RSI smartcap or lightweight wedge camper (gfc)

Trucks2019

I have a short bed Tacoma and having a tough time deciding whether to go for a smartcap or a wedge camper, specifically the gfc. The gfc is twice the price so it’s not really a direct comparison. I’d be mainly using it for ski and climbing trips and overnighting at trailheads or forestry roads (I live in the PNW). The smartcap looks very durable which is a conecern I have of the gfc (Hearing lots of QC issues and not sure about long term durability of the roof and thin aluminium panels). So in summary, is it worth paying double for the pass through utility but something that may not last the life of my truck….

sn_85

Observer
Personally I'd probably get a wedge style camper or a straight pop-up like an AT Atlas, Topo Badlander or Ovrlnd Camper. If you plan to use it for ski and climbing trips it will be nice to have a place that you can stand up in to take a break, change or take a nap. Especially since you have a short bed tacoma, you won't be able to sleep in the shortbed even if it had a cap. With a pop-up you'll be able to maximize that space. Skip the GFC though and get something like a Topo Topper. Same price but better construction. The RSI is already like $4k anyways so it's not a cheap option either.

Last edited:

Trucks2019

Personally I'd probably get a wedge style camper. If you plan to use it for ski and climbing trips it will be nice to have a place that you can stand up in to take a break, change or take a nap. Especially since you have a short bed tacoma, you won't be able to sleep in the shortbed even if it had a cap. With a pop-up you'll be able to maximize that space. Skip the GFC though and get something like a Topo Topper. Same price but better construction. The RSI is already like $4k anyways so it's not a cheap option either.

Thanks, I’d not heard of them before. What makes these better constructed? they Look pretty cool and a competitive price as well!

sn_85

Observer
Thanks, I’d not heard of them before. What makes these better constructed? they Look pretty cool and a competitive price as well!

Just different construction technique. GFC uses a lot of extrusion and rivets to form the camper body. Topo uses formed and welded aluminum to form the body. The less joints there are the stronger the body will be and less ways that there can be water/dust intrusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan