RTT & a Canoe... anyone???

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Well I am too cleaver by half, again. I have my RTT mounted to the new rack system with LOTS of frontal acreage for extra gear or lounging on in 'deck' like fashion, but I am stumped regarding having the RTT and a 16' canoe at the same time. A new, smaller canoe is the only option I can think of, but that is going to piss Max off mightily. Can't really have that...

Any ideas?

http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp64/schattenjager27/?action=view&current=rr2.jpg

Well... photobucket isn't even working just now. Hopefully the above link will show you what I have to work with.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Since Max is a German Shepherd, I think it would take something more like a Zodiac than a kayak. The man needs his room you know.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
can you make some brackets that hold the canoe above the tent? That way the canoe is running front to back, and the brackets hold it above the tent. If you're confused, i can draw it on MS paint.

Nice truck, too.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I am hoping to have it where the front of the canoe is as far forward on the rack with only a small amount angling over the front of the tent. Otherwise I will be towering over semi's and turned back by lack of overpass clearance.
:peepwall:

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Schattenjager said:
I will be towering over semi's and turned back by lack of overpass clearance.
:peepwall:

Just lower the truck! I hear you man. I'm having a rack made to hold a future RTT(Maggiolina) and am not sure how to carry the canoe and RTT when I get it. Looking forward to seeing solutions that come up.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
DiscoveryXD said:
can you make some brackets that hold the canoe above the tent? That way the canoe is running front to back, and the brackets hold it above the tent. If you're confused, i can draw it on MS paint.

Nice truck, too.

Thanks for the kind words - you are obviously someone possessing superior taste in auto form and function. :snorkel:

I am constantly confused - pictures books are always my first destination at Barnes & Noble.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
ok, here's a REALLY bad drawing of what i'm thinking of... The canoe is obviously going to sit much lower, and the mounts are just sticks to show where they could go. Maybe the brackets could be removeable, or fold down somehow... just ideas.

but like you said, it's really tall!

toyo.jpg

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I know when Hltoppr had his 80, he had some crazy wide load bars with a Con ferr rack that we modified, a Hannibal tent, and 2 kayaks.

profilepic330_1.gif

attachment.php

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Schattenjager said:
Well I am too cleaver by half, again. I have my RTT mounted to the new rack system with LOTS of frontal acreage for extra gear or lounging on in 'deck' like fashion, but I am stumped regarding having the RTT and a 16' canoe at the same time. A new, smaller canoe is the only option I can think of, but that is going to piss Max off mightily. Can't really have that...

Any ideas?

http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp64/schattenjager27/?action=view&current=rr2.jpg

Well... photobucket isn't even working just now. Hopefully the above link will show you what I have to work with.

how about a canoe trailer?

or

http://www.tucktech.com/

or

http://www.pakboats.com/unde.htm

You've basically got to choose one of these:

- have the tent up there.(choose a canoe that doesn't need rooftop space)
- have the canoe up there.(go back to ground tenting/truckbed tent)
- mount both and be as tall as a skyscraper, with a insanely high COG, and a pretty lame aesthetic.
- tow the canoe/boat behind your truck.

thats the way i see it. :)

we have an old town canoe that we are restoring and will hopefully get us hooked onto paddling. If we do get hooked, i'd definitely look into one of those break down styles. they seem very light/very handy.

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
A folding or assemble on site boat would be one of my suggestions. Or, how about fashioning an "A" frame that you could bolt to the brush guard and use that to support the bow of the boat, while the stern would be resting on the roof rack up against the RTT? I can do a "paint" type of illustration too if the idea is not clear....

snipecatcher

Adventurer
I don't have a whole lot of experience with RTT's, but I do have experience with racks and canoes/kayaks! Can't you take the RTT and throw it inside the shell until you get to where you are going, then bolt it up? Seems to me like the only logical way of going about this is to sacrifice something, possibly by just doing away with the tent when you plan on canoeing. Sleeping in the shell isn't THAT bad is it? I slept in the front seat of my X-cab Tuesday night, and it's gotta be better than that, lol.
-Dan

AZCPP

Adventurer
Ok, I have been sitting on this idea for quit some time and I quess I will share it. This would permit opening of your RTT without removing your boat. Here is a quickly drawn picture.
rttboatrack.jpg

Have two "hoops bent that would span your rack's width, these would mount in front and behind the rtt. you would need two or three cross bars to keep the two hoops tied together. Mount the hoops to the rack with builder bushing welded to the ends of the hoops and tab's welded to the rack. I would use bolts with lock nuts on the side that just pivots and a removable pin on the side that will release. Mount two gas strut's to the hoops and the rack to assist in lifting the rack to one side. The drawling shows the strut's but, I know they are not mounted in the proper placement. You would want to have a length of rope that would clip onto the boat rack so you can just pull it back down after you fold up your tent. Remember this is a loose idea that I have stored in my head to take it for what it is!
Builder bushing and tab.
bushing.jpg

tab.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior