RTT annex question

4runnersb

I bought a RTT with annex from Geo Adventure Gear from Venezuela. I like it so far and it looks like a descent quality tent. The first time I took it out it rained lightly for a few hours with virtually no wind blowing. The annex leaked very bad from the upper and lower zippers. It was coming in through the rain flaps that go over the zippers and siphoning right through the zippers. There was literally a pool of water on the floor. Nothing was touching the tent where it was leaking. I contacted them and they informed me all other makers' annexes leaked just the same. I find that hard to believe. Does anyone else have any experience with camping in the rain with their annex? Did yours leak? I ordered some LiquidOff to put all around the rain flap over the zippers. Has anyone used that stuff before?

lugueto

Adventurer
I have no experience with RTT Annexes and rain, but being venezuelan I do have experience with their customer service. In short, IT SUCKS. They will never admit their product is at flaw, even when it obviously is, so don't believe them when they say other people's products fail in the same way as theirs (which is an admittance to failure in the first place).

Their tents used to be pretty good quality items, they used to sell some decent chinese ones and they had a venezuelan brand make a tent for them (The Brand was Mare, awesome quality, 100% venezuelan built with great materials). This being said you still can't compare them to the likes of ARB, CVT or any recognized quality tent. I don't think a 2000$ tent would have such bad zippers (when they explicitly spec quality zippers, for example) or such crappy customer service.

If I were you, I would simply use a chemical treatment to repel water and avoid it from leaking in as much as I could. I assume you're not in Venezuela and you can't visit GEO as to complain directly to them?

4runnersb

I live in Oklahoma. The only reason I went ahead a got it was they have a store in Florida. I don't want to drive down there either though. I got it off their ebay store so I can give them a proper survey score for their ability to handle problems. I just want to get my facts straight first. It came with the (what is supposed to be) nicer ladder but it had problems. I ran into the problem you speak of about them admitting a problem. I even sent them a video of it failing in action. They did finally say they would ship me the ladder I asked for but it would be 6-8 weeks. It hasn't been that long so I cant say yet if they followed through.

campfj

I have had the exact same problems with my RTT from geo adventure gear. I have the 65" model. I replaced my ladder with a tepui ladder. The quality is much better and now the RTT is much more stable. To be fair GEO did offer to replace my ladder but I wanted something more heavy duty than the one that they provide. As for the leak problem I noticed when my annex it higher up (more extended) it doesn't leak as bad. I am going to try waxing the zippers on both top and bottom this weekend while we are camping and next time it rains I will let you guys know if it makes any difference.

Chili

Explorer
I have not had the issue in my CVT annex, but can see where it could be possible with wind driven rain. Fortunately, the rain we have been in was falling virtually straight down.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
When I put the annex on my Tepui, the only place I can forsee water entering is the ladder holes. The entire perimeter slides in a channel on the extrusion on the edge. Past that, the tents lower canvas flap folds OVER that extrusion so it will run off that, onto the annex. Past that, its a tight fit all around

4runnersb

Thanks for the info guys. I did get the ladder that I wanted. It is a lot better and more fail safe. It took them 8 weeks. In between that time I had the RTT out again in about 8 hours of off and on rain and it leaked just about everywhere in the main tent. I took pictures and sent them emails a number of times before they finally answered after 2 weeks. I called their Florida number and no one answers and the answering machine is not English. They would never answer my question in my emails about the tent leaking. They just keep saying if I wanted to pay to send the tent to Florida they would check it for defects. With my experience with them, seeing that they take forever to even reply much less shipping and won't admit fault I decided to not waste my money in shipping and try some other waterproofing. I tried the Liquid Off when it came in on the annex and it was a joke. After that I tried Atsko Water Guard in a spray can and seemed to be working with the water hose test. I'll be taking it out in a few weeks and I'm sure we will get rained on where we are going so I'll find out soon. I would recommend anyone looking for a new RTT to NOT use Geo Adventure Gear. They are very difficult to get ahold of and to deal with.

Thanks for the info guys. I did get the ladder that I wanted. It is a lot better and more fail safe. It took them 8 weeks. In between that time I had the RTT out again in about 8 hours of off and on rain and it leaked just about everywhere in the main tent. I took pictures and sent them emails a number of times before they finally answered after 2 weeks. I called their Florida number and no one answers and the answering machine is not English. They would never answer my question in my emails about the tent leaking. They just keep saying if I wanted to pay to send the tent to Florida they would check it for defects. With my experience with them, seeing that they take forever to even reply much less shipping and won't admit fault I decided to not waste my money in shipping and try some other waterproofing. I tried the Liquid Off when it came in on the annex and it was a joke. After that I tried Atsko Water Guard in a spray can and seemed to be working with the water hose test. I'll be taking it out in a few weeks and I'm sure we will get rained on where we are going so I'll find out soon. I would recommend anyone looking for a new RTT to NOT use Geo Adventure Gear. They are very difficult to get ahold of and to deal with.

WOW... Unbelievable... Sorry your are going through this buddy! Hopefully you get reimbursed or they at least attempt to take care of you with a replacement, not that that would help much from the sound of it though... Good luck

Cascadia-vehicle-tents

Supporting Sponsor

Good morning!

I am sorry to hear of your issues. If you do not get them resolved we would be more than happy to take your tent in on trade. Call me at 541-419-2790 if you would like to discuss.
Kind regards,
Bobby

spikemd

Explorer
Good morning!

I am sorry to hear of your issues. If you do not get them resolved we would be more than happy to take your tent in on trade. Call me at 541-419-2790 if you would like to discuss.
Kind regards,
Bobby

Wow, very generous. Now THAT is customer service and you aren't even a customer yet!

4runnersb

Good morning!

Kind regards,
Bobby
Wow that is generous. Thanks for the offer Bobby. I'm fixing to go on a trip so if I don't get a chance to call before I go I will call when I get back.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good morning!

Kind regards,
Bobby

Very nice gesture Bobby.
Customer service goes a long way, and that right there is pay it forward customer service.
Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12