RTT and rack recommendations for a 5.5' F150?

zimm17

Observer
Thinking about putting a RTT on a rack onto a short bed F150. We'll have a small travel trailer for the wife, dog and I, but setting up the dinette for the boys every night gets tiring plus I think they'll like having their own "tree house". So the kids can use the RTT.

Added bonus, I can use the RTT when it's just me going out on mini-adventures.

Third way to use it would be if I get around to building/buying an adventure trailer for my Jeep, I can use it for overloading trips.

Thoughts on using an RTT for this? Hardshell or flip open? Rack recommendations? Do I want telescoping, or keep it low just over the bed? I'd like to be able to keep the bedding inside while folded up. Lighter weight to move it on and off the truck or hang from the garage ceiling when not in use would be great.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
For the use case you are describing, I think it is hard to go wrong with one of the small soft-shell tents like the Tepui Ayer (not sure if Thule uses the same names). Easily holds 2-3 kids, is perfect for solo trips, light enough to hang from a garage roof, small enough to have over your 5.5 bed, and still of good quality. At one point I had 2 of them, and I regret selling them when I moved up to a a very large tent. Sometimes it would be nice to still have something little and fast around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears