dynamic leveling, can stiffen up the corners that require it (aids in sway I guess). Being able to level the jeep at campgrounds or just airing all the way down to fit into indoor garages is a nice feature. :)

I went with exactly what Shays4me used, the 2620 springs. One thing I never got to try out was the 2620 rear OME's with the Falcon's. I put the Falcon's and the Teraflex Outbacks on at the same time. With that said, I absolutely love the adjustment range on the Falcon's and the Outback springs have really worked out well as far as pairing with the Falcon's. I put a lot of miles on my Jeep and it's great back and forth to work, and when I'm out on weekend adventures. I considered the in-cabin adjustments as well for the Falcon's, but ultimately just did the external. They are so easy to adjust that I wasn't really concerned.

One thing to note, and this is me personally, but I feel the OME shocks are way too undervalved and soft for the heavy duty OME springs. I did not like the way it handled, but again, that was my experience.

sabjku

Observer
Am thinking....if the shocks are firm, does coils matter as much? As I looked into the Falcon 3.3's, I see that they now have an adaptable e-adjust shock for in-cabin control tuning and 'programmable adaptive' functionality.

Called Falcon (Teraflex) today and they are closed for the holiday....didn't realize it was a holiday weekend?.?.?

Once I find a solution for taking the Rhino Rack off with the RTT/Awning combo easily for storage, I will be driving my jeep without the rooftop accessories. Knowing myself, I won't be swapping coils.

To answer your question about coils and shocks, yes. Coils and shocks are generally designed around each other for optimal ride and handling. If a spring isn't matched well weight wise to the damping characteristics/specs of a shock, you can end up with a less than optimal pairing.

wildo

I am leaning towards the Falcon SP2 3.3 Adapt system, keep my metal cloak dual rate springs and add...airbags. My crazy mind...

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I am leaning towards the Falcon SP2 3.3 Adapt system with keep my metal cloak dual rate springs and add...airbags. My crazy mind...
I had air bags with my stock springs for pulling my Casita and they worked well for the occasional load. If my jk wasn’t constantly at a higher weight with all extras I have I would consider it again.

Mccaf

Adventurist
Added some Airlift 1000 airbags and Bilstein 5100s to a 2.5”RE lift. What a difference. I’m usually fully loaded and pulling a ORT. For the amount of money it’s a game changer for me. Rides much better in town with only 10 psi also.

autism family travels

I was going to recommend the same. Falcon adjustable shocks, and a set of airbags. Buy two sets in case you blow one on the trail. I had this setup on my 11 and it was great.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Put the OME 150kg front, 300kg springs on it with a set of good gas shocks. OME makes those too. It's what I run on mine and I don't have any sway issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12